THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

FOR :belgium: sake! I had been downloading free packages from SteamDB for 5 days now. I had disabled automatic updates for until November 26th, yet Windows 10 still updated without my consent. Now, I have to restart all over again! I HATE YOU MICROSOFT! Windows 10 and their belgium automatic updates!

3 Likes

That is why Linux is better, I guess.
Really the only thing keeping me from going to Linux is the fact that current internet environment is rather Windows-Centric.

What do you mean by that?

I mean that, many apps can be only used on Windows, as they don’t have version usable on Linux, only because Windows happens to be a more popular computer engine (so it has a larger amount of users).

Edit: I’m spacefaring now

2 Likes

I kinda misworded this post. I wanted to say ‘owns’ instead of ‘contorls’. And there are a couple more things that I’d like to change. Here’s an updated version:

I do. My idea is that basically, when a country/coalition-state[1] owns a stellar system, it would also own all the space in the radius of e.g. 6 light years around it. If the resulting ‘territorial sphere’ intersected with the ‘territorial sphere’ of another stellar system, a straight border going through the middle of the intersection would be created.

This is certainly an interesting situation. I guess then the ‘territorial sphere’ could be treated as a ‘zone of joined jurisdiction’ (a.k.a. ‘zone of shared ownership’), in which both (or more) countries/coalition-states execute complete control over their specific areas of interest (unless otherwise specified) and the space between those areas would be open for all the countries/coalition-states owning the ‘territorial sphere’ (unless otherwise specified).

That is SO COOL! Can’t wait to see what you’re cooking!

One idea I have is a system based around nebulas, dust clouds, spiral arms, star clusters and other features of galaxies. Another thing worth thinking about is how the names of geographic areas on Earth were derived.

Anyways, I hope what I wrote made sense (:

1. the term coalition-state refers to a kind of ‘joined state’ created by two or more countries. Something akin to the EU, but with more power given to e.g. the central government or a similar entity, though how exactly does a coalition-state function varies between the states ↩︎

2 Likes

I think it helped a little.

You can see some of it already. Techno Zen Elysium forum game.

To be clear, the thread has multiple games on it.

Give me a second and I’ll link to the first post of the proper game.

Here, just click on the link.

1 Like

Who cares to whom space belongs to? Its not like you can patrol billions of kilometers. A spaceship can shut down its systems and not radiate any infrared light and it may stop all acceleration to not radiate any gravitational waves. It could suddenly appear near a solar system deep inside the territory of another state. If it is ftl, it is already invisible. If there is a particle in the universe that moves ftl, it can be used to see ftl objects but not accelerating could probably make them invisible as well.

In Thrive, territory should only exist for planets and rogue planets. For dyson swarms, there could be a system where every spacehip reduces the amount of light another spaceship receives as the orbits get crowded. I don’t have an idea for nebulas or dust clouds. It isn’t easy to harvest them anyway.

I had a really stupid idea but I want to share it with the world

What if, we turn Apophis into an Earth moon? Like, we can do a DART mission, but more advanced, which puts it in Earth’s orbit. As he is closer to us than the moon, we could use it to be a stopping point to refuel or make orbital assembly between the Earth and the moon. Or maybe we could mine it, since it will be pretty close to the earth compared to the other nearby asteroids.Maybe we could mine it, even though it has a dull composition, the materials could be used to build extra rocket parts or parts for a lunar base.

Firstly, it’s “it”, not “he” (I just broke a forum rule!). Secondly, I would rather make scientific research on it first and then mine it until it no longer exists.

I’m afraid that a satellite impact needed to put Apophis into Earth’s Orbit would be strong enough to completely destroy the object into a dust cloud around Earth, which would be hazardous to space travel.

Stupid google translate (i know to write in english but i use it when im lazy)

Maybe instead of throwing the satelite, We could have the satellite land calmly on the surface and then fire up some retromotors that slowly bring it into Earth’s orbit, or maybe I’m playing too much ksp

The star systems themselves would be split up using the following methods:

1. Any bases/presence in a system, the Government/Civilisation/Species in control of the base/presence will have control of the Sphere of Influence of the stars in the system.

2. If there is contest in the system, the rules are slightly different. If there is a military or government presence on a planet, they will control the Sphere of Influence of the planet, and it’s satellites, both natural and non-natural.

3. The Government/Civilisation/Species that controls the majority of the Star System will be automatically in control of the system.

4. All previous rules will be ignored if a Government/Civilisation/Species has a home planet in that Star System, and no other Government/Civilisation/Species also have a home planet in that Star System.

5. If there are multiple Government/Civilisation/Species that have home planets in that Star System, the Government/Civilisation/Species are responsible for sorting it out.

6. If a planet is controlled by multiple space-faring States, the dominant State will be considered to be in control of the majority of the planet, and will be given the same status as other single or multiple planet states. They will not however, control the Star System.

The Star Sectors would be split using the following method:

A Star Sector is a group of Star Systems within 10 light years of each other. To be part of a Star Sector, the Star System would have to be within 10 light years of a Star System in the Star Sector. If a Government/Civilisation/Species controls the majority of the Star Systems in the Star Sector, the Government/Civilisation/Species controls all uncontrolled Star Systems within the Star Sector.

All other natural phenomena governed by the Government/Civilisation/Species that controls the nearest controlled Star System or Star Sector to it.

I hope this useful.

You could instead put it in an elliptical orbit around the moon, like the Luna Gateway Project, and dock spacecraft to it, and use it to carry resources to the moon, and use it as a factory and refueling station for extra-terrestial missions.

2 Likes

Perfect.

Which search engine is the best?
  • Bing
  • Brave Search
  • Duckduckgo
  • Google
  • MSN Search
  • Yahoo Search
  • Other (please name)
0 voters

At this point I have no idea anymore

1 Like

I been hearing good thing about Kagi recently

There is a gun to your head. For some reason far out of your grasp, you have been selected to choose how the National Space Agency allots its funds.

The prerequisite technology for all following projects has been invented, and there is a one hundred percent chance of all of them succeeding. But there is only enough money for one.

1: a permanent Lunar Colony.

2: a permanent Martian Colony.

3: a permanent Venusian Colony.

4: probes to Europa, Enceladus, and Ganymede to observe if they possess life in their underwater oceans.

5: an orbital space hotel.

6: a space station dedicated to studying the effects of zero gravity on a collection of small animals (flies, mice, frogs, etc.) over a period of several decades with semi-natural selection.

0 voters

To be clear, there is no guarantee that the probes will discover life on any of the planets, just that they will reach them.

1, a lunar colony will help us do all of the other things since it is less expensive to launch from the moon than from the earth.

2 Likes

I mean we are already trying to do the first one so that’s an obvious choice to me

1 Like

Ecosia.

Filler Poll
  • Filler Poll
  • Filler Text
0 voters