SPOILERS-XCOM, since there very clearly needs to be a thread for that

the entire premise of XCOM hinges on how the elders are retarded when it comes to warfare, where they start out with basic troops with no body armor and weak weaponry and only wait until late-game (when Earth has already has enough time to copy their tech) to actually use the stronger troops, instead of just droppping fifty sectopods and a couple elite mutons and steamroll earth

2 Likes

Well, the alien activity on Earth was only abductions initially, as

spoiler for xcom if you care

They were seeing if humans were the “chosen ones” by experimenting on them.

As the humans started retaliating, they decided to launch terror attacks on human cities, in an attempt to reduce their morale.
As humans started to push them back, they started using their stronger troops, but at that point it was too late.

Eh, well, the humans lost anyway. XCOM 2.

XCOM spoiler again

XCOM lost well before they could even copy laser tech in-universe. Their base was infiltrated and destroyed from the inside, iirc.

Yeah I know about how “they only used their stronger troops until after they retaliated”, but that still doesn’t explain why they didn’t just use their strongest troops as soon as XCOM managed to push them back. They only started using sectopods way after the mutons were first used. You’d assume they’d immediately use sectopods/elite mutons as soon as

spoiler

XCOM took down their base of operations.

XCOM 2 actually makes way more sense in that regard, how they immediately lost and the only reason they survived was because they went guerilla.

1 Like

Ever wondered why they went humans lost for X-Com 2? They looked and saw how many people were losing the game and decided to make the sequel humanity losing instead of the original ending.

1 Like
mmm spoils

You would’ve thought that they’d have elite units in the base of operations.

I suppose they just got more desperate, and also thought that the units at the time could handle it.

Everyone and their mother knows that.
oof, double post
hhyyrylainen, smite me

2 Likes

People who don’t play XCOM don’t know that.

So in SCI-FI we got alien invasions and robot uprising but why not an alien robot invasion. Make the best of both worlds.
Crap double post

What is guerilla anyway? I want to know about the concept.

Guerilla tactics is where you use a smaller amount of troops against a bigger amount of troops because its easier to move 10 or less troops then 1000 troops

Hit and run tactic, guerrilla warfare involves little army v army fighting.

Thanks. But wasn’t that already the case in XCOM : Ennemy Unknown ?

Yes
( HEC YOU TEN CHARACTER LIIIIMMMMIIIITTTTT)

Why then? …

Because that’s not what guerrilla is. Guerrilla warfare is where one of the parties tactics consist purely of small strikes (for example hacking a transmitter containing vital information, kidnapping important characters and taking down convoys á la XCOM 2), ambushes and traps. This tactic allows a small group to fight against way bigger armies, since all fights are quick ambushes of convoys and the like, where the fighting will be over before the enemy has had a time to react.

2 Likes

Ah now I understand. Thanks! and have fun -gabeN

Well, if many people lost the game, I think they didn’t understand that XCOM is a strategy-tactics video game.

…What?
No the XCOM games are just ridiculously hard on the higher difficulties. Even if you are great at the strategy part, if you suck at the tactics you’re still screwed, and vice versa.

2 Likes

I’ve never lost an x-com game, but then again I save spam so that’s technically cheating.

1 Like

That reminds me of this:

The humans would surely win if they got to play any day again if they died.

4 Likes