Slavery Take Two

Could we use slaves as test subjects? I can imagine trying to develop medicine and testing it on slaves to observe side effects.

2 Likes

Orā€¦ orā€¦ just create non-sentient cancer-like blobs like normal people?

4 Likes

Hmmā€¦ this Beyond Meat burger tastes strangeā€¦ Lab grown meats almost feel like cheating, because unless we find weird side effects upon consumption, we basically have no use for livestock, and may cull their entire population so they can finally r.i.p.

1 Like

Itā€™s better for the environment to get rid of livestock farms, weā€™d need to do it eventually. This lets us get rid of them and still have meat.

2 Likes

ā€¦yeah? Whatā€™s your point? Lab grown meats are just superior in every way. And, as Steve said, livestock is awful for the environment anyway, non-moving and non-digesting meat is just so much more efficient.

Of course they would scream for help, the question is how effective that would be on a planet not their own.

I am no expert at biology but I reckon we, as the overlord specie, have to have at least some fundamental genetics in common with the test specie for medical experiments to work. For example being mammals. We humans test meds on rats and not on birds just to give a concrete example.

Edit: Slaves as entertainers, why not? I have another similar idea, presuming my specie are a bit crazy. I think we first of should be able toā€¦ modify the delicater part of another specieā€™s bodies so that they are compatible with our bodies. Resulting in that the modified version is now only able to replicate with the help from a member of my specie. Secondly, since aliens seen from my species perspective wouldnā€™t enjoy any specific rights I think we should also be able to enslave them forā€¦ the purpose of lovemaking.

Imagen being able to eradicate a specie by outbreeding them this way and slowly but steady replacing their population on their own homeplanet. Since the branch of my specie that were born from these in specific slaves would of course be equally resistent to whatever climate their host had on their homeplanet.

Latest edit: grammar.

Sorry I was a bit vague. I agreed with your points and labgrown being better, but I didnā€™t explain myself properly

Also, double post, but @Katt47 I was referring to slaves of the same species, not alien slaves.

1 Like

Alright, I am sorry that I missunderstood. Anyway, of course I think it would be nice if we could have same specie slaves to. I mean, itā€™s happening on Earth so why not?

Edit: grammar.

There was a Take One on slavery on why not, but the main fellow arguing against it has left the forums and deleted all his posts so itā€™s pretty much inaccessible. IIRC his biggest point was that slavery is pretty bad for the long term economy.

1 Like

Because some people cant hold their poop around the topic iā€™d think itā€™d be best just to ignore it all together.

1 Like

Ever since I can remember I have been a pro-slavery in Thrive, because itā€™s simply realistic. It happens on Earth so of course players should have the abillity to enslave members of both their own specie and aliens. If it, for some reason, would have a negative impact on the overlord species economy then I would want to tell those players that they doesnā€™t have to be involved in slave trade or whatever. Itā€™s totally an optional side feature, like the most things in this game I guess. :wink:

The thing is i donā€™t want slavery to be in the game because i donā€™t want people driven away from such a potentially awesome game because of supposed ā€œpro-slaveryā€ sentimentā€¦
Then again i might be over thinking this.

1 Like

You do have a point in what you are saying., hold onto it. :+1:

Edit: I still feel that, if we leave slavery out, then it will be easier to move the borders once again. I mean, slavery is out the window, what next?

Some games have actually done career on being so ā€œhardcoreā€ or controversial as humanly possible, take GTA, Honey Select and god forbids; R#pelay as examples. What I am trying to say with this is that, just because some art is a bit controversial doesnā€™t necessarily makes it bad. There are however, cases where art has been completely annihilated by an oppressive regime.

I still, however, respect what you said. :slightly_smiling_face:

Latest edit: grammar.

Stellaris has slavery but you donā€™t see people flipping over it. In fact, if your government allows slavery itā€™s actually a good option for early game and it saves food and consumers goods (a commodity in the early game). Slavery is just a tool for empire building so why not include it.

1 Like

How would having slavery as an option in a game make it pro-slavery? By that logic almost every video game ever is pro-violence.

6 Likes

Perhaps Thrive could have a system in which your civilization has a class/caste system that all citizens exist on and each with its own mobility. When your civilization is trading or dealing with another civilization, one resource could be ā€œcaptivesā€ from one of the offering civilizationā€™s castes/classes (probably with some sort of cost against stability or civil cohesion based on how high up the offered class captives are). Thus trading low-caste-captives/slaves could be seen as a natural cheap use of resources when one is dealing with a civilization that really has no use for anything else you could offer (IIRC this is an oft cited rationale to why the Middle Passage slave trade got as big as it did (African leaders wanted European weapons and tools but didnā€™t have the resources Europeans desired so they would give captives as slaves, a useful resource for Europeans to exploit resources elsewhere, thus increasing the demand for slaves from Africa)). Too, it doesnā€™t necessarily imply any of the lack of payment and mistreatment that would remind players of the horrors of human slavery.

3 Likes

Reviving the thread with my necrologic power! Unlimited poweeeeeeeeer!

:zap:

Types of slaves:

• House-keeping
  • Entertainment
  • Labour
  • Reproduction
  • Combat

Anything else?

Based on the domestication thread your still missing battle-thralls and livestock. And dedicating an entire slave just to reproduction seems a bit weird. It sounds more like something any slave could do on the side.

1 Like