Slavery Take Two

By that I meant:

Mature Theme - Your discretion is advised

Sex slaves. They are slaves meant to be literally, you-know… I just didn’t want to put it like that.

Good. It’s added to the list.

That only works if your civilization is cannibalistic, which is unlikely because it wastes your population’s birth rate.

Or if the slaves are of a different sapient species. I agree that devoting an entire sapient being to being eaten seems wasteful, but consider that:

1. The slave could still do other things before being slaughtered, combining this type with something else could work.

2. Cannibalism does exist. Multiple real human cultures have somehow independently come to the conclusion that this is a good idea. It’s more of a cultural thing than a serious attempt at getting more food production.

Sex slaves sound like a special form of entertainment to me, not their own type.

2 Likes

And we Occidentals arrived and killed them all…

Actually, if anything, they killed themselves. It’s fascinating how the population developed immunity so quickly.

4 Likes

This thread seems very narrow-sighted

There are a myriad of assumptions, such as:

• Ownership exists
  • People tend to own themselves
  • People value freedom
  • People can do useful work as slaves

I’d say that slavery wouldn’t actually be a definable idea, given the wide array of possibilities and ideas involved

But you just defined the variations proving yourself wrong???

Yes, I did state some factors that would affect how slavery works and if it is present. But, this is not itself a definition of slavery. If you disagree on this point, simply try and rewrite it to be a traditional definition

Here you go:

So would sapient zooids in a colony be slaves? And if so, who is the owner?

I mean if they are willing then they aren’t slaves. Just a normal worker

1 Like

If that is the standard, everyone would be slaves in all societies where food and such essentials are traded

By your logic, hunting is slavery since you are forced to gather food to prevent starvation

If you want to go there, then yes, your definition of slavery completely excludes the possibility of nonslavery, and so it is useless

One is being force to work by an owner, one is not. You can’t quit being a slave but you can quit being a craftsman or a farmer
“Slavery and enslavement are both the state and the condition of being a slave, who is someone forbidden to quit their service for an enslaver, and who is treated by the enslaver as their property.”
I was saying that in your example, they were willing while a slave isn’t willing to be a slave, huge difference

1 Like

That’s still not a very sharp definition. For example, take the case of a pacifist in a species with extremely strong defensive instincts, ending up working instinctively as a soldier. They’re fighting against their will, and they can’t quit their brain, so it fits your criteria. Yet, who is the enslaver? Their brain?

Nah man they are doing it willingly
I think you are just thinking about it too much

1 Like

So would it also be willing (and hence not slavery) to install some sort of mind control circuit in someone’s brain to force them to work for you?

Yes it is since someone is doing to you. If you hadn’t agree to the change firdt

1 Like

Why is that relevant to what a being is willing to do? Also, what is ‘someone’? What are the criteria?

We are going into philosophical territory more than game development at this point