Quick Question Thread

Yeah, whatever we do it will be awesome

2 Likes

Could it be…
Good ol’ save slots??

1 Like

One thing i would like is more control over where your save begins. I dont really care about where you spawn in a system, but would like to have more freedom of where you can be, unlike spore in which you have a select few planets to choose in certain areas.

It is good ol’ saves with a bunch of sliders (and premade settings)

1 Like

I think it would be cool if after you customize your planet it shows an animation of it searching through planets like as if the planet already existed and your just finding it. You could even have multiple choices to choose from like 3 or something same thing with random I think this just makes it seem more immersive then just making a planet pop up.

1 Like

sorry for the double post but its been 3 days
will their be a preset setting to make a earth replica so you could see how different the world could have been like full on with the same continents and non controllable events like asteroid impacts and giant volcanic eruptions. I imajion this would also help with fine tuning the auto-evo as you can compare real animals to the games to see if its working right plus it would just be cool to play on earth

1 Like

It would be a huge amount of work to get something very similar to earth to be generated, even if we specifically made a manual tweak to the generator to make something more earth-like. We aren’t trying to make an earth history simulator so this will most likely be left out. The best we’ll do is a preset for earth like size and similar overall Biome properties. I could be wrong but it is just so much work.

Similarly including earth as an easter egg in the space stage won’t include humans or a very accurate model of the earth as it would be just way too much work.

3 Likes

thats fine im sure someone will make a mod or something at some point I just think it would be cool to see how life could have been on earth. But if you do end up making earth as an easter egg you guys should have space stage humans and earth animals I know you guys are staying away from preset generated worlds but I think earth should be an exception, it would be cool to fight/ trade with humans.

The reason Earth will most likely never appear in Thrive (at least accurately) is due to the shear workload that trying to mimic even just human civilization takes. It would take a team of skilled experts over a paid year to make an accurate Earth, which are two things Thrive doesn’t have for making an Earth, Time and a paid Team.

1 Like
  1. how will the player reach reproduction in aware stage like how in the microbe stage you absorb compounds would you just eat food or do you have to grow up and reach maturity.

2. will there be multiple ways of reproducing in multicultural like spores, budding, fission, and sexual.

1 Like

1.I’m sure growing to reach maturity that is basically what you do right now (you have to duplicate all your organelles and “grow up” first to get to the editor even in microbe stage.) You aren’t just gathering compounds you use those compounds to duplicate your organelles before you get to the editor.

2.And yes even in the microbe stage we will have conjugation and budding as alternatives to mitosis.

2 Likes
  1. so you start as a baby/egg and you grow to sexual maturity is what your saying right.
  2. I like the variation that will give
1 Like

Yep that’s it.

when is 0.4.0 coming out is it in Aug, sep, or latter I know you guys dont really know but what is the “around this time” guess

It is difficult to say because how much I’ve been able to get done has varied widely and it’s starting to look that the most difficult changes that require actual design are not going to get done on days that I have work and even on weekends I’ve found it very difficult to get progress done on the difficult issues. So it might actually take like 3-4 months (I’ll have more time once the school year starts again and I won’t be working as much).

And with @Untrustedlife also having a job that’s both of us active programmers very exhausted and unable to do a lot for thrive.

2 Likes

ok thank you for the information

Hi, I wanted to ask you a question. What programming language(s) will the next engine be using?

It is written in C++ like most engines. It uses AngelScript as the scripting language for gameplay code. In thrive almost half of the code is AngelScript. And then for the GUI it uses JavaScript + html and css (basically a Web page).

1 Like

You mean for the Thrive launcher, right?

The launcher is an electron app. But the game itself uses CEF to show the GUI, so the GUI there as well is a full web page.

1 Like