Lets create our own language!

okay now thats cool. I’ll wait for some more votes before deciding. maybe like 6 or 7? are there that many people who’ll care enough to vote? idk
Edit: switched the category to other creativity cause it’s pretty creative

3 Likes

we restarted when the conversation was revived. Everything made so far is located here:

And i think a naturalistic language, with just a little bit of an engineered language would be perfect.

1 Like

like alien newspeak?

What is that? ive never heard of it.

newspeak is the fictional language of 1984. it’s a purposeful modification of english made by propaganda folks to change how people think. it has all the naturalistic chaos of english but way too purposefully constructed to be believable.

1 Like

What if it’s the naturalistic lenguage of a scientific civilization in which their science modified their lenguage over the millennia

2 Likes

We can use Obsidian to manage this project.

The only issue i see with this is that it requires a membership to obsidian, which I (and i would assume many others) dont have.

Google docs seems to be quite simple, universal, and free to use.

Edit: I wil use obsidian because it is quite easy to use, but i will still drop things into the doc so other people can use and edit and view the project

Ok.

1 Like

Here is a google doc with all of the information so far (i think?)

Does anyone have any suggestions for more phonotactics before moving on to grammar?

1 Like

Idea: addition of /x/ as an allophone to /h/.

1 Like

I love the idea, but I can only pronounce ħ and χ, so could it be one of them? And in what cases should we make it one or the other?

“A voiceless stop preceding an h aspirates the stop” means there’s gonna be a difference between aspirated stops and normal stops. won’t that be a bit of a problem for english speakers or

I think it can be all of them. Not in any specific case, my idea is that if someone can’t pronounce /h/, they can use a similar sound from their native language / the closest sound to it they can produce. For me it’s /x/.

Btw if you want to learn /x/, I hope this helps:

/x/ tutorial I made some time ago
  1. Say /k/ (for the ease of things, we’ll refer to it as ‘k’)
  2. Now say ‘k, k, k, k, k’ a couple of times.
  3. Whisper it. (It should sound something like ‘kh’)
  4. Elongate the ‘h’ in kh: ‘khhhh, khhhh, khhhh, khhhh’
  5. Eliminate the ‘k’ portion: ‘hhhh, hhhh, hhhh, hhhh’
  6. The ‘h’ you’re pronouncing should be the /x/. Try to play around with it to practice.
  7. Have fun!

I don’t mean to distinguish t from tʰ, just that’s how it is pronounced. I can’t really distinguish them to well, but since it doesn’t matter it’s fine.

And @Nie that helped me so much! Thank you!

1 Like

You’re Welcome!

Alright, so I think it is now time for some preliminary grammar.

Do we want SOV, SVO, VOS, etc?

And do we want to be head marking, tail marking, or a combination?

Maybe free word order? (I’ll be unresponsive for w while now, cause sleep)
Edit: Never mind. A restrective word order may be more interesting and easier to do.

1 Like

Could we do SVO then? I know this is definitely english bias but it feels the most logical, and is the only one im used to. I do want to do something interesting with word order though. Maybe allow omition of both subject and object?

Is it that the word order can be both SVO and OVS? I haven’t read 10000 wikipedia pages about grammar stuff yet, so I’m not really qualified to talk about it.