Thrive Users as Character.ai characters

Aren’t bots like this sort of just like making a parody of someone in a show?
In both cases there is something representing a person while not being that person and (usually) in both cases they say and do things that the person they’re based on would never do.

Just because they don’t act like a person really would when talking to them doesn’t justify making them in the first place without consent.

2 Likes

I will consider it harassment of other users to make bots based on them without their consent. The same really if someone posted a personal creation of something and then another user took that and used it in a harassing way by for example modifying it to make a mockery of it.

And as to what can be done about the bots made without consent, I will first warn and then ban the user making those as clear harassment of other users of these forums, which is absolutely not allowed.

6 Likes

Not everyone doesn’t want an AI version of themselves, but I already took down all the bots that people don’t want on there. Fine, for the sake of my reputation on these forums, I’ll delete virtually all the already private bots people don’t want.

If you look deeper on the website and look at the bots others have made public, you will notice a lot are based off of video game characters, anime character, but also real people. For example, many celebrities are turned into an ai version, like Elon Musk, who was one of the first public bots I talked to.

@hhyyrylainen You mean sharing bots based on them without consent right? Thats in reality the only thing enforceable, since nobody here owns the character.ai website and is thus able to view private conversation and bots.

While this is a good point, sometimes any form of lobbying(in this case the form of painting rival presidents in a poor image) does it’s job, which is what matters in the end of a vote. Think about it. At the end of the vote, will it really matter how you lobbyed voters, so long as you didn’t use money(as that would be illegal)?
Furthermore, the person could be painting a bad image of a totalitarian president disguising himself as a libertarian, who them self may turn the United States into 1984. This is an example of how lobbying not only does the job, but also does good.

Aside from the general spectrum of politics, I’m not sure how that relates to what I said, nor to this discussion.

Anyways, doing something to someone without their consent and especially with their explicit disconsent is simply hurtful and wrong. While a clear, logical answer as to exactly why that is would be pretty satisfying, the reasoning behind it is very complex and ruminating on why exactly violation of consent is hurtful would needlessly extend this discussion into infinity. At the end of the day, if something is hurtful, no amount of logicing will change that. Emotions don’t always follow clear logic, and this entire situation is one of the rare cases when they are more important than it. To put it simply and end my rambling, you shouldn’t do hurtful stuff to someone unless you actually want to harm them (and here lies yet another Pandoras box with the power to completely derail this discussion into some philosophical topics and talks 'bout morality, so, let’s just end this on that, this discussion is long enough and most of us are tired already).

3 Likes

Okay, its overall wrong to do unless for the greater good.

1 Like

I agree.

But you know what I meant by “greater good” right? If your mocking a bad person, it would harm the person, but benefit others overall.

I know.

I thought of something similar, though there’s nuance to it, but that’s the Pandoras box I mentioned.

I’m not the thought police, yet, so I can only act on public information. Still if someone claims to have made a private bot without consent I’ll consider that breaking the rules. Of course if someone makes a bot and keeps entirely quiet about it, there’s no way for us here on the forums to know that such a thing exists.

2 Likes

So you wanna become the thought police one day?

I think he means that he doesn’t have to become the thought police yet, but if stuff’s going to continue downhill in the forums, he might eventually have to take that responsibility.

That question was more of a joke than a serious question.

I not only consent to having an AI made of me but I implore you to do it

I said that as a joke, as it is clearly not possible. Still I’m serious about protecting other users on the forums from problematic users.

1 Like

I tried making an evo sim using the character ai stuff:

Interesting…

You have created a self-evolving, easily bored AI.

I am now the AI.

That gave me the strongest laugh today. Thank you.

no way
is that
HHYYRYLAINEN???

That’s Thriver™ (all references to real life people and events are purely casual)

4 Likes