Thrive in Godot tech test

Once the Godot version becomes actually a bit playable, I’m going to make devbuilds for patrons again. Right now it takes less than 5 seconds to notice something that is missing or not tweaked properly. So I don’t see much point in public testing. I did this initial test to find out whether Godot (with 2 out of 3 custom shaders we need) runs for everyone, or at least for almost everyone, which it has now served that purpose.

3 Likes

I have some questions for Godot programming.

1. Is Godot compatible with Notepad++?

2. Does Godot have an integrated IDE?

Thanks, and have fun! (gabeN)

Godot has an inbuilt editor that is needed for working on Godot resources like: the scenes. You’ll see this in 15 seconds after installing Godot.
The actual game source code can be edited with any text editor, but it’s nicer to use an IDE that is compatible with C# development.

Edit: here’s what it looks like when you open thrive in godot:

2 Likes

In addition, here is a rather simple instruction on how to set up an external text editor in Godot.

1 Like

So, is Godot overall easier to use than the last engine?

Most likely, Crabbo. Most likely.

For sure. INDEED!

You get the point. I’m gonna stop repeating myself.

Overall: yes
For me: just a bit easier

The concentrated documentation as well as the community makes it easier.

2 Likes

oof. 6 more updates hopefully

i think it would be 1 update because i don’t think thrive uses a versioning system that just increments the next digit

1 Like
I think I’m gonna practice my C# souping skills on Godot.
EDIT: Also, will prototyping be in GDScript for Theorists since it’s just like Python?

That’s for the theorists to determine how they want to make prototypes. But as always if the prototypes are done in anything else than what the main game is written in, someone has to rewrite the prototypes. Sadly we currently have no active theorists.

I tried to set up Visual Studio 2019 for Godot Mono Edition, but to no avail.

Also:

godotCSharpWarning

Not complaining though, just saying it’s a pre-feature.

I have no experience with that. I use MonoDevelop on Linux with Godot.

I know, but the Godot 3.1 announcement highlighted the C# support a lot (and without it Godot would be a much worse choice), and that same notice has been there since 3.0. I did check the list of issues and didn’t find any serious issues, and so far there haven’t been any issues with C# in Godot (other than the MonoDevelop debugger crashing on me a few times).

1 Like

Maybe I’ll try Mono then, unless it’s not recommended for Windows. In fact, IIRC it’s cross-platform so I might try it out. What’s the worst that could happen?

EDIT: Nevermind, VS2019 worked in the end. I’ve tried and succeeded in making Hello World in Godot with a UI just to know how to make a script work.

UPDATE: I started following this tutorial.

https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/getting_started/step_by_step/your_first_game.html

EDIT 2:

We are speaking of eliminating 44 issues.

Bump! UPDATE 2: I am close to finishing the tutorial, thus my first game.

BUMP! UPDATE 3: I finished my game! Here’s the link to the GitHub page!

By the way, it’s based on the tutorial I mentioned earlier, so I don’t hold any copyright. It was only to familiarize myself with Godot.

Also, @hhyyrylainen. About the AngelScript files, do you intend to translate them into C# or GDScript?

1 Like

how do you play it/ run it?

Just open it in Godot (3.2 Mono version) and click on Play.

To open it, I think that:

1. Open Godot.
  2. Click on Import and select the right folder.
Not sure, though. I’ve never imported projects myself.

As I said before, C# all the way. I will not be having any GDScript in Thrive.

1 Like

GDScript may be good for prototyping, but is an aweful choice when it’s about performance

The first mistake the people designing GDScript made was that they decided that python was the ultimate programming language that they should try to emulate.

@hhyyrylainen Why didn’t you want to move Thrive to Godot before?