What do you think about this new forum?

I’m overall impressed by this new forum. It looks quite nice.
However…
I feel this forum is in real need of a theme. I liked how the old forum had a certain look to it and this is a lot of a change.
I also am personally bothered by how small these profile pic circles are. In the old forum we had these big squares right near a person’s post that showed some personality beyond what words can express. Personally, I’d hate to see this go because I take pride in changing my profile pics every month or so to represent the changing incarnations of Foushoo: God of Wind and Order.
Also you can’t immediately see a posters full screen name which I personally liked to change often in the old forum for similar reasons as the point explained above.

1 Like

I’ve made some settings changes and renamed the “full name” field on profiles to Vanity Name. So now people can change it whenever they want, and get banned for having an inappropriate name, and it shows up after their username on posts.

I haven’t found any big issues (except for how you had to add a “favorite animal” when creating an account, feel like doing that later would be a bit better), but do you think it would be possible to add a “themes” option later? I think it’d look prettier if it weren’t just white.

The “Favorite species” field should be optional.

We currently only have the default discourse themes installed. It’s possible to change the theme to the “dark” theme in your preferences under “Interface”.

How did I not notice the “optional”… Whelp I did find a second issue: the “location” thing in the about me has a very small maximum amount of symbols: 9 to be exact.
Also, the “dark” theme is still pretty ugly, I think. (but better than the blinding white of course). I prefer the “different hues of black with blue accents” of space theme over this “everything is black” the dark theme has.

I added the word “optional” after your post. I didn’t find an option to set the max length for a “location” field.

The themes haven’t been edited yet. @Oliveriver said that he would do some customization soon.

Edit: I just tried setting my location in my profile to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and it didn’t give me an error.

Huh… now that I tested it again I could type more than 9 symbols…weird…

Quick edit: Could it be possible to add something similar to the “shoutbox” to this forum?
Second edit: Well Belgium I have now started grinding badges :confused: (totally didn’t add an emoji to get the badge)

1 Like

There could be thread for random messages that can be used as a replacement for the shoutbox

So… the “THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn’t Deserve A New Thread Thread] Thread”?
I feel like there’s a reason that thread and the shoutbox both existed (in the not-so-old forum)

I did find a plugin that would add a chat box that is in a side bar. But I’m unsure whether it’s something that’s actually needed on a forum.

Maybe… I think the best course of action now would be to just wait for other people to give their ideas/opinions

I didn’t know we could have subcategories :o
Maybe we should have #science, #forum-games and maybe #introductions inside #not-thrive?

That makes them less visible. And they don’t clutter the home page too much. But I’ll move forum games to be a sub forum, as that isn’t the most important category to see on the home page.

Do you think it would be wise to rename the #site-feedback page to something like the broader “meta”, so that we could also use it for talking about, for example, Revolutionary Game Studios or something

The site feedback category is automatically created by discourse, and at least some of the automatically created ones say that they shouldn’t be changed. But I think future game or a new sub category would fit perfectly for threads like discussing about Revolutionary Game Studios, as it is pretty strongly linked to the future of thrive.

But maybe a category like other stuff related to Revolutionary Game Studios which could have discussion about the launcher, our website etc. would be a good idea. I’d like to hear some more opinions before making a decision, though.

I like how the “THRIVE COMMUNITY FORUM” thing at the top just turns into a T with the rings around it when you scroll down, the small T matches up with the big one too

Speaking about “Thrive community forums” (A bit of a stretch, but shh), don’t you guys think it’s about time to lock down the not-as-old-forum-but-still-the-older-one and add a a big link sending others to this one? (There still still someone who didn’t get the memo that we moved to this one, but I sent him a link.)
Also, the site still links to the older forum

I’m not sure if the switch to this place has been fully decided yet.

Maybe just put a link on the old forums anyway, currently I don’t think a lot of people have even signed up on this forum. Right now we don’t even know wether the majority of the community even likes the new forum.

We’ve got only 17 registered users on this forum.

@Oliveriver said that he would do some theme work on this forum and I assume that after that he can start updating the website links and (maybe) closing the old forum.

1 Like