Quick Question Thread

since multicellularity already exists in thrive, technically the second stage is implemented to a degree, but you can switch between.
however, microbe stage is only 56.1% complete so there is that.

You are not a multicellular organism when you bind to others of your species.
You are a ā€œcolonyā€ of independent single cell organisms.

You will only fit the ā€œmulticellularā€ definition once your cells are dependent upon each other for survival, and therefore unable to leave each other.

1 Like

oh. i didnā€™t know. thanks for giving me the difference.

1 Like

Why is the game language selection under the ā€œSoundā€ tab in the options? Wouldnā€™t it be more fit under ā€œMiscā€?

Edit: we wonā€™t be getting voice acting, will we? At least not in the foreseeable future.

Probably not, but thereā€™s so much stuff to dump into the misc tab that I think it works well enough to fill out the sound tab with the language options. I hope that people would have the experience of playing other games with voice acting where you would naturally find the language option under the sound options.

This was probably asked before, but what project will Revolutionary Game Studios (RGS) work on after Thrive? Iā€™d expect the dev team to maintain Thrive and when there are enough people, I guess that one team would be for Thrive maintenance and the other for the project.

Given that RGS should focus on scientifically accurate games, I would not be surprised they did something like Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey or Thrive Odyssey (Thrive, but more human alternate/history oriented).

@hhyyrylainen, what is your opinion on the matter?

Maybe it could be a situation where the previous dominant species, instead of going extinct, could leave the planet thus allowing for other species to rise in dominance yet again.

I guess it is theoretically possible that we would reach a point where thereā€™s really nothing to add to Thrive anymore. But that is still probably at least decades away. I would take a guess that it would be pretty difficult to decide on another game project to start, but likely not everyone would be on board, after all people volunteer because they are interested in making Thrive.

3 Likes

I hope that one day, RGS will have enough money to hire several programmers.

1 Like

Best I could think of is occasional side projects like an educational and/or mobile addition. Or maybe even other mediums like Thrive/evolution themed boardgames and the likes.

With that said, I donā€™t think we are likely to see that for some time, if ever.

1 Like

Is the game just poorly optimised or is my computer just that terrible? I have a pretty horrid computer but Thrive runs worse than games like Genshin Impact and Unturned. Not shitting on it but if it is the optimisation we need some real heavy optimisation needed.

Yes, the game needs performance improving:

0.5.7 is coming in a week and tomorrow thereā€™ll be a release candidate out. One of the things I did for that version was to cut the number of allowed game entities to \frac{1}{3} which now on my computer makes it very rare that performance drops to less than 30 FPS, whereas before when a lot of stuff spawned things were able to fall even below 10 FPS and stay there. I do want to find out what part of the game is causing the slowness, but for now, weā€™ll just need to go with the reduced entity count to address the performance problems.

1 Like

Has anyone else noticed the AI Cells swimming through the natural toxins with no care for their self preservation?

Probably yeah. As far as I remember the AI code has no specific logic to try to avoid environmental or fired toxins.

How do I get thrive to start on steam? Itā€™s not working when I press the start button in the launcher (not the steam launcher but I start up the launcher on steam and I canā€™t get any further).

Do the Thrive versions downloaded from Github (with the normal launcher) work? Do you get that quite long help text in the launcher in the Steam version saying to install microsoft C runtime parts? If so, then you likely donā€™t have Windows 10. The Steam version is only guaranteed to work with Windows 10, some people have gotten it to run on Windows 8 by installing the Universal C Runtime (this seems to be some version of it: Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows).

I have windows 10, so thatā€™s not whats causing itā€¦
Iā€™ll need to get back to you on downloading the launcher from github though.

So you donā€™t have a system DLL problem when starting? Then that should mean that the Thrive game window would at least appear before crashing. What do you actually see when you press play? Does the Thrive window showing the logo show up for a second before crashing? If thatā€™s the case, then it could be a videoplayback problem. If the Github version of Thrive crashes and also if you could confirm that Godot Editor doesnā€™t work on your computer either, then we can consider this to be an engine issue.

The Godot engine works, I just need to figure it out like I did with Unity. The actual thrive game window doesnā€™t even show up, it just tries to load the game, fails, and than gives me an error. I think its something about not having the right files, but itā€™s been a while since I tried it but it hasnā€™t updated on steam since then so the same thing should happen if I try again. I havenā€™t tried launching it on Godot either, so I guess thatā€™s worth a try.

So Thrive Steam version does not start at all? Does the game output in the launcher show any text whatsoever? The version of Thrive on Github is compiled with a different compiler and has different requirements regarding running it.