RANDOM LINGUISTICS!

I want to stir up the talk of linguistics because it is a science, also to help the creation of a new language over at Lets create our own language!.
This is the place to geek out about linguistics, and other language stuff

Давайте сделаем это тогда, это не должно быть так сложно

As expected i’m already confused just ONE post in

1 Like

ᚹᚺᚤ ᚨᚱᛖ ᚤᛟᚢ ᚲᛟᚾᚠᚢᛋᛖᛞ?

… — .-- / -.-. .- -. / -.-- — …- / -. — - / …- -. -… . .-. … - .- -. -… / – . …–…

(Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?)

(It doesent actually say that, its just that infuriating feature)

Zunan Xkraxikranxiri syranir Sayaryakarzakikxi.
Aisyaryjarizali Azjre:
Nayi Kixarji’Irnriaiyisi’Aseyanakrnk
Kirkrakoyenisoyizixkarankrirkxixanaikrik
Asaiyariyeresakaxzirxana’asesasyairakarxaxir
Kraikaxazkorarinarzaliyasayisa’irasysairkrnkani
Irakrkniruraikaxirkorarinar

React with :thrive: and I shall provide a translation

Human languages are overrated.
Allow me:
Fearsome
Woods
Xeno
Oxygen

…Nobody reacted with a :thrive: tho

OwO what’s this~?

2 Likes

…what

Dangit discourse

3 Likes

中文中文中文中文中文中文中文中文中文中文

In terms of gameplay this game is about playing as an archaeologist and translating and anicent language, looks pretty different.

For Thrive what is interesting about generating languages? Presumably players don’t want to actually learn a new, made up, language right?

I wonder if fun things might be like generating a load of made up alphabets. Then if you meet another civilisation all their conversation is hidden behind their fake alphabet until you spend research time learning their language, once you have learned it then you can talk to them. Maybe it’s a spectrum where the higher level understanding you have of their language the more complicated deals you can make with them. This could apply to alien languages too, though they would be more different so would take more time to decypher. Not sure if that would be fun.

1 Like

I can not wait for communist aliens.

@tjwhale thank you for bringing that game to my attention if i had the money i’d buy it

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be funny if all their dialog was in Minecraft Standard Galactic Alphabet?

That. That is a horrible idea. maybe funny, but a horrible idea

Yes it quite is. It was just something that came in my mind when I saw @RoboRomb ‘s post.

The Standard Galactic Alphabet actually originates from Commander Keen, though it’s a case of the reference surpassing the original.

Cool, I never knew that! I just looked it up, and the game sort of has a putt-putt aesthetic. I like it, maybe I’ll find an emulator…

Disclaimer: This is probably an unrealistic suggestion, but…

I think it would be cool, if the linguae of a species, started out as random noises they make based on how their mouth and vocal-cords are built, but eventually those noises are assigned certain meanings.
when a creature of an in game early-sapient player race trys to speak, if will first check if there are any established words or combination of words that convey what it wants to say. if there is, it will use that. if not, it will try to invent a new word, witch will then be added to the species dictionary. also, have subtitles translating what they are saying.

TLDR: Have a bot built into the game that simulates the natural development of the PC race’s language.
however, you should use english subtitles, so the player can understand them.

P.S. Yes, I technically just assumed that everyone who will play this game will be an english-speaker, and yes, I know that not everyone may be, but if you can understand this text, congratulations, you can read English! :wink:

P.s.s. Sorry about the tangent. and thanks for reading.