Quick Question Thread

i think they mean that the creature can only see certain places, and there a still blind spots

How will movement in solar systems be organised? Will there be real orbits (as in KSP) and time or we simply will do Stellaris/Spore like system?

1 Like

But how would the player see the world as a creature with composite eyes that sorround the head

Probably something for VR. As for a regular monitor, well… I’d be interested to see what the devs have in mind.

That’s an excellent question, and definitely a belgiume to answer.
I don’t recall if we ever came up with any concrete plans regarding perspective in the later stages, so I cannot give any definite answer. However; Assuming we are going with first person perspective that changes based on the sensory layout of the organism, we will either need to allow the player to turn their “focus” around completely 360 degrees (But have a sort of radar ping when something enters your visual field of view outside of focus), or allow the player to use third person view.

Good question; And not one I can rightly answer at the moment I am afraid. The space stage is incredibly far off and is not concrete in design. In my honest opinion, I feel that involving orbital mechanics in full detail could make for a really steep learning curve.
I would personally love it, but just remember that KSP is based entirely around the concept of orbital mechanics, and is made for people who love orbital mechanics. Many players may not like the intensive calculations and minute design decisions and management they would be forced to make to get things where they need to be. I should mention that at this point you will be managing an entire space faring civilization at this point, so it could potentially be intense if you have to constantly think about the current orbital alignment of each vessel and station.
It is possible we may end up with something closer to a strategic generalization of what’s going on, such as how Stellaris’s star map is laid out instead. But I cannot make any promises until we get to that point.

3 Likes

The early space stage is all about making your planet’s first spaceships and flying them around your solar system.
So at that stage, it makes perfect sense to model how rockets actually fly between planets.

Of course later on when you are controlling fleets or hundreds of ships, you won’t be making manual adjustments to their orbits, instead they’d fly themselves to where you want them to go.

4 Likes

Will there be cutscenes (apart from the ones already in the game) that could play at certain times?
Like a meteor or a moon (Yay destruction and mass extinction!) from the sky?

how much will placing cells in the multicellular editor cost? Will it have a fixed cost or will the cost change based on the cell?

1 Like

A while back, I saw somewhere on the dev forums saying that the price will differ based on the cell.

1 Like

That’s hard to say. I recall there being a general idea among the developers that cutscenes for interstage transitions are not the way to go, as we would want transitions to be more seamless. I imagine that might extend to events as well, since it could be fairly jarring to suddenly have your attention forcibly ripped to whatever is going on in some manner of cinematic diversion. It would probably be cool, and could help clear some confusion in the event that the player doesn’t quite understand what is going on, but I personally feel like it wouldn’t quite fit into Thrive with our current direction.

I’m glad you brought this up. The cost of parts in multicellular has completely eluded my attention until now. I’m afraid I don’t have any firm answers on it, but I feel that the ideal amount of parts you could place on your organism would be around 3 per generation, but it’s something we would just have to play with to get a feel for.

Alot of the cost in the multicellular stage might actually be in editing and specializing cells rather than just placing them. It’s something we will have to experiment with to get a good satisfying balance between growing your creature, and optimizing it’s parts.

I’m not entirely confident about that. Once you reach a certain point in multicellular stage, you will be placing entire tissues instead of individual cells, so at that point the size of each cell will not matter anymore. If it does turn out to be a problem in the earlier parts of the stage we might have to think of a solution then, but for now I believe it is merely a potential concern, and by no means a priority.

Edit: When I say size won’t matter, I don’t mean it will no longer have an impact. Cells, and by extent, tissues will still be subject to osmoregulation cost due to size. Aside from that, cell size will not have any impact on your tissue.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t the specialization of cell’s have a separate MP bar? That would be more realistic (because cells don’t specialize one at the time as if they were in a waiting line.).

1 Like

I think it works gameplay-wise much better if you have a single MP bar that you can either spend on placing more cells, or customizing any of the cell types, or a combination of the two.

1 Like

Why is the language option in the sound tab?

1 Like

Because for games that have spoken language it makes total sense to have it there. So for consistency / to fit those expectations it’s also in there for Thrive. Where else would it be? It’s not very nice if almost every single option under the sun needs to be thrown into the misc tab.

2 Likes

Probably depends on how much nutrients each cell has?

Huh. So, question.
While I know that the devs have been talking about patch creation and working on getting an actual world around, I haven’t seen any discussion on natural resource distribution, but I may have just missed it. So, do we have a thread I just missed?

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by natural resource distribution, but there are discussions on the dev forums talking about planet generation, so you might have some answers there. Right now, we aren’t really at a point where some system besides what is in the game/simulation already needs to calculate distribution (microbes do a pretty decent job of spreading) so discussion isn’t as active concerning that.

I have a question related to the development of Thrive. How feasible is it for a previous stage to be worked on when a later stage has been implemented? By that, I mean: if the multicellular/aware/awakening stage is being worked on, how possible is retroactively and concurrently doing work on the microbe/multicellular/aware stage ( the stage prior to the latest stage currently in the game)?

Since evolution is so linear and each stage is meant to be as continuous as possible, I was wondering how going back and editing or adding something to a prior stage would effect a current stage. If, for example, a new microbe organelle is added, I wonder if there could be concerns of integration and balancing that organelle in the future stage, or creating a whole new evolutionary niche/path from that organelle which would present new anatomical features later down the line. Since we are just now getting the lightest hints of multicellular stage, I felt that question has been becoming more relevant.

1 Like

When it comes to new features like organelles which will carry over to later stages, there is indeed gonna be some concern with how it will balance out in later stages. This will mean more work put into playtesting, and depending on additional mechanics present, more work into implementation of additional systems in the other stages.

This will mean that adding new parts and such will be less attractive for the developers, but not entirely unfeasible.

2 Likes

Isn’t this something that’s just as likely to occur the other way round though? Features in the current stage should preferably be set-up by something in the previous stage. e.g.:
We want animals to have shells.
They get shells by having a tissue that exudes shell stuff.
They make that tissue by equipping certain cells with an organelle.
Is there any reason microbes couldn’t have that organelle?
No. So we should implement its functionality in the microbe stage too.

Even worse would be features that fundamentally affect what the player species will be like when the stage transition point is reached. Compared to that, the additional effort required to make new organelles play nice with later stages is easy.

2 Likes