Thrive Talk: Megastructures

(OrganismOverlord) #21

Hey, thats pretty cool.

(🔥😈🔥The Lord Of Bored🎄🎄🎄) #22

i like this idea!

(Steve) #23

Necro time. How about a dyson sphere that stores all energy it collects (btw how does the sphere transfer power to planets or gates?) and when commanded to it will fire this energy out in a concentrated beam destroying whatever planet, ship (maybe a whole fleet), or maybe even star that it hits. This would of course be even farther than the days on sphere in research as you would then need to research how to weaponize it.

(He who abuses the search function) #24

Uhm…

(Steve) #25

It didn’t happen shhhhhh.

(Dyson Sphere Freak) #26

I do not deserve the title necromancer anymore.

And what the heck is a ‘days on sphere’

(tjwhale) #27

@Hirohito that is an awesome list of megastructures! They are all really cool.

@Steve one scientific issue with beam based weapons is they spread out. Here’s a video about shining a laser pointer at the space station. TLDR you can see the laser pointer at the space station but the beam is 1km wide.

So if you fired a beam from one solar system to another it would spread out so much it probably wouldn’t do much damage when it got there. You could fire at objects in your own solar system and it might be an awesome defensive weapon though.

(Steve) #28

That was worded extremely badly, essentially I wanted to say it is farther along in the tech tree than the Dyson sphere.

This wasn’t posted yet: