Underwater Civs 4.5 proving the system

this has nothing to with the current discussion but the right way to do one of these ¯\ _(ツ)_ /¯ on this forum

is like this: ¯\ \_(ツ)_ /¯ so that the left arm don’t get erase… just to let you know : )

you could also do this: ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯ to get this cool variation: ¯\(ツ)

it’s a little squished shrug

Along with the regular emoji variant: :person_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

that also doesn’t include the various other shrugging emotes like this weird one (though technically not a pure shrug emote): ¯\ _( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_ /¯ or even the compact version ¯\( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)/¯ (which does looks a bit weird and so should not be used)

made by these set’s of character ¯\ \_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_ /¯for regular and ¯\\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ for the other one

Other variants can include:

• ¯\ _(ヅ)_ /¯
  • ¯\ _㋡_ /¯
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯

The way to make these is left as an exercise for the reader ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Fun Fact: This text shrug guy is called a shruggie

2 Likes

Theres no actuall way to prove such a thing scientifically/with a paper unless you gather a bunch of scuba divers and try to smelt metal using underwater resources. Its kinda ridiculous.

You are incorrect, all I have to do is find the electrical resistance property of iron, the passive cooling of saltwater, and the amount of electricity needed to get it to its forging temperature. As well as a few other things like its weight deph ect.

You need to prove that some organism is able to do that thing ,
not that enough electricity smelts metal underwater.
with a scientific paper ofc. Remember.

But that’s the first step right, we need to first prove that it is possible smelt enough metal underwater

It IS possible to smelt metal underwater given enough energy lol. The real scientific task here is that a species does and proving it in a scientific paper.

Actually thinking better about it, theres no PROOF that metal can be smelted underwater, never seen and never done by anybody.

Yeah but we are trying to see if it possible to do it without a lot of energy right and we are trying to find possible energy sources

Well ok, i can only say good luck proving that scientifically. If im not mistaken proving something is possible requires real life experiments documented in a paper.

Even if you discard the actual real life experiments id guess that water is a good enough heat conductor that water flow near the metal sample becomes non-negligent then youd have to consider the metal sample surface area and some differential equation/computer simulations for the water fluid flow near the metal to show the actual temperature needed for that particular sample. This isnt even considering that an organism has to be able to do that.

FTL for example IS possible not considering real life experiments remember.

I am just saying that if we can prove it theoretically we can then begin the search of actually proving it in real life with that theoretical basis to help guide our search

Basically an incremental approach

What do you mean possible?

FTL is theoretically possible. zzzz

If you want to prove it theoretically means youll do fluid simulations of it right? or at least some differential equations for water flow right?

Stop, it is possible, and did you forget about electric eels? Anyway, i shall calvulate the size of an electrical organ needed. If it is too large to make sense then I will explore other ideas.

1 Like

I did that already. I forget the actual numbers, but it was at least tens of thousands of pounds for arc welder amps and voltages, let alone arc forge, let alone arc forge that is constantly being quenched in water, assuming that could all be channeled through a single connection, which I dont think it can.

1 Like

Isn’t this already listed on the list?

3 Likes

Well then, thanks for saving me like an hour of work, now we need to crunch the possibilities of species linking up o produce the neccisary ampures.

humans have a pretty narrow viewpoint on the subject, we’re a land based species and have always been a land based species.
we don’t truly know if metalworking, electronics or any of the things we currently have technologically is necessary for a civilization.
as an example we once thought that life had to have a star for energy, or had to have water for life (so far not disproven but there are theories of life using liquid methane on other planets), or that life would be impossible on a frozen world or literally hell (venus), but now we have several theories on how they could work or have seen it work.
i believe that an underwater, spacefaring civilization IS possible, just not in the game, as we have to reference to how it would work, what technologies they would have, or even how long it would take them to reach that stage.
and even if it did it would probably brick most PCs and add on another lifetime or two to thrive’s development.

1 Like

The stack of electrocytes has long been compared to a voltaic pile, and may even have inspired the 1800 invention of the battery, since the analogy was already noted by Alessandro Volta. Source

So if they are analogous to batteries the logical question is “what, if any, electrical measurements increase when wiring together batteries?” Followed by “is that sufficient to solve the issue?”

When connecting in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries. More source

So you’re only increasing capacity. I’ll look into the required voltage to smelt metal to make sure voltage isn’t irrelevant and only used for like, marketing on batteries.

After this I spiraled into weird off the wall reaserch and have found the equations I need, but I’ma switch to my laptop to do all the math.

sorry for double posting

According to Joule the heating equation, P = I²R, we need 1538 joules to melt a cubic centimeter of iron, which is basically the main roadblock. We’d definitely need far, far, more, but this is a good starting point. after hours (frantic minutes lol) of research i found that we have a basically unlimited amount of discharge time, 1 amp, 10 volts (could probably be doubled), and 3.6 GJ. That one amp basically dooms us though. To get to the melting point of iron we need 8.113 ohms of resistance in out heating element, absolutely zero heat lost to the environment, and days of heating. We can heat for days, but the environment dooms us. Water is stupidly good at soaking up heat. With a vacuum chamber (which we definitely do not have) we could connect wires directly to a piece or iron like from a meteor so it doesn’t need smelting, and find that the 100 hours i allotted is useless due to the high conductivity of iron, and if we waited weeks instead, heat radiation in the form of infrared light would instead render the iron mildly warmed. So yeah, find me a theoretical biological process that allows hundreds of amps at an electric eels volt-and discharge periods and you can maybe melt an iron cube smaller than a d6 after drying it off first.
(joules and hours can be increased by just adding more eels, or using a longer eel, so i just used the required joulage to melt iron and 100 hours, amps have to be one due to how electric organs discharge, and resistance was the output, far, far higher than the cubic centimeter of iron i’m using as a baseline, i’ll save this tab so i can recalculate with time or joules as the output)

sorry dude. I really have better things to do with my time anyways, i dont even like math.
edit: eels only have 3600 joules per hour i think? and we need a million. I know the amp-hours can be increased but since that relates to joules the opposite way it relates to hours (why i said hours are infinite with enough eels) stacking eels doesn’t help, and we need 3 million, so yeah

I enjoy math, yet i can COMPLETELY understand not liking it. For example, i hate geometry.

1 Like

geometry suckkks, anyways anyone who knows anything about electrical engineering can tell me i’m dumb, i most defiantly am, it’s just that i might have somehow failed to do something dumb calculating this.

am i a failure for only having this many tabs of research?

we’d also have to calculate electricity discharging into surrounding water and not just heating the water, so maybe like…25% electricity lost? Maybe more.

edit: 25% may be being generous…

i dislike having more then 10 tabs