Quick Question Thread

“Can I make a sword underwater”

vanishes from the material plane

4 Likes

This is scary! I didn’t know you could call mods like that, but if I’d ever done accidently…

A while back, I was just doing something silly: private message to system just to see if someone would even answer. I didn’t know it could have been illegal. Thankfully, you’re saying that it’s not illegal.
I won’t risk calling these mods by putting an intermediary character to allow Murphy’s laws to intervene in the situation.

Is there anything else I should know?

Of note is that these editors/choices are already accessible to NPC cells - for appearance, several membrane textures and RGB colors can be selected. For behavior, there are 4 personality variables.
In its most simple incarnation, the appearance and behavior editors would simply be a way to choose those with sliders and the like.
A more advanced behavior editor would include automatic adaptation to the player’s style, as well as more specific behavior programming (like towards a specific species).

2 Likes

Why is the censor word Belgium?

It’s a reference to “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”.

1 Like

I read the first book only. Where in Hitchhiker’s Guide?

I don’t know, I never read the book, only the wiki page that mentions it.

It’s one of the many throwaway jokes Douglas Adams constantly makes throughout the book, where he denotes the worst possible insult in the universe to be ‘Belgium’, which then coincidentally corresponded with the country on Earth. It’s comparable to something like the Babel fish proving/disproving God at the same time, and the telekinetic drinking game, where it’s some just some small joke that never gets mentioned again,

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it is in the beginning of the first book where it is referenced for the first time.
Second time I’m posting this link on these forums:

2 Likes

Nah, the first book started with a criticism of “unhappy people using green strips of paper.”
“Belgium” is uttered later in the series, where Dent and Beeblebrox are falling. A joke at the same time, I think, was “flying is just falling and missing the ground.”

1 Like

Maybe it was the movie adaptation (2005), then. But I remember that in the intro sequence it is said that belgium happens to be a place on Earth and the most offensive word in the galaxy.

1 Like

I have no Idea, I only read the first book. But thanks anyway. (oddly I remember the drinking game description.)

So I remember on the old forum (or maybe it was Reddit) a developper said that planets in Thrive will be bigger than those in Spore but smaller than the moon, is this still the plan?

1 Like

oof I didn’t see that thread in a while and wanted to get that necro myself for even longer. Oh well.

I don’t how to answer your question, but I would agree with bigger planets in the game than Spore’s. Instead of being smaller than the Moon, it could just be as big as in Space Engineers. In that game, Earth is like really huge! Though, all celestial bodies in that game are of the same size, so Thrive’s should be proportional.
A way to avoid lag in those circumstances would be to use dynamic data, thus putting the computer power to the RAM instead of the CPU/GPU. Like the planet could be loaded only when close enough, and then the outer space isn’t considered into account. Things should be dynamic to play on bigger planets.

We’re going to make the planets as realistically sized as we can. Technical limitations are probably going to force us to compromise something regarding the planet size.

3 Likes

But would dynamic data (like loading a map/planet only when necessary) make it easier to load?

That is absolutely necessary. It’s simply impossible to have big game worlds without dynamically loading in the content as the player moves around.

2 Likes

In the society stage, will you be able to play against another sentient species other than yours?

Depends on timescales. For example see this:

Another question: would it be possible to use heightmaps for planets?

1 Like