Thrive Talk: Megastructures

Hey, thats pretty cool.

i like this idea!

Necro time. How about a dyson sphere that stores all energy it collects (btw how does the sphere transfer power to planets or gates?) and when commanded to it will fire this energy out in a concentrated beam destroying whatever planet, ship (maybe a whole fleet), or maybe even star that it hits. This would of course be even farther than the days on sphere in research as you would then need to research how to weaponize it.

Uhmā€¦

1 Like

It didnā€™t happen shhhhhh.

1 Like

I do not deserve the title necromancer anymore.

And what the heck is a ā€˜days on sphereā€™

@Hirohito that is an awesome list of megastructures! They are all really cool.

@Steve one scientific issue with beam based weapons is they spread out. Hereā€™s a video about shining a laser pointer at the space station. TLDR you can see the laser pointer at the space station but the beam is 1km wide.

So if you fired a beam from one solar system to another it would spread out so much it probably wouldnā€™t do much damage when it got there. You could fire at objects in your own solar system and it might be an awesome defensive weapon though.

2 Likes

That was worded extremely badly, essentially I wanted to say it is farther along in the tech tree than the Dyson sphere.

1 Like

This wasnā€™t posted yet:

3 Likes

Put ideas for megastructures thet maybe can be added if they can add such a thin i love tho see ring world and dison sware to colect energy idea come from stellaris

Any other stellaris players

2 Likes

One thing that I remembered watching about was kurzgesagtā€™s stellar engines

3 Likes

Ow i forgot of that iv watched it

Thx for the suggestion

1 Like

Yeah, but thatā€™s probably waaaay to difficult to put in the game, idk how it would even work as a mechanic, but hey maybe an idea will pop up so might as well give it a suggestion as food for thought, maybe megastructures can be an Ascension mechanic gameplay loop?

2 Likes

Something I want and think they probably will add is dyson swarms. I really canā€™t see a space stage WITHOUT them since theyā€™re so easy to make yet so useful. Basically just put a ton of mirrors around a star and then harvest the starā€™s energy using said mirrors.

Editing to say Iā€™m an idiot because you already mentioned dyson swarms in this post lol

1 Like

Yeah I definitely think some megastructures should be possible in space for sure, and I think Ascension should add megastructures and make previous megastructures easier to build, since at that point you are ā€œGodlike.ā€

1 Like

There was already a thread about this so I merged these.

2 Likes

Ow and whay isent space stage made out of tho stages solar and galactic stage solar wher you trying to take over your ow solar system and make a Dyson swarm and astroid miners

Ow i edit this and it whil be nice to see ring world planets made out of meteal whit loke like a ring oround the host star

1 Like