SPOILERS-XCOM, since there very clearly needs to be a thread for that

In fact, that mod is only there to reassure me, so that I’m not too stressed out about restarting the whole game all over again. I’ll try to limit its use whenever possible. So far, I’ve only used it once (in the start mission, because I was tired of restarting everytime I lost a soldier right at the beginning). To answer your question, I’m playing Ironman only for the achievement, but I’m trying to do it ‘more legit’ than what I did on XCOM: EU. Not entirely legit, but restarting an 80 hour ironman run is not fun. I would probably have done it without a mod if there hadn’t been any difficulty restriction for the achievement.

Spoilummary

She didn’t die. If you had finished the game, you would have seen her in one of the final cutscenes alive and well. But as asked in the steam thread, why was Bradford so happy to see her?

EDIT : If Thrive comes with ironman, I hope we will be able to play another species if we go extinct without hindering the achievement condition.
:-]

EDIT 2 : Hey, @Omicron. There’s one recent XCOM game we haven’t talked about. What do you think about The Bureau: XCOM Declassified ?

JOKE EDIT :

Jokes from Bob Lennon on XCOM 2 beginning - 13+ years old

Bradford: You must have a headache.
Bob Lennon: I need a couple of beers and [girls]. Especially [girls].
Bradford: Tygan extracted an implant from your skull.
Bob Lennon: I knew I couldn’t count to ten anymore.
Bradford: I’m glad to see you back, Commander.
Bob Lennon: Start with two blondes. Twins if possible.

Because he thought she died and was sad about that?

That still defeats the whole point of ironman mode? Seriously why try to go for an achievement of you’re removing the entire reason for it being difficult? That kinda defeats the whole point of achievements, since you’re kinda losing most bragging rights, ngl.

It’s not exactly a great game, but it is fun.

1 Like

True. belgium 20 characters limit… no just kidding, I have another thing to discuss.

Yeah, it was fun when you knew about AI’s reactions to grenades. But the idea of making an XCOM in the cold war is very interesting. Though, the only part I hated was the ending. I mean…

Spoilummary

The scenarists tried to get rid of the protagonist (Agent Carter) to replace him in the ending. Why in the hell would they do that? I mean, what’s the point? To belgium off the players? It’s just a bad idea to replace the protagonist, it just :belgium:s the story. You play most of the game with that character, so why getting rid of him in the ending?

By the way, did you finish that game or did it have the same reverse difficulty issue as the other XCOM games?

Sorry for double posting, but I wanted to post a “wiki-guide”.

Story timeline

Possible pods timeline

March

• Troopers
  • Officer* + Troopers
  • Officer* + Lancers
  • Sectoid* + ADVENT

April

• Muton* + ADVENT
  • Viper* + ADVENT
  • Sectoid* + ADVENT
  • Officer* + ADVENT
  • MEC* + ADVENT

May

• Sectoids
  • Sectoid* + ADVENT
  • Berserker + ADVENT
  • Vipers
  • Viper + Aliens
  • Viper + ADVENT
  • Advanced Troopers
  • Advanced Officers + ADVENT
  • ADVENT Shieldbearer

Code: “*” means that the said enemy is the pod leader.

Purchase timeline

March

1. Flashbang (35$)
  2. a. GTS-Vulture (75$) //right after GTS is built
    b. Mindshield (45$ + 1 Sectoid Corpse)

Build timeline

March

1. Guerrilla Tactics School (85$)
  2. Advanced Warfare Center (80$) //after Alien Biotech is done
  3. Proving Grounds (100$) //after Officer Autopsy is done

Research timeline

1. Modular weapons
  2. Alien Biotech
  3. ADVENT Officer Autopsy //when AWS construction has started
  4. Magnetic Weapons

Did I forget anything?

Note: I think I’ll read the game’s code to predict what will happen. :-]

Sources:

Note: I should look at DefaultGameData.ini, XCOMGameState_MissionCalendar (line 1916)

Very interesting topic about enemy appearance:

But they didn’t replace the protagonist. They replaced the shell containing the protagonist. That was kinda they entire point of the story, that you weren’t playing as Carter, but rather as the Ethereal possessing carter

1 Like

Oh, I thought they were just spiritually coexisting with each other and that Carter was tired of it. I understand now. Still, I feel bad for Carter. He looked so bad@$$. Though, it’s kind of a weird scenaristic choice to play as an alien in an XCOM game.

P.S.: I see that this was one of the only XCOM games you played to the end. I am proud of you.

EDIT : I think I’ll stop my ironman run, make myself a guide in this thread with my previous post and restart the ironman game by strictly following the guide.

RE-EDIT: Hey, I found another guide.

What do you think about it @Omicron?

Nevermind, I found some glitches and one of them would be very scary on an ironman mission.

What do you think about these glitches, @Omicron? Could they really ruin my ironman playthrough? I mean, the flanking bug is kinda scary…