The Cavern (Seed world Evolution Game)

Doublepost.
@TwilightWings21
Descendants of yawuniks are most likely will go extinct due to my species eating them, giving me more slots right?

@Nigel no, Extinction of another species doesn’t give more slots until after an extinction event

Also, Yawunik tentacles likely wouldn’t be strong enough to grab and lift said materials, they are paper-thin. Also, I would recommend evolving from the clawcreeper for this (already has a pseudo-lung structure present)

Also, Yawunik live in coastal shallows, the clawuniks are caves

Sapience speed running is a no-go please (yet), try to keep it a bit realistic

@GodOfKnowledge why would wolves walk upright in water? And why would they need grabbing appendages? The Yawunik have the tentacles for attack, turned to defense by Nigel, due to predators

The warrah is a predator and has no reason (presented) to have need to grab things, and the upward spine trend has no purpose, so why would it develop?

I have now adjusted my species evolution.

1 Like

See note on how yawuniks are not cave dwelling, but coastal

Good adjustments tho!

uhhhhhh

I changed where they live now. My species now lives in coastal waters.

Just change it to evolving from clawuniks (more predatory, bigger cave Yawuniks)

Or even clawcreepers, shore dwelling clawunik descendants with air sacs (basic lungs)

1 Like

Whens the next extinction event?

As soon as these slots are filled out (so three days, including today, if no one else makes creatures).

I won’t say what the extinction events are, so players cannot prepare their organisms for ahead of time, but the first ‘extinction saga’ will center around the valley. There will be six extinctions. The first two will get rid of 20% of the present life, the third 40%, the fourth and fifth 20%, and the sixth 80%. Evolution will be occurring between all of these events.
Knowledge please respond when you are able to the above criticisms of your Warrah (in one of my previous comments)

Ancestor: Ghost fox

Common name: Wraith fox

Description: The fox has now completely lost its fur, and has developed a pair of bioluminescent cysts under its eyes that act as organic flashlights that it can also control to opacity of (similar to a deep sea fish called a stoplight loose jaw.). It has also developed a longer tail and stronger jaws.

Am I too late?

Ancestor: Radio Stars
Common Name: Ardistars
Evolution: Not so much stronger in body, but the radio communication becomes more refined, and in the process they are able to communicate even more, being able to understand basic concepts not unlike the earliest ancestor of humans (mind there is still a long way to go, though. This is only the first step of many.) Let me know how this can be improved please. I want to make them sapient, so I’m trying to focus on “brainpower”. I don’t know if this is completely accurate, I’m not a biologist… sorry if I seem like I’m making stuff up…

I think that jump in intelligence is an extremely large jump - I doubt that level of intelligence could arise before the first mass extinction

Sadly tho this game is kinda dead

Aw that’s a shame. I read the whole thing two nights ago and got real invested :frowning: I was imagining how cool it would be to walk through this world, specifically the caves

1 Like

It’s definitely a cool idea, and I might start it up again later, I just don’t have the time to organize it atm

Would you start from scratch or pick up where we left off? If you start from scratch, would you choose different life forms?

If I continued the cavern, it would be from where it left off

The creatures weren’t completely random, I have lists for different seed organisms based on the world. So even if I reset the cavern, it would have the same seed organisms

These lists were originally randomized, but now that I have assigned them to a world I wouldn’t rerandomize the creatures

So the game is back? I’m actually interested in it and will probably do a few creatures in the future.

+1

Ancestor: Warrah
Scientific name: Formidulosus terrens (this is probably the first species to get a scientific name)

Mutations: Thicker fur and skin to protect against nightmaers bites, production of an enzyme which decomposes nightmaer toxins into harmless proteins. General body size increase and extremely strong neck muscles which allows it to extend the neck by 1,5 meters in the fraction of a second. Extremely powerfull jaw muscles and thick jaw bones in order for it not to shatter when biting. Extremely long flat and wide tongue which is used for heat dispersion which folds inside a pouch in the throat when inside the body, and bigger hears for heat dispersion too (but to a much lesser extent than the tongue). Very thick canines and “second stomach” (which is just a pouch) in which a little bit of indigested biological matter is stored, it is connected to the mouth via a muscled tube which can propel the indigested matter with a significant amount of strenght allowing them to spray vomit into the wounds of their preys increasing the likelyhood of them getting infected. Insanely strong immunitary system allowing them not to die because of all the bacteria they are cultivating in that second stomach. Special hairs that are connected to nerve endings on their paws allowing them to finely sense ground vibrations, an higher amount of olfactory receptors in their nasal cavity allowing them to sense extremely faint odors. A form of anaerobic respiration which allows them to survive for moderate periods of time in low oxygen enviroments and a brief amount of time in enviroments with no oxygen. Slower metabolism to help with heat management and reduce overall food consumption, but it still is endothermic. Higher range of joint mobility allowing them to manuever in tight spaces more easily, this also includes their ribs, which can bend in order to fit a tighter space more easily. And powerfull back legs allowing them to make big leaps and run faster, they also have evolved a tail more similiar to the one of a non-avian dinosaurs for better manuevering.

Size: 4 meters

Habitat: anywhere with land that they can survive

Description: F. terrens is a descendant of the warrah which curiously evolved to kill and eat the nightmaers. It’s adaptations make them nearly immune to nightmaer venom (they can be killed only if nightmaers inject their entire venom capacity), and the adaptations to tight spaces and low oxygen enviroments seem to be for the case in which a F. terrens gets swallowed alive by a nightmaer, allowing it to manuever inside their body and exit. F. terrens does not feed on nighmaers only, infact they pretty much eat wathever they are capable of getting their jaws on, their slow metabolism allows them not to completely destroy their ecosystem. Their sensitive paw hairs allow them to sense nightmaers approaching and other animals that are walking or digging and their olfactory system allows them to recognize and track prey more easily. Their second stomach allows them to secure a kill even if their prey escapes their grasp by killing it more slowly, with the F. terrens pursuing the prey for the rest of their short life (but will usually lose interest if the prey is still alive after 2-3 days).

Return with the bang

1 Like

I had a few stored up so why not bring this game back sure

Ancestor: Atlas Bear
Name: Woodfisher Bear
Description: Longer claws adorn this much smaller bear, somewhat bigger than a koala, it sits in the trees above the rivers and swipes fish out of the waters below. It spends most of it’s time in the trees, but can swim fairly well if necessary

Ancestor: Hell Bear
Name: Bonecrusher Bear
Description: This large, jet black descendant of the hell bear now lives in the caves, crunching down on anything it can kill with it’s large, swinging paws. It is larger even than the Beartredon, a living wall of shadows and death (my kinda creature, obviously)

Ancestor: Hawksbill Sea Turtle
Name: Turtrout
Description: This turtle descendant is much smaller than it’s relatives, having extremely receded back fins and primarily relying on their front ones for propelling themselves. It is also more obolong and streamlined for dashing through the water, like a shelled fish.

Ancestor: Terraton
Name: Terrorton
Description: This terraton descendant crawls along the isolated beaches as an apex predator, feeding on everything from hermit crabs to shorestalkers to grosgulls. It is much more terrestrial and mobile, able to rapidly chase down prey in short bursts of movement. Primarily black with an under color ranging from green to yellow.

Ancestor: Grosgulls
Name: Wetheads
Description: These grosgull descendants fly along the surface of the ocean like a pelican, their beak open. When they see a shadow under the surface, they dive, snapping their beak shut. Their prey is trapped in their mouth, and the water drains out tiny holes in the beak, suffocating the prey so it doesn’t struggle as it goes down the birds delicate throat. As a consequence, it has to fully dunk it’s head underwater to drink, hence it’s name.

Ancestor: Grosgull
Name: Cave Wader
Description: Having made it’s way into the caves, these creatures stalk the cavern shores, eating whatever they can find. They typically roost on crevices in stalactites, keeping away from pretty much any potential predators

Glowing Mushrooms

1. Cave Lights
  2. Glowtowers
  3. Spirit Boats
  4. Glowtangles
  5. Glow Carpet

Diatoms

1. Cave Diatoms
  2. Magnet Coral
  3. Steel Shrubs
  4. Silverbranches (still calling them that even tho they ain’t silver any more)
  5. Sea Raft

Dogwood Trees

1. Pupgrass
  2. Wolfwood
  3. Stray Dogwood
  4. Edgegrass
  5. Jaw Trees

Poison Ivy

1. Poison Carpet
  2. Frosty Ivy
  3. Climber Carpet
  4. Side Ivy