Floatin’ - A Community Speculative Evolution Game

The ‘magic’ is just to hold this place together. The reason it isn’t specifically defined is actually so that a creature couldn’t evolve to use it, as it has no mechanics to use/exploit. It just exists.

Damn you really want them to be small bois. I’ll update charts

1 Like

for every kind of extinction event smaller = better also i accidentally made them so small a regular mitochondrion would take up a quarter to a half of it’s body
@TwilightWings21 i’m guessing the main reason the last one wasn’t on the list is because i forgot to name it

Not really, also, you basically just used magic for photoplastix micropods

no i said not less efficient not same production for their organelles and i just reduced their size by the difference between the average prokaryote cell and the average eukaryote cell for all the micropods at the start of that lineage
edit: i guess i did I’ll fix that
edit2: fixed it

ancestor: flamingo
name: pole legs
adaptations: longer legs, projectile spit.
diet: manta aeropods
description: a flamingo that walk about 3 meters high due to their extremely long legs which have photoreceptors to make sure they will actually touch something before they put their feet down and will spit at aeropods to keep them still before eating them
habitat: any large rock or set of rocks

species template because there are 25 posts in the way
ancestor:
name:
adaptations:
diet:
description:
habitat:

Aeropods are aereoplankton, which by definition cant move away.

i changed it so it is a completely different much larger species of insect

ancestor: crustfish
name: shieldfish
adaptations: protruding exoskeleton, interlocked scales, harder exoskeleton, scales are harder than steel, irises, eye shields are harder, more complex brains and muscles
diet: marine animals
description: this blobfish species has a much larger pressure tolerance range than their ancestors due to their highly pressurized durable shells keeping their bodies at their natural pressure while still allowing them to go deep where the pressure is too high for anything that might try to eat them as well as survive on land
habitat: anywhere with a dense fluid they can survive in ex: water
ancestor: clump grass
name: large clump grass
adaptations: minerals are deposited beneath the surface of the clump, hydrogen vacuoles in surface cells, magnetized digestive tubes, hydrochloric acid, the things to resist it, 10 feet bigger.
diet: aerospears, the SUN
description: this species of ballmoss after reaching the surface of their water balls will fill the cells touching air with hydrogen to keep them at the surface of the water so they can expand into a tube
filled with a large anoxic amoeboid cell to eat aerospears and take in their polarized iron chunks and magnetize their tubes in a specific direction to attract nearby aerospears and repeat the process with less time until the next one, and deposit the silica in the inside of their clumps to increase stability
habitat: water balls

ancestor: serval
name: island runner
adaptations: better claws for grabbing asteroids, faster running speed, better jumping muscles, stronger jaws, stronger claws, softer and quieter paw pads, stronger leg bones,
diet: birds (especially cathunter owls), membranous rabbits, sandworms, cave diggers, soil makers, polar bear, razorgrazers.
description: this species of serval is stronger, faster, quieter, and more durable than their predecessors because of their tendency to kill cathunter owls on sight to protect their young from predation and feed the meat to their cubs whenever they kill one of those birds they have deemed a threat to their way of life if they have cubs, these big cats will also run across rockworms and cypress systems whenever they have the 3am zoomies, on the offchance that they find one they will gang up on a polar bear that has strayed too far from it’s home, tear it apart piece by piece, and bring it back to their young
habitat: anywhere they feel like it

ancestor: eastern brown snake
name: finned brown snake
adaptations: collapsible fin like scales, faster move speed, every 4th rib protrudes a bit.
diet: small rodents
description: a brown snake with collapsible fin-scales that it uses to ‘slither’ in the air from asteroid to asteroid and every 4th rib protrudes a bit to help with moving on the bridge islands uneven terrain
habitat: needlebridge, stickbridge, and logbridge island systems

ancestor: ephedra shrub
name: ephedra grass
adaptations: smaller, more flexible
description: a small grasslike plant that lives on the bridge islands due to how connected they are and how much nutrients they hold
habitat: bridgelands

Uhh no actually it was because I missed you above post with the actual viral micro pod and claw bear, and so thought it was the viral micro pod lol

Edit: Currently there are no marine Isopods iirc. There are irl, but not in this asteroid belt.

Edit 2: How does the blobfish descendant swim in air? The finned snake I can kinda understand, thought it wouldn’t be very efficient movement, pushing small amounts of air by raising and lowering the fin-scales, but air is a completely different substrate that water to ‘swim’ in.

Tbh I probably shouldn’t allow the finned snake to be plausible as it really doesn’t work, but it’s ok. The fish though does not.

Also, glad you are enjoying the forum game! However, please do keep in mind that iirc you have made about three quarters of the submissions. Not saying stop - just saying be sure to leave opportunity for other people to create stuff.

Edit 3: Sheets fully updated, excluding Shieldfish

1 Like

fixed the sheildfish.
most of the ones i’m doing at the moment are just to make more interesting and more viable creatures to evolve things from

1 Like

ancestor: florida scrub jay
name: luminescent scrub jay
adaptations: bioluminescent, has viral micropods as organelles, slightly bigger, better flying motion, sharper vision, quieter feathers.
diet: insects, frogs, bird eggs, young worms(sand, cavedigger, rock), juniper seeds.
description: a species of 10 - 13 inch long scrub jays with a dim glow and a higher visual resolution as well as a better flying motion for low gravity with an atmosphere and quieter feathers, the
luciferin and luciferase producing micropodial organelles are a result of a viral micropod reproductive envelope infecting an unfertilized egg cell at just the right angle long enough before it was fertilized for it’s plasmids to get incorporated into the dna in the nucleus
habitat: anywhere with food they can eat

Shieldfish looks the same on my end.

Anyway yeah! I just want to make sure other people also get to create, but I like most of your ideas so far, even if they have a few bumps to work out

Edit: How do the viral micro pods work as organelles? Seriously confused.

1 Like

just realized i forgot to explain that and i am going to fix it
edit: i have fixed the lack of explanation
edit2: the snakes don’t really like being in the air so they only use the fin-scales to get back to land

1 Like

Using only your view of what is viable or interesting…

All extinction events are fairly major by the way, a few on the lesser side admittedly.

The sixth extinction event will be a mass extinction though, killing off 99% of all life.

1 Like

for interesting sure it might only be to me but for viable it is from the same standpoint as natural selection(how much energy does it make how much does it use does it have a viable diet if it is an animal how well can it move if it suddenly starts floating can it get back to the ground etc.)
edit:

out of the 66 current non seed species i have made 34 if i counted them right
edit2: it is now 67:35 or 68:36

1 Like

I like your stuff! Just trying to make you aware, no need to stop creating quite yet

1 Like

the things i changed about the shieldfish are “can swim in air” → “can survive on land” and “marine isopods”–>"small marine animals
it’s photoplastic mircopod not photoplasmic micropod

ancestor: hammerhead shark
name: ingothead shark
adaptations: taller skull, wider gill holes, longer fins, better eyesight, atrophied ability to sense gravity
diet: marine animals
description: a species of shark with an ingot shaped head and gills wide enough you could stick your hand in them as well as longer fins and better eyesight these smooth brained sharks will also try to eat crustfish and shieldfish even though their bite strength is way too low for that
habitat: any body of water

species template because there are 12 posts in the way
ancestor:
name:
adaptations:
diet:
description:
habitat:

1 Like

Not important, but you did miss something and still list its habitat as air.

Anyway really glad this is progressing decently, still have quite a few evolutions left but some families like isopods and sand worms already have all their members

1 Like

when the time comes for an extinction event could you post a description of it from an extinct animal’s POV

Hmm that would be an interesting take. Sure thing!

1 Like

ancestor: red tailed hawk
name: glowtail hawk
adaptations: bigger more flexible wings, tail glows, wing tips glow, quieter feathers, better eyesight.
diet: bats, frogs, toads, insects, snakes, luminescent scrub jay.
description: a species of hawk that it’s most notable feature is it’s bioluminescent tail and wing tips which are achieved through consuming luminescent scrub jays and used to attract prey they also have a flying motion that works well with no gravity so they can move easier and not just fly into anything directly above them because of a lack of gravity
habitat: anywhere their prey lives, undersides of log-bridges

ancestor: pit viper hawk moth
name: pit viper mimic
adaptations: motile snake, snake part can see(not very well), snake part has a slight split where the mouth would be, adults look like monarch butterflies
diet: plants.
description: a pit viper moth species that is able to move the snake mimic to scare off predators and it has photoreceptors in the snake mimic’s eye areas, they live in the canopies of cypress bridge trees and munch on their leaves, the adults also vaguely look like monarch butterflies
habitat: bridge forests.