Utopian Scenarios

Since blackjacksike liked my post in this topic, I’m going to post another one of my thoughts on utopian societies - that of the false or incomplete utopia. A utopia for the privileged.
Brave New World is a go-to example of this system - humans are created through cloning, and their development is controlled to put them into various castes. The lower castes (up to Epsilon) have stunted growth and are menial laborers, while the higher-ups are stimulated to perhaps superhuman abilities.
In the finale, the World Controller argues that the lower castes are necessary for the continued functioning of society - the iconoclasty and ability of the Alphas necessitates their minority status.
He’s right, in a sense. There are two economic demands in conflict for a utopia - the need for high productivity/service creation while not working much.
There are a few ways to solve this problem. Brave New World primarily used clone slaves - many find that objectionable, due to the whole “souls” thing. Alien slaves could be another solution, but then again, souls. Mechanical systems probably also served to further productivity, as it has been since the invention of anything.
It should be known at this point that an ideologically pure utopia is impossible - you’ll have to compromise at least one aspect of it to have a functional society. You could try a more neutered form of their demands, as they are good in theory. For example, the labor movement pushes for shorter work days with respect to rising productivity, but doesn’t abolish work altogether. And trying to mitigate people’s pain in general (an aspect that BNW pushed to the point of hollowness) is always usually a great idea.

In the culture series (The Culture - Wikipedia) they have non-sentient machines do all the heavy labour. The more complex tasks are handled by hyper intelligent AIs (the Minds). That leaves all the humanoids and sentient machines to do mostly whatever they want.