Utopian Scenarios

So it was a mistake

Well, yeah.

I just didnt know what he was talking about because of it.

(this conversation is starting to obliterate my brain cells)

@RoboRomb Plz vote i made the whole round and then i remembered u and now its saved in a folder anoying me that i made it without you.

You just described the Universal Union from Half-Life 2, but they are inter dimensional empire because they can’t travel through space so they just conquer one planet in a galaxy and move onto the next dimension they detect something to conquer in.

1 Like

huh thats hilarious

Immeasurable power being used to enslave all the aliens, and humans (in only 7 hours).
Now that’s how you build an empire.

1 Like

Wait but how would the aliens invade earth whats their plan of invasion

There are a TON of videos on the 7 hour war if you want to see how they did it.

3 Likes
1 Like

I just reread what you said and I think you thought I meant literal power and not military power which is what I meant.

Yea, pretty much the Universal Union from Half Life 2.

While the Combine are interesting, I’ll try to make this one differen from that.

I may not even include them in a story, i’ll probably just stick with the dystopian one.

They are planning on making a Half-Life movie and I really hope they follow the story of the game or if they aren’t they could make the movie be the 7 Hour War. Then we could see the true power of the combine instead of the tiny patrol force they left to keep Earth in line.

They’re making a Half-Life movie?

Have any sources?

Is it being made by J.J Abrams?

Plans can change, however I forget who the Director was that they wanted. I’ll let you know if I find out.

1 Like

That would be good to know! I just finished getting through the citadel in Episode 1.

1 Like

I have all of the half-life games and expansions. Opposing force adds a completely new alien force invading beside the xen aliens.

1 Like

I like the Race X creatures. They seem to be less advanced than the Xenians though, since they rely mainly on organic technology rather than the Xenians advanced semi-organic technology. Not much is known about the Race X area of Xen, other than the occasional glimpse of it when using the Displacer cannon.

For some reason, I can’t play Blue Shift or Opposing Force, because they’re broken for some reason.

1 Like

Well, if this topic hasn’t gotten off topic! This makes me very angry.
As for utopian scenarios, we have a theme for them.

My thoughts on utopias are that you’ll need a lot of resources to maintain, for all those luxuries, and solving societal ills is another problem your society must do to become a utopia. This theme implies that your society is pacific, as war is a societal ill and a huge drain on your fun budget.
Another societal ill that a utopia should have to solve is income inequality, as being broke is not my idea of a utopia. If you’re not too fond of complete equality, I’m sure we can work out the economics of a utopia another time. You’ll need a ton of resources anyways, why not give everyone a generous minimum?

Perhaps the one societal ill that isn’t adressed is politics. I think you’re trying to refer to something bad by a “liberal paradise,” but a utopia is supposed to benefit everyone. There are failed attempts, with many dystopian scenarios ( ie: Harrison Bergeron, Brave New World ) having ideas which are benevolent in theory but end up with a stupid oppressive system. A utopia would most likely value free speech (there’s not many bad things to say about the government without making a looney of yourself) and presumably tend to a post-political nature. Economics is not much of a question because we’ve progressed past scarcity, everyone can get what they want. War is a more complex question - most citizens would rather curl up in their luxury homes, but that doesn’t rule out a shadow council secretly waging war through robots to obtain more resources to fuel these luxuries.
And so we come to the sad end of a utopia. All good things must come to an end, empires crumble, energy is finite. The wise may slowly phase out their utopic desires as resources dwindle, or could try more Malthusian (read: Thanos) methods to reduce demand. If such an end is unsuspected, perhaps the country is invaded, then we will have a nation of disgruntled sloths. Let’s see if their comfy chairs have removed them from any direct action long enough.

4 Likes

I was talking about the dystopian scenario not the utopia scenario

I always did love that theme.

Good work, Oliver, good work.