Thrive in Godot tech test

Are we still using AngelScript for the more gameplay-related features, by chance?
Edit: Oh, sorry about the double-posting.
Edit 2:

That’s good to hear! This is like, the most awesome news ever. Especially since my birthday is tomorrow, lol. This really made my day. Thanks!

Stop double posting. Edit your posts instead with the pencil icon.
1 Like

It will all be C# as long as there aren’t performance problems, in which case we might need C++ modules.

Btw you should vastly prefer editing your posts instead of making multiple posts in a row.

If you are replying to something that was posted after your post, you should make a new post instead of editing. It’s a bit weird when earlier posts are replies to later posts…

Man, my forum etiquette is rusty. Sorry about that.

3 Likes

Just happy to see this change, I am excited to see the future development =D. All the best Devs. @hhyyrylainen

The test build doesn’t make my laptop’s fan roar. Great to see that.

I’m a little curious about the choice of C# instead of C++, which was the most used programming language for Thrive

The GDNative interface that is needed to be used with C++ for Godot, isn’t covered by their documentation. It also makes exporting and compiling games much harder because you need to manually do that. The C# support in Godot is more built in and allows things like easy exporting to all platforms and easier setup. The only reason why a mac version is possible with Godot using C# is that it doesn’t need any custom compiling per platform.

1 Like
How can we make mods for a Godot game such as a possible future Thrive release?

I haven’t looked into it. I assume it is possible as many other projects also use godot that want to support modding. But for now I’m just going to let anyone wanting to make mods figure it out. We didn’t have a lot of mods being made anyway, so I don’t consider it a critical feature for me to figure out how to make mods as well as write tutorials for it.

3 Likes
Speaking of Godot, here’s the next livestream on the very next release.
I wanted to create a thread for questions for posting the stream link, but I’m not a dev so I can’t do that.

Oh, and imagine if moving the game to Godot remove most of the 92 issues. DAMN SON!
1 Like

It’s going to fix like a maximum of 10 engine related issues. It isn’t magic and can’t make new / improved features appear out of thin air. And it will add a bunch of new issues of the form “reimplement x” as I’m not going to wait for feature parity before making godot the master branch version.

2 Likes

Runs great for me too! Seems smoother than the current release, and I don’t exactly have a weak pc. That might be because it’s just a basic implementation though.

2 Likes

Well, I would be very surprised if it does so, hence the expression “imagine if”. But yeah, it won’t resolve all issues.

Okay, I was a bit wrong, I didn’t realize how many issues would be made irrelevant by the move to godot:

3 Likes

So is it good or bad?

Good, I guess? It goes to show how many issues were “engine” related.

3 Likes

Works great! Although 0.4.3.1 isn’t working for me…

2 Likes

0.4.3.1 is still based on the previous version. 0.5.0 will be the first version with Godot.

1 Like

Do you think a good idea would be providing test versions like the one at the beginning of this thread as you progress? Forumites could check for bugs, and these tests would show the progress as it is happening.