SPOILERS-XCOM, since there very clearly needs to be a thread for that

Wait you have beam weapons, but only a 4-person squad? Fix that. Seriously, squad size is one of the strongest upgrades in the game, and you should get it as quickly as possible. (With both you’re 1,5 times as strong)

I know, but I’m practicing for the 4-squad achievement on commander difficulty. However, I think you’re right. Six soldiers make the team much stronger, though I’d have to train rookies (since XCOM: EU, I’ve had the habit of using the same soldiers).

The coordinates missions are mid-game? I thought they were end-game because

Spoilers

Because they are very related to the avatar project and I have just discovered what an avatar looks like (I think they are avatars that are controlled by the elders since you can see the elder right behind it). I feel like discovering the Avatar project means nearing the end game.

Skulljacking the codex is something you’re supposed to do after the assault, difficulty wise, but because of XCOM 2s relative openness you can do it in another order.

Woops, that’s something I should’ve known. The third alien facility assault had a codex, which I thought was rare to occur naturally in missions. So, I took advantage of the situation. Will it cause problems, @Omicron?

Not at all, the order doesn’t matter a whole lot. Also, codexes are not very rare either, after a while they’re one of the more common pods.

I did some spring cleaning.

1 Like

That’s a lot of XCOM :space_invader:

1 Like

It’s over half the previous thread. I should honestly have just renamed the original thread and moved the other posts to a new thread.

Hey, @Omicron, is there any particular enemy that I should be aware of in the coordinates missions? Do I need a Psi operative or not for these missions? Are there a lot of mecs or sectopods in the said missions? And what item would be useful in these ops?
Also, I noticed that you’re the only user to have been promoted to Leader rank yet (except discobot). Why is that? With years of Thrive forums, I would have thought that many of the old users would become leaders.

You do realise I am not that experienced in XCOM right? But the missions usually contain just slightly stronger / more enemies than a normal mission, and depend on how far along you are. (For example, if you just encountered mutons you won’t find sectopods in the assault IIRC.) But still, take your strongest troops and just try. (Psi’s are not necessary, and their tech can even be skipped entirely.) XCOM’s built around taking risks.

As for why I have the leader rank, I feel like that’s more a question for @hhyyrylainen. Basically all I know was that I checked my page for some reason and saw the rank. IIRC it was more to test out what it was for and how it would work and stuff than for any bigger reason.

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s allowed, but I’m going to write a joke about the Elders.

Ignore if you love communist hamsters' sayings

The Elders are :belgium:tarded according to @Omicron and @Rednascar11!

Hey, @Omicron! Here’s the next part :

Spoilummary
By the way, I just beat the coordinates missions, saw a gatekeeper, researched the gate portal and I downloaded a mod, which now allows me to evac without having to kill EVERY alien, so that I won’t risk my soldiers’ life for the 4-soldiers-slots-only achievement. Then, maybe I’ll play the game without the mod, unless it can be very useful in Ironman mode or legend difficulty. LOL! I just understood that 12 mobility represents 8 tiles/16 tiles dashing in XCOM 2 (7 tiles/15 tiles dashing in XCOM: EU)! Seriously, they should have made this mechanic more explicit! Even if they are showing the attribute in XCOM 2, they don’t really explain it (unless I didn’t see their explanation).

Hey, I beat XCOM 2 now. Yeah!

Spoilummary
The Professor (AKA The Speaker, I call him “The Professor” because he looks like The Professor in Witcher 1) was arrested by the crowd (too bad they didn’t kill him), for they have discovered the truth about ADVENT and the belgiumtarded Elders. Thus, I continued the game and beat it. After killing off the Avatars, it seems the Elders were still alive while burried under the seafloor. Nested spoiler alert : XCOM 3 will be Terrors from the Deep Remastered.
Basically, I wanted to cover every region in the world for the achievement, but as soon as I completed the Avatar autopsy, the ADVENT network mission popped up and I took my chance at striking back, while I didn’t realize that I will only be able to complete the final mission after completing this operation. So, I was doomed to finish the game without the achievement. Too bad… . Oh well, now that I beat XCOM 2, I should soon update my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (support for Windows 7 will end on January 14th in 2020). That way, I won’t have to worry about it.

So! What do you think about all that, @Omicron?

You downloaded multiple mods over the span of the campaign to make it easier for you. That is considered cheating pretty bad tbf

1 Like
First, I don’t consider mods to be cheating unless it’s a dev console mod or that they make you too OP. Second, for half the game, I’ve played with only one mod (an aesthetics one, adding face paints). Later on, I downloaded a mod to make the game more guerilla (being able to EVAC without losing the mission as long as I complete the main objective; killing every enemies becomes an optional objective with that mod). So far, I evac’d 3-4 times. Thus, I’ve only used two mods so far (I generally like to play vanilla, unless the game is unbalanced or unfair). There were also some bugs made by the game graphic glitch gremlin AKA the glitch gremlin (see: THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread), but they were usually unfair to me. Anyway, I proved you right @Omicron : the Elders are retarded.

Now, I’m going to begin a game in Commander difficulty. Good luck @Omicron!

Omicron : Wait, what?

I’ve played on Commander for a while and I haven’t had any trouble, plus I’m doing the Exquisite Timing achievement. Speaking of that achievement, is that a reference to Independance Day?

I’m already near the very end of the game! I’ve followed a guide and it works! Now, I’m about to assault the blacksite coordinates! I wonder if I need to finish the game at July 1st or before July 1st?

Speaking of the blacksite coordinates, beware. Save files have a tendency to corrupt easily on that mission, and it makes your game crash for just reloading a save sometimes. I also encountered a :belgium:ing sectopod. What the hell? A sectopod on May? Sectopods are supposed to appear on August. Did anyone else have that bug too?

The playthrough is done! I played the game on Commander difficulty and I got 5 achievements at once! Even though, I still had to savescum to get these. Anyway, I won!

SPOILERS CUTSCENES FROM XCOM 2!

LONG LIVE THE RESISTANCE!

Hey, @Omicron, I wanted to ask you a question. What would you think of a possible XCOM 3, which would probably be a remake of “Terror from the deep” according to XCOM 2 last cutscene?

Would be cool, more XCOM is more better, but I’m currently more looking forward to Phoenix Point

Speaking of Phoenix Point, wasn’t Phoenix an area in Arizona where there were multiple reports of a strange light in the sky?

Change of subject: I began a game on Ironman (XCOM 2) for the achievement while following this guide;

The guide says that if a soldier dies or gets shaken on the first mission (Gatecrasher), you have to restart the game. Thus, I had restarted my game plenty of times until I got tired of it; I downloaded an Ironman backup mod :sweat_smile:.
I encountered the same problem on Witcher 2 Insane difficulty. It’s a hardcore difficulty adding a sort of Ironman effect making it so that if you die, you can’t reload your save, so you have to restart the whole game. You have no idea how many times I had died before I downloaded the “anti-ironman” mode to be able to reload my save. With that mod enabled, I died like only 3-4 times. It’s probably because I was less scared of restarting the whole game all over again. The backup mod does the same job.
On Operation Gatecrasher, I only savescummed once to avoid Jane Kelly’s death. Then, neither Ana Ramirez (vanilla character), Peter Osei (another vanilla character), Jane Kelly (you know who it is) or Dude I don’t remember the name has died on the first mission. The mod really made my first ops way easier; avoiding the ‘restart the game’ function.
Speaking of the vanilla characters, I added Osei and Ramirez in my character pool, but a bug occurs with their biography. When I was on Windows 7, Osei had no bio while Ramirez had one, but with the wrong description (wrong name, wrong nation, etc.). Now, on Windows 10, the same thing happens, but both characters have the wrong bio. Have you encountered that bug @Omicron?
P.S.: Another questionable character is the Den Mother. Who is she? Is there any wiki about her? All I’ve seen are poetic songs and this steam discussion:

So you did not play ironman mode? Seriously dude if you’re going to make a mod that removes the entire point of ironman mode, why play ironman mode?

That’s literally just the codename for ‘leader of a haven’. There’s nothing special about her, and she dies within the first couple minutes of finding her.

No.

2 Likes