THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

Case in point. The character limit surely is interesting.

*cough Hydrothermal vents. *cough

Look at my first quote in this post.

Thermite requires a pure metal powder to create, which to obtain requires heat or electricity to obtain. It literally says so on the wiki you linked yourself.

(It’s actually really easy to create in this day and age, you just need aluminium powder, rust, and maybe some sulfur to help ignite it.)

Now we’re just back to the point of ‘how would they get close enough’ (Also, why would they? If they can get close enough, they could just use the hydrothermal vent)

Also, remember the why: It needs to be able to be discovered naturally . Nobody is going to try to mix metal powder, a precious commodity, with rust, only to then dump it in some hydrothermal vent only to see what happens, and even after it burns, try to melt metal with it.

Last of all: This is clearly not a bachelor’s thesis level work explaining how can a fully aquatic civilization acquire advanced technology (without aliens or other type of help) in order to advance to the space stage.

3 Likes

This wasn’t meant to be a thesis anyway. Anyway…

That’s the point. The rule is: a new underwater thread will only be allowed if someone writes a bachelor’s thesis level work explaining how can a fully aquatic civilization acquire advanced technology (without aliens or other type of help) in order to advance to the space stage. Then we can discuss if the points in it are scientifically valid.

IIRC @Steve has made a part of it, you can ask him for help.

1 Like

It seems like there’s a delay for my email to reply.

Right now I just post research I’ve done on the Underwater Civilization thread. My research been put on hold due to school and the information reveal that I used the wrong equation for heat transfer rates.

2 Likes

Discourse checks for incoming emails every 5 minutes.
So there is a delay up to five minutes for the replies incoming via email to arrive.

2 Likes
Hey, apparently, there was a bot attack on the old forums. What were these bots and what did they exactly do to the old site?

They spammed new threads and comments advertising a gambling site. The security of the old forum was abysmal and was partially the reason we migrated.

3 Likes

:scream: How did you manage to get rid of those bots?

A lot of manual deletion mostly. And moving sites.

2 Likes

Well, the mods tried their best to ban all automated users and remove the posts, and for a while it worked. Occasionally, at the dead of night (or rather midday for Australia) the bots would begin their assault while no mods were online. Luckily for us, the moderators managed to purge them once again. It seemed like it would never end, until one day, all of the bots went silent, and we never heard of them again. Not so long after, there was discussion of a migration to a new forum. And thus the new Thrive forums were born.

2 Likes

Just like Evil. It always comes back, but the good guys can always kick 'em out.

1 Like

Unless they don’t, then they don’t.

1 Like

Unless the bad guys are kicked out by other bad guys, then they are replaced.

1 Like

This forum has a group of very persistent Indian spammers who create new accounts and post legitimate looking posts (that don’t fit the context) in random threads.
So far it looks like there are no automated spam bots that target discourse forums.

1 Like

who are they? (as in who’s account was an Indian spammer account.)

1 Like

I delete the account and ban their IP as soon as I find one. They seem to use very normal looking names with a freshly made Gmail account that matches the username on the forums. The only evidence left after that is that a thread that has a really old last post shows up in the latest topics.

1 Like

IIRC the discussion started after the FAQ thread was accidentally caught in the crossfire and got deleted along with some spam, which ended up being the straw that broke the camel’s back, starting the push towards a new forum.

Could you show an example? I’m actually pretty curious right now of how one can make a scam-post look legitimate.

1 Like

The replies were like “excellent advice this helped me a lot”
On a thread discussing some game feature. By chance one of the posts by a spammer did actually fit the context of the thread it was posted in, so I left it alone until that account made a second post which did not make any sense in context.

I think they are trying to increase their post count first with innocent posts before they start spamming. That’s because discourse has a lot of automatic protections against new users spamming links and posts, so they first try to increase their post count to appear as a legitimate user, and then start spamming. At least that’s the only theory I’ve come up with that makes sense.

2 Likes