THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

Heck yeah that’s the gaming spirit! (I have the badge but I’m lazy I might try for some other badges sometime though.)

1 Like

That’s super cool, i’ll try that maybe

I remember that one day I was poking dirt during a thunderstorm and at some point I could only see white and all I could hear was a loud boom. That was fun.

Hold up. Were you struck by lighting, or did it strike really close to you?

did you die?

2 Likes

Uhh… Not sure if it’s supposed to happen, but it seems that regular users can view some posts in inaccessible threads by browsing through the post history of a user who can.

Since I’m not a mod, I can’t access the moderator chatroom:

Nobody expects the Regular User Inquisition!

Moderator chatroom was made by the babble plugin, which is so often broken that it’s now removed. That resulted in all the babble channels becoming visible as normal threads. I changed the moderator chatroom, which has become a normal thread, into being just visible to staff.

2 Likes

I wasn’t fried So I guess it struck really close

Updated the translation guidelines a bit as I saw quite a few translations making the same mistake:

I’ve seen many translations incorrectly translate the contents of the special bbcode tags, which will break in-game, so if you have made that mistake in translations, please fix that ASAP.

1 Like

No activity… I can feel the souls of the dead users who used to post here in the Miscellaneous Thread.

The new people who just found Thrive (aka Spore 2) and thought that the game wasn’t just a dream that was too long, and the spacefaring users who knew everyone and everything. They just… died.

5 Likes

They didn’t die.They are just hibernating until the cell stage is completed 500 years later

1 Like

Or they just had three different texts and two different presentations they had to work on at the same time.

1 Like

Or they just died.

2 Likes

Or they’re planning for D&D and tests.

2 Likes

Hello, I am double posting. JWE 2 is a thing.

Back to the depths of the void.

Personally I am hoping that once we get binding agents out, it will revive some interest in Thrive that has otherwise died down a bit due to a lack of new and exciting features.

A little unrelated but nothing upsets me more than seeing folks turn away as soon as they see how long the concept of Thrive has existed compared to the amount of visible progress present. Sometimes I wish we could just cut out the initial years of Thrive’s conception from history so people would stop losing hope at first glance. Thrive is undeniably an old project, a slow project, a seemingly impossible project, and so understandably a alot of people see it as a hopeless project and move on.
But we can’t erase history, nor should we. The age and history of this project is not indicative of it’s future, it is instead a testament to the project’s ability to stand the test of time and difficulty. If only more people took the time to understand that, rather than taking it at face value.

I believe that at this time Thrive is at a turning point. Our organization, now an officially recognized nonprofit association rather than a loose collection of aspiring developers is steadily being set up in preparation for paying a developer that shall soon be hired. Guaranteed and dedicated development of Thrive, which has before now been seen as improbable. Options for distribution and funding are being considered and set up, avenues through which this project will be discovered by more people in time. The “completion” of the Microbe stage, the end of a long dark tunnel, is steadily growing closer as progress steadily marches on. Perhaps it will be a while yet until we reach it, but the goal is now undeniably, firmly within our sights.

Perhaps I am insane, but I am personally drawn to how impossible this project may seem. All the doubt I see, while frustrating and upsetting, is also strangely encouraging. To me it seems almost like a challenge, like how people once said a human could never fly. I may not be able to contribute too much by myself, but I am very much intent to face this challenge to the best of my abilities in outright defiance of the project’s feasibility.

17 Likes

This makes me happy and proud. I rarely feel this emotional. Like, ever. I for one, can wait for thrive to get to a more complete stage. Happy feels.

4 Likes

unless the next @hhyyrylainen comes in

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m already imagining the endless bug reports.

For context: the binding agents still have 2 very serious bugs, we might not get them fixed before the release, and I don’t want to postpone the release anymore, so I expect them get reported constantly. At least responding to those reports will be easy with “we know, here’s the github issues about them”.

We need Buckly to hold a speech when the microbe stage is “finished”.

5 Likes