Space ship ideas for space stage gameplay

Maybe we could have a section of the forum dedicated to this. Then the game wouldn’t need any servers.
I doubt we could do something like the sporepedia though. Creatures in thrive are uniquely adapted to their environments, just like real organisms. A randomly selected creature someone else created would probably just die right away if put on a planet it didn’t evolve to survive.
A more interesting thing to do would be to share entire save files much like other games have ‘seeds’ you can share.

Well we were talking more about spaceship generation, but obviously creatures wouldn’t adapt to your game. Although sending seeds does sound interesting.

Oops. This is why I should read entire threads before posting.

Well, the thread is called Spaceship ideas for space stage, but I see how our recent conversation may have lead you to thinking Sporepedia=also creatures.

Remember when this post was originally my bad wording of Space ship variant ideas archetypes for Space stage fleet combat like corvettes destroyers, interdictors and missile boats

good times though not sayin i’m disappointed with the turnout keep on postin i wanna hear your guy’s thoughts

I was not sure whether to post this here or in the Tech Editor discussion. Anyway.
Some people have proposed that the spaceship editor might be very similar to how Kerbal Space Program works. And I figured that it might actually work, were it for one condition. If you look at creations in KSP from different users, they all look very similar, since they all use the same parts. But what are the odds that all the space empires in Thrive will all use the same parts? Given this, I see no problem with slap-on parts when building the ship, however, the parts themselves should be designed by the player, or at the very least VERY customizable. There are few parts that could be universal for all the species, such as the detach thingies, as they do not have any visual impact anyway. So, if we combine the creative freedom of Spore’s customizability (applied to actual functional parts) with the KSP’s realism and its logic behind putting the pieces together, we might get VERY customizable ships with a creative freedom, while still being very realistic in its functionality.
Recap - imagine the multicellular editor, where you can place tissues, but still can also alter the individual cells as well. This is basically the same process, where you can customize/design certain parts of the spacecraft and then just slap it all together.
Also, speaking of Kerbal Space Program, it would be really cool if the “space expeditions” in the similar era in which we are right now would be also similar to KSP, where you have to carefully calculate and construct. But once you have more efficient fuel or whatever and develop even better technology, it becomes more and more easier, until you get to a point, where you can control the ship in first person mode similar to… well, any spacy game, where you control the ship, really. An example would be No Man’s Sky. This would make things like landing on the moon and launching satellites feel like a great accomplishment, making you feel proud, but once you get better with the technology, it becomes just as convenient as riding a bike or driving a car (IRL not in the game lol - NO BIKES IN THRIV!)

It’s been said early space stage IS KSP with you legit having to fly physics rockets everywhere

late stellaris space stage is lego ask the hhyyralainen himself

1 Like

I’m super delighted about the early space stage, but I still have no idea what you mean by the late space stage being lego. I’ve been thinking about it for a few days now and can’t get it out of my head. HELP.

He means sandbox-like, where you can make whatever you want: the limit is your imagination! :slight_smile:

But… Isn’t that even the early one, where you put things together like in KSP?

KSP has more “fixed” parts, and a very limited variety. Sandbox building makes your stuff look like whatever you want.

So if I understand this correctly, you are not able to customize the parts in the early space stage, just in the later space stage? And are there still functional parts in the later space stage (parts that have a purpose), or are they just assumed to be part of your ship without you putting them there?

The way I see it, you start with limited “universal” parts, so only the bare minimum to function. Then, as your tech imrpoves, your ship can become more and more complex, and function without universal parts, but with parts you design because, for example, your tech makes super strong boosters and a super efficient fuel which gives you the freedom to add to your ship, which you previously did not have because of your restricted technology.

Not sure how I feel about neglecting the functional parts. In the early game (if I understand correctly) basically almost every part will be functional. I think this should stay in even into the later one, but you would have some shapes for the universal parts and could assign “”""“function”"""" (by that I mean stuff like habitation, storage, research center and so on) by selecting the part or its fraction and just assigning it something, as they would have no function by themselves.
I know I suck at explaining, so here goes another example.
You put down one universal part or more of them overlapping with no purpose, just as in Spore. There would be a grid, that would have two purposes - modeling the part(s) further if you want (though you really don’t have to, it’s just so that you can really create any shape you want) and the second purpose would be that you can select one square of the grid or multiple of them and assign a function to them (storage, habitation, research center, control center, in the case of mothership even “garages” for smaller ships etc. - these would determine mostly the stats of the ship) by selecting them. This would however be not enough, you would need to add engines, propellers, or something like this and other functional parts that would guarantee that your ship in fact functions. Is it far from what you meant or do I understand correctly? Except where you’d add function to the universal parts, I just thought that might be a good idea.

What I meant was that your parts would still be functional, but thanks to advances in technology, they would be less restricted design-wise. Although I like your idea of basically painting an area and designating its purpose, kind of like in cities skylines.

I have no experience with cities skylines, but I will make sure to check it out once my shift is over. But I assume it will be if not exactly what I mean, at least very similar to it.

Basically you play as the mayor of a city you build from scratch. The painting mechanism I referred to comes from deciding what type of building will be on the street, each building type is colour-coordinated, and you just brush that colour in the street space, upon which people will start building that type, assuming they need it. It’s a fun game, I’m sure you’d enjoy it.

1 Like

Damn, that’s a pretty cool game! Might consider buying it at some point. And yes, basically a very similar system, but maybe not “painting”, but selecting parts of a grid - like clicking tiles of a chessboard or dragging your mouse to select more of them. Also, what might be cool would be clicking the universal part and assigning one function to the entire part, so if you wanted to have the entire part be habitable except 3-4 tiles, you just set the whole part as habitable and then manually just change the 3-4 tiles to what you desire.

1 Like

I’m glad you like it! But tweaks like that are definitely good tools to have to make assigning functions easier.

1 Like

i think it was TJ whale actually earlier in this same thread but he said space stage building is like lego as in there’ll be a multitude of parts to brick together to make your space ship if you don’t know what i mean go to your box of legos open it and make a space ship from those legos bam you just explained to yourself how it works