Future wiki content & development concepts/decisions

Speaking of organelles, have you read this post (Future wiki content & development concepts/decisions)? What do you think about it? Would it be realistic? Could it be implemented into the game?

About buoyancy? I’m not sure about that, firstly it sounds cool and is clearly something fish use. However I don’t think most microbes use it as a technique, if you can find examples that would be really helpful.

Microbes are close to the size of water molecules so for them it’s more like being in a ball pond rather than how water is to us so it’s not so easy to move up I think.

1 Like
Actually, I found something interesting about gas vacuole (I actually thought it was theoretical, but apparently it’s not).

Here :

https://www.encyclopedia.com/science/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/gas-vacuoles-and-gas-vesicles

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC378419/

What do you think about it, @tjwhale?

Ok yeah awesome thanks for finding those. I guess they are real and sound interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Achievements

Speaking of wiki, I’m reviving this thread for the purpose of making a wiki inside this very thread. This post is now the first wiki post of the entire topic. Thus, if a feature is confirmed by the dev team, it can be put here by anyone. Just make sure that features (e.g. CPA, Patches, etc.) are separated by multiple “-” characters. For instance, writing “----” below will do this :

Just be careful. Sometimes, it can just make your characters bigger. In that case, press “Enter” before “----”, and it should do the trick (that’s what I have just done). I’m saying this only for people who didn’t know about the feature, just in case.
Anyway, only write the features below (i.e. don’t edit what is mentioned here unless you’re a leader/moderator and that you see I made a mistake in my tips), and they must be confirmed by the dev team. Speaking of dev team, hi developers. You can write the confirmed features as well as their established rules here. Anyone is free to do edit here as long as it is confirmed.

Thanks, and have fun! (gabeN)

EDIT : I might add my ideas as proposal.
RE-EDIT: Hmm, I mean, WE might add OUR ideas as proposals.

General

Steam (proposals)

It is known that it costs 100$ to put a game on Steam. It has been suggested by @blackjacksike that a Steam Workshop feature could come with the Steam release, but hhyyrylainen said that he would not implement such a thing unless the Steam release would cost money as a “forced donation”.

@blackjacksike’s proposal: 5.00$ for the game could be good enough.

Source :

Achievements (proposals)

General

• Disco Fever (@narotiza) : Complete an entire game in Disco Mode, from Microbe to Ascension.
  • Doesn’t afraid of anything (@Mitobox) : Name an organism “Thrive.”
  • Staring Death in the eyes (@Mitobox) : While hiding, be in close proximity to a predator without getting found for at least 30 seconds.
  • Out Of Gas (@Mitobox) : During the Society Stage or above, deplete your home planet’s supply of fossil fuels.
  • Dodo (@Oliveriver) : Go extinct.
  • Dodon’t (@Oliveriver) : Bring your species back from the brink of extinction.
  • Hyperspace Bypass (@Oliveriver) : Destroy a planet.
  • Artistic Licence (@Oliveriver) : Complete the game with the LAWK toggle off.
  • Living in Harmony (@Oliveriver) : Listen to every piece of music in the game for at least 10 seconds in one play session.

Microbe Stage

• Learn… (@blackjacksike) : Complete the tutorial.
  • and adapt. (@blackjacksike) : Buy your first upgrade.
  • Ironborn (@blackjacksike) : Use iron in your cell’s metabolism.
  • Symbiosis (@blackjacksike) : Have a symbiotic relationship with another cell.
  • Organized… (@blackjacksike) : Help your cell make phospholipid membranes inside itself (Buy a nucleus).
  • αnd prepared. (@blackjacksike) : Develop a toxic agent.
  • Autotrophic (@blackjacksike) : Buy a chloroplast, chromatophores or a thermoplast.
  • Heterotrophic (@blackjacksike) : Buy a mitochondrion.
  • A new organelle (@blackjacksike) : Engulf a bacteria that becomes an organelle.
  • A rare number (@blackjacksike) : Reach generation 3.
  • Surviving (@blackjacksike) : Reach generation 6.
  • Populating (@blackjacksike) : Reach generation 9.
  • Being successful (@blackjacksike) : Reach generation 12.
  • Winning (@blackjacksike) : Reach generation 15.
  • Unification Day (@blackjacksike)/Humble Origins (@Mitobox) : Form a cell colony.
  • Micro-Borg (@Oliveriver) : Assimilate a bacterium.
  • Stayin’ Alive (@Oliveriver) : Kill five microbes when the disco mode cheat is activated.
  • Mmm, Sunlight (@Oliveriver) : Develop photosynthesis.
  • Amazingly Well Adapted (@Oliveriver) : Reach the next stage with hardcore settings.
  • Sluuuuurp (@Oliveriver) : Engulf another microbe.
  • Sluuuuur-oh (@Oliveriver) : Die while engulfing another microbe.
  • Punctuated Equilibrium (hhyyrylainen) : Enter and exit the editor without making any changes, then use up all 100 Mutation Points in your next editor session.
  • Micro-Murder (hhyyrylainen) : Kill another microbe
  • Micro-Slaughter (hhyyrylainen) : Kill ten microbes
  • Micro-Massacre (hhyyrylainen) : Kill one hundred microbes
  • Shish-Kebab (hhyyrylainen) : Kill another microbe with a Predatory Pilus.
  • Panic! (hhyyrylainen) : Go Extinct while Disco Mode is active

Multicellular

• Toward sentience (@blackjacksike)/Growing Pains (@Mitobox) : Develop a nervous system.
  • Tardigrade/Tardigreat (@narotiza) : Create an extremophilic species in multicellular.

Aware

Awakening

• Together Strong (@blackjacksike)/Big Plans (@Mitobox) : Build a Society Center.
  • Now what? (@narotiza) : Get stuck in the stone age, likely due to being an aquatic organism with the inability to discover fire.

Society

Industrial

• Odd similarity (@blackjacksike) : Go through the game while having a history similar to humans’ (Microbe stage to Industrial stage).
  • Synthetic rebellion (@blackjacksike) : Discover the robotic threat (robots rebellion).
  • Big old EMP charges (@blackjacksike) : Win against the robotic threat.
  • Cold-hearted killers (@blackjacksike) : Lose against the robotic threat.
  • Screw the Matrix (@blackjacksike) : Overthrow the robotic threat by leading a resistance.
  • XCOM (@blackjacksike) : Discover the new threat (aliens attack your home planet).
  • Combine (@blackjacksike) : Lose against the alien threat.
  • Seven Hour War (@blackjacksike) : Lose against the alien threat in exactly or approximately seven hours.
  • Omicron’s opinion about The Elders’ IQ (@blackjacksike) : Win against the alien threat.
  • Orange Crowbar (@blackjacksike) : Overthrow the aliens by leading a resistance.
  • Being RoboRomb (@blackjacksike)/Left the Cradle (@Mitobox) : Find a way to travel through space.
  • Now I am become death (@Mitobox) : Unlock the “nuclear warhead” function part.
  • Destroyer of Worlds : Drop a nuclear weapon, causing an immense number of casualties.

Space

• Manifest Destiny (@blackjacksike) : Find out what happened to humans.
  • Humanity’s savior (@blackjacksike) : Revive or save humanity after finding out what happened to humans if need be.
  • Becoming a God (@blackjacksike)/To The Top (@Mitobox) : Reach the Ascension stage.
  • Earth Share (@blackjacksike) : Help humans reach the Ascension stage.

Ascension

• Pantheon (@Mitobox) : Reach Ascension as 5 different species.

P.S.: Try to make reference to tv shows, other video games, novels, movies, quotes, etc. Or even inside jokes, if you want to.

Sources :

Microbe Stage

This stage is based on two types of gameplay such as environmental gameplay and editor gameplay. Environmental gameplay is the part when the player can move its cell around and explore, while the editor gameplay is when the player is ready to reproduce as a mean to evolve the cell.

Transitions

Start: Currently no transition as it is the first stage.
End: Binding multiple cells with “Adhesion Proteins” or “Bonding Signal agent” to form a multicellular colony.
Proposal #1 by @blackjacksike : It could be possible to differentiate bacteria gameplay from the Microbe Stage by creating the Bacteria Stage.

Sources:

Votes

Achievements

Which achievements do you want to see in the game (for the Microbe Stage)?

• Microbe: Start the game as a prokaryote.
  • Learn… : Complete the tutorial.
  • and adapt. : Buy your first upgrade.
  • The Division : Reproduce your cell for the first time.
  • Ironborn : Use iron in your cell’s metabolism.
  • Symbiosis : Have a symbiotic relationship with another cell.
  • Organized… : Help your cell make phospholipid membranes inside itself (Buy a nucleus).
  • αnd prepared. : Develop a toxic agent.
  • Autotrophic : Buy a chloroplast, chromatophores or a thermoplast.
  • Heterotrophic : Buy a mitochondrion.
  • A new organelle : Engulf a bacteria that becomes an organelle.
  • A rare number : Reach generation 3.
  • Surviving : Reach generation 6.
  • Populating : Reach generation 9.
  • Being successful : Reach generation 12.
  • Winning : Reach generation 15.
  • Unification Day/Humble Origins : Form a cell colony.
  • Micro-Borg : Assimilate a bacterium.
  • Stayin’ Alive : Kill five microbes when the disco mode cheat is activated.
  • Mmm, Sunlight : Develop photosynthesis.

0 voters

Same question (poll doesn’t let me put more than 20 options)

• Amazingly Well Adapted : Reach the next stage with hardcore settings.
  • Sluuuuurp : Engulf another microbe.
  • Sluuuuur-oh : Die while engulfing another microbe.
  • Flagellant : Have 10 flagella on your microbe.
  • Punctuated Equilibrium : Enter and exit the editor without making any changes, then use up all 100 Mutation Points in your next editor session.
  • It costs 200 thoundsund atp to swim for 12 seconds : have over 40 flagellium
  • Micro-Murder : Kill another microbe
  • Micro-Slaughter : Kill ten microbes
  • Micro-Massacre : Kill one hundred microbes
  • Live, Damn You! : Recover from a near death exprience
  • I-I’m Alive? : Survive for over an hour without dying.
  • Shish-Kebab : Kill another microbe with a Predatory Pilus.
  • Panic! : Go Extinct while Disco Mode is active

0 voters

1 Like

I would like to quote TJWhale here.

I think that if achievements pop up every two minutes (Start the game as a prokaryote, Buy your first upgrade, Reproduce your cell for the first time…), they lose their meaning and seem a bit patronizing. Does that mean we shouldn’t have achievements for milestones? No. But I think that one milestone achievement per stage is enough. Speaking of which, I think it’s redundant to have an achievement at the end of one stage and another one at the end of it. Doing so would result in getting two achievements every time (e.g. “Develop a nervous system” at the same time as “Begin the Aware stage”) and when you oversaturate the player with achievements for anything they do, how much impact would the achievement have on the player when they actually accomplish something?

I really like the achievements that either

• force you to experiment and do stuff you might not come across normally
    (“Disco Fever”, “Artistic Licence”, “Stayin’ Alive”, “It costs 200 thousand atp to swim for 12 seconds”, “I-I’m Alive?”…)
  • or that serve as a proof of your skill
    (“Amazingly Well Adapted”, “Micro-Massacre”, “Dodon’t”…)
  • or the lack of it
    ("Dodo ", “Sluuuuur-oh”, “Panic!”…)

Does that mean we shouldn’t use achievements for milestones that every player experience on their first playthrough? No, we should, but we should use them more scarcely. That being said, I really love the idea of these polls, keep them coming!

8 Likes
Thanks for your reply. It proves that people care about it. Anyway, I agree with you that some achievements are redundant. However, I find the achievement “(…) swim for 12 seconds” useless because the devs are fighting organelle gluttony unless there will be a realism mode that will allow the player to get as much ATP as in real life (30 or 32) with scientifically correct stoichiometry.

I guess we will have to make a choice at some point.

Yes, that achievement is probably not-too-realistic, that is true. However, I like the idea of an achievement like that as it forces the player to try and push their limits or evolve into something obscure. If I were to give a “LAWK achievement” with the similar idea, it would be something along the lines of evolving wings but abandoning flight (chickens, ostriches, penguins…) or some other mildly obscure design that forces the player to play the game differently than before.

Of course we do, I think you’re doing an amazing job at “resurrecting” the wiki!

1 Like

Steam release price suggestions if it’d come with a price to support devs

• Between 1.00$ and 5.00$ (US or CDN)
  • Between 5.00$ and 10.00$ (US or CDN)

0 voters

Oh, and by the way, I’ll close a poll when it has between 10 and 20 voters.

Thrive is FREE. The devs will decide how they get paid. Propably through patreon.
Also, add a free option.

2 Likes
I wasn’t trying to say that the STEAM RELEASE will cost money. It is ONLY IN THE CASE OF hhyyrylainen suggestion for a paid steam release.

It would be useful if we want a Steam Workshop (find and read hhyyrylainen’s suggestion).

I wanted to go for exactly $5, so I went for the lower price and here is why. If you put a game that is available for free on steam, making the price too high might discourage people from actually buying it, since they can get it for free. And yes, a lot of people would buy it even if the price was $10, but I think that everyone will buy it if it’s going to be a fairly low price. And with the price of $5 you need just 20 people to buy it in order to cover the price of $100. I think that even $1 would be able to completely cover the price, but we love our devs and we want them to get that bread :money_with_wings: . So my proposal is a price that everyone can afford and won’t discourage players from actually buying the game despite it being available for free without being too low, which is in my opinion $5. The steam release could have its benefits, such as access to the dev builds (though I’m not sure whether you’d be able to have multiple versions of your game available on steam for people who don’t want to play the indev but rather a stable release). But you get the point, you give a bit of money for something you could have for free and get a bit of a reward.
Thrive livestream have around 700-3.4k views, Kinesis’ Thrive-related videos have 260-7.9k views, so I would say it’s safe to assume AT LEAST, BARE MINIMUM of 100 people would buy the game. My personal estimate is around 300 people. If we want to be overly optimistic and hope that everyone will want to have access to dev builds and achievements and stuff, maybe, MAAYBEEE even 1k people. Those are just my very rough and vague estimates. Plus, it completely depends on what do the devs want.

1 Like

Many people want to see thrive get done at some point. In order to do that we need to raise money at some point to have some people working on thrive full time. I’ve seen many open source games charge some small amount for their steam releases and it seems that people can accept such a thing, if you want the convenience of getting the game on steam many are willing to make a small one time purchase to support the development.
I personally recently purchased mindustry on steam (which is an open source game):

It’s priced at 4.99

4 Likes

Perhaps what might be done is kinda what Minecraft did. For now the Steam price can be $5/5€ and when more money will be necessary, the price can be raised a bit (~$10?). So that we OG Thrive fans will have the game for 5 bucks, but as the game becomes more fleshed out with more monetization being necessary, the price can go slightly up.

I’ve got a game on Steam, I put it on for $1.

One thing that’s really interesting is almost all of my sales have been at a discount. People love discounts and sales and so I think it I was doing it again I’d put it up for $1.50 with a launch discount of 33%.

I think similarly for Thrive you want to put it up at a price where you are expecting to sell most of your copies at 50-75% of that price. So if you think it’s worth $5 I’d put it on for $8-10.

2 Likes

Hey, that’s a really clever strategy! Because ( ̶$̶1̶0̶ -50% $5) looks more attractive that ($5), I like that!

3 Likes
oof, hhyyrylainen might not be happy about this…

On a scale of 10, how would you rate Thrive before the engine change? (10=best and 1=worst)

0 voters

On a scale of 10, how would you rate Thrive after the engine change? (10=best and 1=worst)

0 voters

Would you want to put the prokaryotic gameplay into a stage preceding the Microbe Stage (Bacteria Stage)?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I don’t know/care

0 voters

Don’t we already have that? You can play as a prokaryote now right?

What would it mean to make a seperate stage out of it?

1 Like