General Religion

So while I was reading through the Society stage topics I noticed only a few aspects of religion where being discussed so I decided to start a discussion for people to talk about the mechanics of religion in the game.
I’ll start with a question:
“When creating your species religion will it be possible to create the religions pantheon (the gods)?”

5 Likes

I think it would be possible because after all when your species starts to get more curious I think they could give you the choice to make a religion to explain the things in their world and such.

Also…

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

2 Likes

Most likely. Most things in life will be attempted to be implemented into thrive. Also welcome to the forums @sparkaward

1 Like

It’s good to hear that. Also thanks for the welcome.

1 Like

I mean this game is probably going to implement all the general aspects of your journey to ascension so religion isn’t a bad idea

1 Like

Afaik and have read about that, the player would be able to, but it would probably be moved to a “realistic details” list, as it is a bit complex and has other things more important to develop. Sorry but i dont have the source here, though :no_mouth:.

Also, welcome to the forums newcomer Thrivist @sparkaward!
The community guidelines and instructions are here
and the topic to say how is your history with spore and thrive here

1 Like

Will there be religion in the game? And if so, how would it work?

In Civilization you could basically build your own religion by picking from a selection of benefits (i.e., worshipping a god of the sea grants bonus production to fishing boats).

Admittedly that’s not very scientific. Perhaps religion could grant some sort of morale boost for believers of said religion?

Perhaps multiple religions could develop as well (after all, there’s a wide variety of religions on Earth).

But how exactly would it work? If they worship the religion to closely, would they stop making scientific discoveries?

That depends on how you define “too closely”. Religion not necessarily hampers scientific discovery (see the Islamic Golden Age as an example). Depending on the religion in question, science might even be encouraged (i.e. if a dogma of the religion is the pursuit of knowledge, or when the species believes they may ascend to meet their god(s) once they understand how the world they created works- just spouting ideas at this point).

Of course, maybe the religion in question actively discourages science- gameplay-wise I guess you could make that into a debuff for research. But just like in real life I reckon maintaining that status quo would be difficult (i.e. the religion adapts and changes, another religion rises and replaces it, …).

1 Like

Good point, it could also encourage research.

But how would you create religion? Could you design pantheons of gods, and a whole religious system? Would that even be possible? And if so, how would it work? Would there be a the tech tree and tech editor? Or would something else just for religion be needed?

I’m just spouting ideas at this point, but I imagine there’s quite some possibilities. Designing an entire pantheon would be very neat (cfr. Civilization’s religion system, where a once you start a “pantheon” you get to choose a limited amount of gods that grant their own buffs).

I guess it would make sense for a civilization’s first gods to be related to the species’ direct environment. An amphibious species might have a lot of water-based gods, whereas a desert-dwelling species might not have a water god at all (perhaps an oasis god or something).

Of course I don’t know how in depth the devs plan religion to be in Thrive, but an intricate religion system where you can not only design the pantheon but even things such as rituals, places of worship, etc does sound neat (even if it’s only a pipe dream).

1 Like

That’s a good idea, but like you say, it woul be hard to implement, and the Devs might be taking a completely different route.

I suppose that such is the dilema of most games - which aspects must be developed, and which should be left in the background.

In the context of human civilization, religion is immensely important - I will not get into philosophical arguments about meaning of life, about personal philosophy, utility or dangers of religion. By their fruits you shall know them, and our modern civilization is, more or less, built on religion - so, whether for good, or whether for bad, faith was at the centre of human development.

But I think that what is important for us cannot always be translated well into gameplay - for us, religion is important, as it is how we justify and rationalise our life, or the opposite, we see it as a relic that may harm us. But religion is, fundamentally, something we live and experience. And for the pops in Thrive, I am sure that, theoretically, the case would be the same. But practically?

For us, as players, the question is how much will we feel the religion of our creatures - having an entire customisation mechanic for God(s) and rituals, for philosophy and way of life, for metaphysics sounds amazing. But it would be pointless if all it amounted to was an after thought, something you’d never see again once you leave the screen and all goes as normal, except now there are temples in your cities.

The customisation of religion, I think, should be parallel to the utility and practical experience of it. And I wouldn’t mind, as a player, to have the second taking the highlight, even if customisation is low.

On that note, the more important question is definitely how the mechanics behind religion may work. Maybe it is too early and I am not sure if the devs already have a vision about the society stage, and religion will definitely be an offshoot of the base, rather than something else (or will it? Haha). But personally, what I’d like to see, is for player’s agency to take a step back - if the game follows the path of Spore and suddenly we are not in charge how our species evolves biologically, then why should our godhood remain in social development as well? I think it may be fun, if not outright as the mechanic, then as an option, for religion to develop naturally on the basis of environment (harmonic, hostile, et cetera) and the social development of your species beforehand. And you, being a secular head of society, would have to interact with religion not as something you have in your utility belt, but as an actual separate entity that interacts and shapes your society - there may be sects within your tribe, there may be doomsday cults, there may be philosophers, naturalistic or otherwise. And you, as the player, would have to interact with them - benefit some, burn others, change them to your liking for as much as the situation would allow. I think that will spare religion from serving only as a tool and will instead breath life to it as an actual mechanic you’ll have to work with or around it.

Either way, maybe it is too early. But I’m definitely looking forward to see what is to come

2 Likes