What do you think about this new forum?

Is it possible to make the profile pics larger? It’s not a deal breaker but I’d personally like to see it as it was on the old forum.

At least there isn’t a simple option that would make them bigger. Also many of the places that have the profile picture can’t really be made bigger as they wouldn’t fit.

I quickly searched but didn’t find a discourse plugin that would make the profile pictures bigger on posts.

Changing the profile picture size would probably mess with the layout on mobile, for which I think the profile picture sizes are perfect for a phone screen to be able to read the posts.

I do think the pictures could be a bit bigger on posts but it’s not a huge issue for me.

I did find a cool Christmas hat theme for profile pictures.

2 Likes

My christmas hat now has a christmas hat.

2 Likes

I had a go but found it more time consuming than I remembered. I’ll try again later today and then this can happen.

I’ve tried a few things but in general I’m still far from satisfied with this design. Some parts were poached from the dev forums, others based on my favourite theme for the community forums, Ocean. I’ve also fiddled with a few minor admin settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions for changes or additions?

Before I refreshed this page I was about to comment that I couldn’t actually reed the text… But after refreshing it looks good.

There are a few things that could be improved like the thread title not fitting in the top bar with all the links. Can the links be moved a bit to the right? And some of the colours are a bit hard to see when they don’t have the white post background. Like the link “view latest topics” at the bottom is not the most readable.

I also changed the small icon back as the larger image is not really readable in such a small size.

Edit: also any images not saved to the theme, should be posted in https://community.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/t/assets-for-the-site-design/7/3 and linked from there

Also in the admin section the white background gets cut off on the left side for some reason.

I also tested on mobile and there the background colour isn’t that good and the profile pictures in posts go outside the post box. I might be able to try to tweak these at some point.

Also this theme might be a better base to use:

It looks a bit too brigth to me (then again i like dark themes, other people migth prefer brigth ones)

There is a button in the top right to switch between day and night.

i mean this one, not the one you posted

Okay, I thought you were already testing that one.

Also I found one more issue: the background in this thrive theme is not an https link causing firefox to show a warning triangle on the padlock, so users will be scared because we have non-secure content on each page.
I fixed this by uploading the background to the site assets thread. I did have to change the server configuration to properly allow images larger than 1 megabyte to be uploaded.

Also i didn’t know discorse did this Captura
That’s pretty cool

Yes it is, it’s almost like instant messaging, like discord or slack.

Woah that’s a cool feature, so this is like if discord and the old forum had a baby

Hence the name “Discourse”.
Not sure where ProBoards comes in, but eh.

1 Like

So this place a has a theme now, looks good.

HERE IS AN IMPORTANT POLL

The poll asks: should we stay or should we go? Please carefully consider the relative merits of this forum and the proposed new community forum. This forum is unwieldy from the admins’ perspective and is filling up with ads and spambots. The new forum is potentially unwieldy from a users’ perspective and won’t carry over any of your user information. Note that the theme of the new forum CAN BE CHANGED and if chosen we’ll try to prettify it a little.

While we may have to overrule the community’s decision if many developers object, this poll should determine which we go for in the near future at least. I’ll leave it open until 2018, by which I mean Monday.

Wow, this forum looks quite nice now.
Love what you’ve done with the place

4 Likes