Thrive: Source

What I used is placing the player spawn, which is 180cm tall and then building the level around that. Of course if you have a differently sized player it’s not the same. You’ll want to work within the limits of hammer as you can’t make too small details with it. I think 1cm is the smallest size you can have in detail.

If you need help with source I’d suggest you ask on source modding forums or mapping forums. I’m not an actual expert in it.

1 Like

For users who are familiar with GIMP, I want to get some advice. I wanted to make the nucleus in Blender, but I want to make my own texture for it. Description of nucleus :
Shape : Sphere (duh)
Color : Purple
Transparent or opaque : Opaque
Texture : Jelly, just like cytosol. There must be some pores (holes) as well.
I tried to make it, but I just don’t know how to. Can someone give me precious and delicious advice ?

Nobody, huh ? Nobody has got an advice for me?

why cant you just take the nucleus texture from thrive?

They want to learn how to make one.

Because it didn’t work out. Also, I want to earn skills in many game dev things. Anyway, I made the texture. However, it doesn’t look as good as I wanted it to be, but it works at least.

Here is an image of it :

Hmm, it seems to be tiling.
You’ll need to set something in the objects controls, may I ask what version of Blender are you using?
Cycles or Internal?

I’m using 2.79 version. Please consider that I didn’t render my thing, so we can’t talk about cycles or internal. It was only a screenshot. And I think I know why it’s tiling. I decided to unwrap my sphere directly because I was afraid about the amount of work on the UV Smart Projection.

My school session is nearing its conclusion. This summer, I’m going to rush for my Source project, so that it might be finished before back to school.

EDIT : Woooo, I see a cake symbolizing the day I joined this community! Apparently, I might have joined on April 2nd in 2018.

hmmm

Actually, cycles and internal impact the model before render.
But anyway, good luck with Thrive Source!

1 Like
Hello everyone. Again, I won’t work on the project before my school session ends, but I’m going to write a list of all tasks I need to fulfill to complete the project. I will probably update the list as I will work on the project.
Please remember that I won’t be able to publish the game (Havok, Source’s physics engine has a license of 25’000$, and I can’t afford that). To do so, I will need to wait for Source Engine 2 to come out (Rubikon, the new physics engine will be much less expensive and more affordable). But one game at a time.

3D Models

• Mitochondrion
  • Chloroplast
  • Chemoplast
  • Thermoplast
  • Cytosol
  • Nucleus
  • Golgi apparatus
  • Peroxisome
  • Lysosome
  • Endoplasmic reticulum (rough and smooth)
  • Vacuole
  • Flagella
  • Pilus
  • Phospholipid membrane
  • Cellulose cell wall
  • Chitin cell wall
  • Agent Vacuole

Gameplay design

• NPC with random configurations
  • Procedural generated map^1

Programming and scripting (also, it is related to gameplay design)

• Procedural generated map^1
  • NPCs
  • Entities

Audio

• Music
  • Ambient sounds

Media

• Intro video
  • Eukaryotic Stage Introduction video

Hey, if you want to, I can help you with animations and stuff. :slight_smile:

Sorry, this project is mainly for autoeducational purpose. I want to do most stuff by myself. But if everything goes south, I will ask for help.

The Alan Parson’s Project

1 Like

Can you help me? I know absolutely nothing.

Sure, once I‘m done with the background animation.

WARNING! For now, I am abandoning the idea of making this project on Source engine and I will now make my version of Thrive on Unity, for it was too difficult to figure out a way to implement procedural generation features on Source. Therefore, the project is now called “Thrive: Unity”. However, I still have an idea of a project that could be made on Source. It will be an SCP video game.

EDIT : When Source 2 comes out, I will probably port the content to Source 2 if it comes with procedural generation features. Thus, the project will be renamed “Thrive: Reborn”.

what version of unity are you going to use?

I’m using the latest version of Unity. Nonetheless, I don’t recall its name.