Types of civilizations

Yeah, it could be based off of species preference, such as creatures that live in caves could live in more secluded buildings and such.

1 Like

Would there be a way to create civilizations made out of biological material?

Maybe, i mean, we make structures from wood, which comes from trees, which are alive. So why not use other material from other living sources?

Like other living animals? I don’t know how that would work, though. Kind of like the prawns from District 9, their technology was DNA based I believe. But were talking about civilizations, not technology.

As in using animals to make structures? I mean, you could use the bones of large animals as well as some sort of thick hide for making structures, but it’s terribly inefficient and the buildings would rot after a while.

Good point. Unless you were able to find some sort of way to stop the material from rotting, it wouldn’t last for very long.

I suppose you could use salt, but then that’s a lot of salt and a lot of resources dedicated to stop things from eating the salt.
Also, the species you were using to construct things with would eventually go extinct.

True. The species would need some type of food source, and using living animals as architecture would not only extinct the animal but send the sapient species into a famine, and then they themselves would become extinct.

What about building on the creatures, if they were large enough? In The Legend of Kora (spoilers, i guess) it told that ancient civilizations once lived on the shells of the enormous lion turtles.

That’s an interesting concept. It reminds me of this artist that makes hermit crab shells with city skylines on them.

2 Likes

Yes, YEEEES

Rise up my fellow crabs

3 Likes

15 day pause
What you need to remember is that the type of material and how their built is based off the tech tree so your deciding what the civilization will look like depending on its needs instead of a premade biome dependent style. for instance if your civilization is in a swamp you may want houses on pillars with bridges to make use of the soft watery land.

also found this on making a underwater civ https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/31175/how-could-an-underwater-civilization-develop-fire it says they could use underwater lava for smelting, even people can get right next to them without burning them self’s and they could discover it by accident with maybe using it at first to cook meat like humans and fire or they could discover thermite and use that.

underwater lava to smeltle the meltle

2 Likes

I don’t know if Underwater civs will still be implemented though, but neverthless a cool idea.

EDIT: May have to design an aquatic sapient that somehow lives on land. Hope it’ll be TU worthy.

As people said before, melting metal is just an example of a problem created by underwater civs. Using hydrothermal vents or underwater volcanoes to smelt metal has been given as an idea to fix the issue, but other problems will arrive, such as how vehicles will work (since you’d need to be very aerodynamic (neródynamic?) to properly move without wasting a lot of energy). Underwater civs are just too different from ours to properly know what they will be like.

Also, why did you post what you said in the first post (DOUBLE POST REEE btw) in the second post too?

1 Like

oh crap I didnt even see that lol ill fix it

Maybe aerodynamic vehicles could be filled with water, in order to keep the aqua sapient from dying. I don’t know if vehicles with wheels could ever be constructed. Submarines are a likely possibility if underwater civs are developed. Spaceships, as said before, could be filled with water somehow. I’m sure theres some way to figure out underwater civs.

1st possibilty: Aqua sapients would use underwater lava for smelting and cooking meat like the common homo sapien. Build underwater structures and underwater vehicles. Maybe even water filled vehicles.

2nd Possibility: They just evolve to go on land like most sapients would, but still could be close with the ocean in some sense. After they go to the surface, they discover things like fire and nuclear fusion.

1 Like

No stop that.
Also, “aerodynamic” means how easy it is for air to pass, not that they are for creatures that breathe air or something. (as in, a drop is more aerodynamic than a brick)

Okay i’ll stop.

we tried thats all that madders :relieved:

1 Like