THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

I suppose VR isn’t friendly to Linux yet?

It’s starting to get there, but it’s definitely not as plug and play as other types of gaming (except bs anticheat ridden multiplayer games) is starting to become.

The other reason is that I tried the HTC Vive once and the screendoor effect was so terrible that that put me off from buying any VR until the image quality gets really good. I also didn’t have a ton of space earlier, but now I kind of would have enough. Ultimately, I’m just waiting until VR gets better and/or I have a ton of money to burn on it. Currently I’m happy enough to try to get through my normal games backlog and I’ve been playing more games while laying on my couch to relax after programming for many hours.

2 Likes

I’m sure Valve will improve on that regard considering their work on the Deck and the Deckard. I also agree that the anticheat is belgium. One of my favorite past games is Dirty Bomb, but because they added anti-cheat, it can’t be played on Proton. I guess I won’t play that game when I switch to Linux. Why don’t they just use Valve Anti-Cheat or is that only applicable to Source games?

I played with the Valve Index and I don’t remember seeing the screendoor effect. By the way, why is it called that name?

Valve anticheat seems to be really basic? No competitive game, that wasn’t developed by Valve, uses it AFAIK. It might be because it is not super good, but also it could just be due to not invented here -syndrome that every game development house almost seems to have their own. Some of the big players do support linux. And for example easy anticheat, has just a single checkbox to allow it to run on Linux through proton (as long as the game is not using a super old version, this was introduced like a year ago).

I don’t know. That’s just what you get when you use magnifying lenses on a low resolution screen in a headmounted display, the pixels become super visible. Wikipedia seems to have one reference from 2004: Screen-door effect - Wikipedia so it might be possible to dig up where the term is from.

Trypophobia: Unicode version.

1 Like

What’s this then?

That’s a character? What does it represent?

1 Like

In my headcannon - biblically accurate hhyyrylainen.
In reality it’s just a Multiocular O ):

My headcannon is that Hhyyralanier is Sahaquiel from Evangelion

Hhylaina anime

2 Likes

Looks like a distorted neuron. That could make a healthy snack for an amoeba.

how is it a political debate? I was not saying it was good or bad, it was just a joke, but I guess you consider that to be offensive

You couldn’t already tell based on the 2 people finding your posts offensive in the misc thread?

The developer is either:

• Using an older EAC SDK version and can’t be bothered to upgrade
  • They think that enabling Linux players to play will result in “too many” new hackers in the game making the experience worse for everyone (this is the excuse Epic Games uses to not allow Fortnite on Linux)
  • They don’t know Linux exist / they haven’t heard the people asking them to enable playing on Linux with anticheat

Edit: just today a developer for a game who cares about working on Linux, made EAC for their game work on Linux: Hunt: Showdown added Easy Anti-Cheat for Steam Deck & Linux | GamingOnLinux

3 Likes

what did you post?

Belgiumpost About China (social credit, tiananmen square, you know)

1 Like

can you pm it?
why are people facepalming?

I facepalmed because ForumGameMaster was given a warning for sending it in the first place. Not only do forum rules still apply in pms, so technically he’s still not allowed to send it, but also the situation was handled, and asking to see it needlessly drags it out

I can understand the curiosity, I just facepalmed because it wasn’t necessary and could cause continued discussion where it was unneeded (this explanatory post is an example of the kind of continued discussion I was referring to, hence I shall be dropping this topic after I hit the reply button)

Since zenzonegaming asked to see it, I don’t think he would freak out seeing it, a rule can’t be enforced if violations of it aren’t reported. The offended people wouldn’t see it either.

Ayo, your not thinking of… perhaps… INGNORING THE FORUM RULES? ARE YOU. If not your fine. Else…

1 Like

Publicly asking for rule breaking material to be sent in PMs, really brings it to the attention of moderators that they should check the involved user’s PMs to make sure they did not in fact send the material.