Starting Screen, Loading Screen and Cutscenes

Here you can share your ideas for the more visual aspects of the future Thrive

I’m going to give here my personal vision of the Thrive loading screen. I imagine the Thrive logo on the center, taking a relatively small area of the screen, with the two curves around the word “thrive” spinning periodically. Something like every 2 seconds. The whole layout would be dark, minimalistic and modern. The background would be black or at least very dark, with a frosted glass translucent texture to it, apparently in front of changing vague shapes and colors (perhaps suggesting several aspects or scenes of the game) rotating with every spin of the logo. I also suggest placing on the bottom of the screen tips of the game, or perhaps witty loading references in the Thrive theme, for example “copying DNA…” “processing RNA…” “Calibrating starship controls…” “Mixing primal soup…” “Feeding Disturbance…” “Building Food Chain…” And other humorous little things, all in the Thrive logo font.

5 Likes

You mean like this?

The animation could also be used to make the auto save icon, but without the Thrive name.

3 Likes

Woah! I’m impressed! I’m thankful for you taking your time and effort into make my vision come to life! I really wasn’t expecting this. It looks really nice, you really grasped my idea! Although this scale of elements would fit better in a mobile display. I think we could make better use of a desktop monitor downsizing the elements a bit, but it’s otherwise perfect! What’s your personal opinion of this idea? And could you make it an animation? Again, thank you so much for doing this, it will really help sharing the idea to others

1 Like

My idea was mostly inspired by the The Sims 4 loading screens

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to make an animation.
I liked the idea of the two curves spinning, but I’d like if screen is only used in the beginning of the Microbial Stage and after that the loadings would be the screen faded into black like Spore.

However, I wouldn’t care if all of the loading screens were like this.

1 Like

Can you show me an image of what that would be? I can’t really recall it

AFAIK, when you go to the editor in Spore the screen fades to black for a couple of seconds and then fades to the editor.

1 Like

Oh, I see. That would work in smaller loadings, like transitioning to the editor, maybe with a tiny Thrive logo (without the word itself, only the curves) spinning rapidly on the bottom right corner of the screen. That vision I had would work better with larger loadings, like opening a saved world

1 Like

That’s better, then.

1 Like

@UlfarrVarg Do you plan to do those things yourself or those are only suggestions? Lovat approved. I would like to see that on the game too. I saw somewhere that @hhyyrylainen was not in favor of game scenes but I dont know about loading screens

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I don’t have the capacity to do it myself, it was just an idea

1 Like

I thought of something like this

3 Likes

I tried to make a concept video in PowerPoint

3 Likes

Very cool! I would like very much to see it in the game! Great work!

2 Likes

It feels good to have your idea recognized like this! You really did a great job. I really liked that the vague colors on the background move, nice detail! I hope the developers like it. Only one suggestion, I think it would look better if instead of slowly spinning uninterruptedly, it would spin 360° quickly every two seconds, with the sentences lingering for 2 revolutions (4 seconds)

1 Like

And maybe rotate in the opposite direction? Because the part that doesn’t look like a gear looks better by turning the other side. Just my opinion, may it look better then

1 Like

You could also use Source Engine’s default loading screen before starting a game.

Or the GoldSrc one.

Or the one from Source 2, oh wait I don’t have VR, nevermind. haha

I think concept art should be included in the game files and the loading screen would display a piece relevant to the stage.
There have been better ways to present a picture and add some motion appeal to it (ie: the Ken Burns effect, or water distortion), but that is something that takes a little bit longer to concept.

3 Likes

I don’t have much to add but I’ll say that my preferred type of loading screen would be one that has:

• Spinning thrive logo in the bottom right
  • Concept art / something cool to look at taking the upper part of the screen
  • A couple of lines saying what is being loaded under the cool stuff to look at
  • Perhaps tips for playing the game could be included, as it seems that not many people look at the help screens that have a bunch of helpful information

So basically what @DPHkraken posted with small tweaks.

4 Likes