Quick Question Thread

Height maps are very often used for terrain. The only big downside I know of them is that you can’t have caves with them, but they are very often used as most games don’t need caves in their terrain.

1 Like

Oh… so how would it work? Would caves be generated after the surface terrain or something?

1 Like

I don’t know, I haven’t looked into it. The problem with height maps is that they cannot have holes in them (at least in any implementation I’ve happened to see), so in fact you can’t even add caves afterwards.

1 Like

But how does Minecraft actually create the caves then? It doesn’t have heightmaps?

Minecraft has voxel based terrain. It’s really popular method to make terrain that can be modified by the player and it allows any shape including caves, voxels also allow you to use the same technology for all placed stuff (most placeable things in minecraft are the same kind of voxels the terrain is made out of) making it a very powerful technique.

2 Likes

Then, why wouldn’t Thrive use such a thing?

1 Like

you’re right, everyone wants THRIVECRAFT, the best survive&evolve game that will ever exist! amazing idea dude!

5 Likes

A concept that I heard would be “marching cubes terrain,” which renders like minecraft, but with triangles instead of cubes.
Smaller terain details would be done through textures and small rock models.
This video was reccomended as Thrive’s basis for terrain generation.

4 Likes

So are Thrive’s terrain gonna use voxels? I indeed seen that it has potential for really interesting terrains and, of course, caves.

In the next releases, will microbes be able to change environmental aspects (gas %, temperature, pH/pOH, compounds) depending on their processes just as it was like before the engine change?

In 0.3.0’s, microbes could eject their compounds automatically.

Considering this, there could be an oxygenation-like event. Also, will the next releases feature more random gas percentage instead of using Earth’s? I know that the game would then need a process rebalance because the percentage wouldn’t be the same, but I think it would be more realistic that way.
Final question: Do the current processes respect the balanced equations’ stoichiometry? If not, will they be re-tweaked to respect them?
2 Likes

Not decided: 0.4.4 Features Discussion Thread - Gameplay - Thrive Development Forum

The great oxygenation event has been talked about a lot.

Nope.

When someone balances the game while following them.

What will thrive look like when it is done because i’m worried that it will look like spore did.

2 Likes

There is no definite answer to that question since the game is still in relatively early stages, but looking at everything the devs have said, it certainly won’t look like Spore.

Will the Thrive launcher ever display MB/GB instead of Bytes when downloading?

1 Like

That was already added. I’m waiting to get some more features done before releasing the next version of the launcher.

How will you guys make sesile creatures gameplay fun? And is NicktheNicks evolution system already in thrive?

That’s a question for the ages… My idea is to make the game focus entirely on evolutionary strategy if you can’t meaningfully move your organism.

Not yet.

The algorithm isn’t done yet.

1 Like

Is there plans for adding download mirrors? My internet is really slow (3.5 megabits to be exact) and Github limits how much files can take to download untill the downloads ends up being canceled. I would prefer a torrent download since it can download for a indefinite period of time untill it’s obviously finished, but you people can also use Google Drive if you find setting a torrent difficult and/or expensive.

I don’t have plans on adding torrent downloads, as I don’t have an easy way to setup something to indefinitely seed the torrents, so I would have to initially myself seed the torrent on my computer for some time and then just leaving it up to the community. And regarding google drive, I found that google places some limits on the downloads of things from there, so we would have to pay for professional G Suite to share our files.

If anyone wants to make a torrent for thrive downloads they are completely free to do so as the compiled releases are freely redistributable.