THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

If instead of glucose being super common in your LUCA’s backyard something close to GTP was that could work, yeah. Also most likely such a lifeform would utilize more rna and less DNA.

This is on the topic of sapient plants, but since it is nowhere near complete or fully fleshed out idea I won’t clutter that thread;

I’ve been reading up on articles about the intelligence of plants, and a lot of what I’m reading is saying that there is already significant evidence for plants being sentient on Earth. (There’s even a whole scientific field on plant neurology)

What I’m reading says plants are able to recognize other plants from themselves (a sense of self), and also recognize plants that are of their own species. Their root tips act as a decentralized neural system, each functioning similar to neurons, able to recognize different chemical inputs. And though much more underdeveloped than ours, plants can ‘see’ us and other animals with their photoreceptors, and are able to move (slowly) and perform ‘acts of kindness and kinship.’

Just thought that it was really interesting and thought I would share it, though more fact checking is necessary

1 Like

Hmm does that work without fungus?

All of this is without fungus afaik

Edit: A link to one of the ‘articles’ I am reading. This is a blog post, so I am taking everything with a bucket of salt, and aim to find a much more scientific source, but figured I would share. I’m not just going off of this, though this is the most extensive. Again, not a scientific paper or anything though.

Research shows plants are sentient, will we act accordingly?

Plants dont hav brainz. Get gud.

Just kidding. But I think that sentience requires more than reaction to stimuli. A good way to tell whether an entity is sentient is to determine whether they are capable of emotions. For instance, animals feel emotions (e.g. wrath, fear, love, etc.), thus they are sentient.

It doesn’t really require a brain to be able to recognize others from oneself. Any cell capable of analyzing foreign DNA/RNA should be able to recognize intruders and different species. Also, recognizing chemical inputs could also be explained by the fact that plants have a kind of “hormone” system (I don’t remember the real name for it, though) to regulate their metabolism.

That is actually wrong, being setient means that you are capable of recieving stimuli from outside. Many people equal setience to intelligence, but that is wrong, just like passing the turing test would not imply intelligence but just the capability to replicate human behaviour.

I never said that sentience is intelligence. And since this is a scientific debate, we are free to make our own definitions.

No, that completely defies the whole purpose of lenguage

3 Likes

I agree with both of you. We can define things our our way but we have to make sure it doesn’t break English. As such we need to clarify what definition we are using.

3 Likes

Where’s the livestream? I thought there was supposed to be one today.

its was done 1 hour ago

Up in this thread

You could have edited your post with a link to my post…

Edit: I edited your post.

Thanks, first thing I thought of was replying to a post and afaik you can’t edit a post to reply to another.

I’ve deleted the second post

Edit: also thanks your edit gave me the first one box badge lol

How long will it be until we have BCI (Brain Computer Interface) for the VR consumer market?

If the economy stagnates, a few years, but it’s on the luxury market, not the consumer market. If we have an arms race, war, short economic crisis, or the like, by the end of the decade you can just buy BCI capable headsets at Walmart, though those would be low quality trash, the good stuff would be pretty expensive. Personal option btw, I don’t have very much data.

We haven’t yet seen a non-commercial version yet. So it’s still ways off. Once the technology has a working proof of concept that’s when guessing when it’ll be commercial available, can start to get a bit accurate.

idk how many people on here have played a middle earth game, or even know what it is, but i think i had a pretty good idea for a mechanic.
basically the idea is that there would be a journal that documented your encounters with a specific uruk captain (said captain needing to be singled out by the player), it would then permanently save all of the actions made by said captain and interactions with the main player and other uruks, even from before they were journaled, this would make it so that players could remember the stories that they had with them, and, if they had already died a long time ago, their names as well.

Like the shadow of Mordor game right? or are you talking about a different game?

those ones, i’ve been playing them a lot recently and have some pretty good stories from them, but i’ve been forgetting certain details, thus the idea for the journal