Quick Question Thread

I see. I was just worrying about the chance players could go through an unplayable save.

Well I’m sure if that becomes a pervasive bug the devs’ll figure out how to prevent it, but I don’t see that being an issue.

1 Like

What do you mean? What other types of autotrophs are in Thrive?

I think the intention was to say it’s not just plants, it’s those other examples as well.

By the way, does anyone know how the auto-evo calculates fitness for things like photosynthesis? I noted changing the membrane type severely reduced it.

1 Like

ANYTHING that does not involve eating other cells, cell parts, or glucose is a form of autotrophy.

Sulfide clouds? Autotrophic.

Iron eater? Autotrophic.

Thermal? More like Auto.

Radiation basking? (Planned) Autotrophic again.

There is eating other cells, which is not autotrophy
 and then there is literally everything else.

If you read my original post, I did mention all of these.

I don’t know what this means.

Auto-evo changes so often that describing exact details is going to be a lot of work and quickly wrong. Basically someone would need to transliterate the code each time it is changed into English, and even that is basically as hard to follow as the logic laid out unambiguously with code.

Why would someone “need to transliterate the code each time it is changed into English”? (?)
I just asked if it did something currently. Which shouldn’t be hard to tell if it’s as unambiguous as you claim.
I, for one, can’t read that.

Also I didn’t mean to make such a fuss. I was expecting more so a clear-cut yes/no answer, like Buckly provided. Less so a discussion on what autotrophs are and aren’t, which I already know.

I believe the code was just the answer to my question on fitness for energy sources in the auto-evo calculation (which I appreciate, thanks!), so not a response to your earlier question.

On that topic though it seems to just be entirely(?) based on the energy balance of the cell, which seems wrong to me. But I can’t be sure since I don’t know what the incoming external variables mean.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was answering @Rathalos The auto-evo source code is the only exact answer to any auto-evo question that can’t be answered with just the basic overview that has been answered a bunch of times already. Requiring some kind of algorithm description document or some other complication regarding updating the auto-evo code, would make it even less likely that people update it. Even now it doesn’t get anywhere near enough attention it deserves.

4 Likes

If that’s the case, then you are asking the wrong follow up questions.
Because I was directly answering one of your follow up questions.

The answer to this question is: all of the atp sources in the game, except direct glucose clouds and predation. You can read their descriptions in the game itself.
That’s why I said it. It is simply the correct answer.

As to the original question, even though it was already answered, the sheer amount of different organelles in the game that give autotrophic energy sources, as well as the sheer benefits they give, makes the idea that none of them would be selected for ridiculous.

Fine. But you interpreted my question wrong. I was asking which other type of autotroph existed in Thrive beside those we already mentioned. It was kind of a rhetoric question as, sure enough, there are none. I see, however, how I may have caused the confusion.

I also would like to apologise to everyone on this thread as I got a little tilted yesterday when typing my replies. You may have noticed.

But don’t call my ideas ridiculous. That’s very rude. “Very unlikely”, or “almost impossible”, perhaps would be better in this case.

1 Like

I wanted to focus a bit on this part. Regardless of obvious benefits of an organelle to a player, their value in the auto-evo must still be programmed separately. Since this is still a game in development, whether that work has already been done at any point is very much up in the air.

So, asking whether the auto-evo takes a certain aspect into account is never a ridiculous question.

Also, fun fact everyone: The terms autotroph/heterotroph actually refer to what an organism uses as carbon source, not energy source. For example, photo-organo-heterotrophs which collect organic compounds to make their own, use light for their energy but also need to break down organic compounds to do that photosynthesis. They might seem a bit silly in terms of thrive gameplay, but they do exist in real life.

As they don’t produce glucose, that makes Thrive’s rusticyanin users technically not autotrophs. (Though thrive doesn’t simulate the need for organic carbon in general)

1 Like

why are my cells dying randomly in multicellular prototype, what i mean is ill just be engulfing the corpses of my species or my enemies and just somehow some of my cells just die

Any details like what your cell types are, did the things you engulf have toxins? Someone might be able to answer if you provide details.

the only cell types i had on my organism where rust eating main cells and mobility cells, and i saw no species ever using toxins, nor did any of my cells have toxins, and usually its not just one cell randomly dying its usually like 2 or 3

Will the color of your species effect how good they photosynthesise depending on the type of star you orbit in the future game?

1 Like

After asceding to multicellular why does my main species become a new one? I basically die instantly when progressing and the 4 cells with me become my enemies.

Why sin’t there an organelle version of rusticyanin? Idk seems like a logical progression and with the new non-LAWK protein and organelle it would fit right in.

1 Like

This should definitely be already fixed in the latest release.