Quick Question Thread

If your species is oriented towards individualism like humans, wouldn’t it be better if the stage takes into account that the player’s leader is actually a person and not actually an entire group?

1 Like

what will be in the 0.5.5 update?

Bugfixes, 3d-shaded cells, AI improvements… apparently the signaling agents is going to be postponed into 0.5.6.

Will there be a “Hardcore” game mode so to speak, wherein if your entire species goes extinct, you lose your save(s). This would be way more realistic.

1 Like

Hard to say, I am unsure if there is any significant demand for such a thing. Depending on how difficult it would be to set up, it’s probably not going to be a high priority feature.

It’s probably pretty easy, as long as you don’t need to somehow detect which saves are related to the current game (ie. just deleting all save files is fine). Someone can probably swoop in, make one PR about that, and then as it is pretty easy to hook into the death mechanic, it’ll probably keep working just fine.

When in a colony the storage of ammonia and phosphate fills up instead of fully adding to the reproduction bars, is this intended?

Also, when the cell storage of those two fills up completely, collected compounds don’t add to the reproduction bars at all anymore until you disband the colony. I believe this was already the case in the previous version. Is this a known bug?

It is 100% intentional that you can’t progress towards reproduction while in a colony.
It might be allowed in the future, but adding new organelles and trying to reposition the colony members will be very tricky to program, and there’s still already plenty of bugs with the colonies.

I’m not sure you understand what I meant, right now you do “progress” (according to the reproduction bars) towards reproduction while in a colony. The bars for around the reproduction button fill up, even if the organelles are not duplicating until you disband the colony. It’s just that when you form colonies immediately after reproducing your storage sometimes fills up before the reproduction bars fill up, so you get stuck with reproduction bars that refuse to move. So I need to disband the colony, then hover up all the cells again if I want to continue as a colony until reproducing.

But I think I understand what’s going on now: the reproduction bars are tracking not just the duplicated organelles, but phosphate and ammonia in the general storage as well? So with a fresh cell you don’t have enough storage to contain the required phosphate and ammonia to reproduce, but disbanding the colony and duplicating organelles gives you enough storage to do so. Have I got that correctly?

That is the case (they track already used + in storage ammonia and phosphate). And with the recent storage nerfs it is possible to make a cell that can’t store enough to compounds to divide all at once. I’m a bit surprised that it is possible to make a cell that has binding agents but not enough storage to duplicate everything.

Ha, that must mean I make weird cells, it’s happened on most of my playthroughs so far.

Anyway, I guess the confusion from me came because outside colonies, phosphate and ammonia don’t add to the storage at all until you have enough for reproduction. Even if you, say, collect only ammonia, it gets “used up” for the duplication of organelles even if you don’t actually duplicate any organelles because of no phosphate. I guess I was expecting similar behaviour while in a colony, “using up” the ammonia and phosphate without actually duplicating organelles until you disband.

Not sure if that is worth changing if it’s just a weird edge case with specific cell builds.

It used to be that reproduction was slow, so even outside a colony you would see your storage fill up first and then slowly tick down as it took like a few seconds for each organelle to divide. We moved that model to change organelles to grow instantly if there’s enough compounds, as that previous model didn’t feel very good.

Would it be possible to add an anglish translation file to the Weblate page? It’s not on Weblate’s basic languages list, and I’d like to make an anglish translation for Thrive

What language is that?

Anglish refers to linguistic purism for English; basically, it’s English but without any loanwords or things like that

I see, I had a guess that it was a “joke” language. If it can’t be added in weblate (maybe there is a way to add custom languages?), then it would at least be possible to make a translation for example with poedit, but anytime it needs to be updated someone would need to make a PR on Github to update it.

The new translation page says that the project maintainers can add languages besides the basic languages availible in the drop-down menu, so hopefully it should be possible just in weblate

Well it doesn’t show it to me in the list. It might be something I would need to add to the weblate config file, but I’m not really sure what to add.

Are we ever going to see cheats in Thrive? I was thinking about how fun it would be to just mess around. Or have a non interference policy and just use cheats to watch the auto-evo work its magic

There are actually cheats already in the game, you can find them in the inputs tab of the options menu. And there’s also the freebuild mode.