Lets create our own language!

I like the /v/ sound, also no, I’m not german

Spanish, right? i just remembered. Idk why but unless used very specifically i dont like the v sound, but since everyone seems to want it i guess i will add f and v

Bilabial Labiodental Alveolar Palatal Velar Glottal
Nasal m n ɲ ŋ
Stop p,b t,d k,g ʔ
Fricative f,v s,z ʃ,ʒ h
Approximate j
Lat. Approx. l

Here is a list of all vowels:
a æ ɑ ɒ ɐ e ɛ ɜ ɞ ə i ɨ ɪ y ʏ ø ɘ ɵ œ ɶ ɤ o ɔ u ʉ ʊ ɯ ʌ
we need 5. what do yall think?

1 Like

a ə i: aɪ o

i like it, but i would consider ai a diphthong, and if we are going to have long vowles then i feel there should be a distinction. So maybe something like this?:
a ə i ʊ ɑ
a: ə: i: ʊ: ɑ:
diphthongs: aɪ̯, aʊ̯, and əi̯
(the ʊ and ɑ are basically me splitting up the o into 2 distinct sounds)

That seems good

Well i am going to bed, but tomorrow we’ll talk about phonotactics maybe? I love how this is going so far.

I know very little about linguistics but this fascinates me

Neither did I when i posted here ~3 years ago, but id say i can hold a conversation on linguisitcs now.

Some reference for you to understand the conversation better:
The chart i made is basically just where the sound is pronounced.
ʃ is ‘sh’ as in short,ʒ is the ‘su’ in usually, and j is ‘y’ as in yes
CVC basically means a syllable can only have a consonant then a vowel, then a consonant.
All the weird looking vowels are just different pronunciations (all of those sounds are in english)

Can anyone think of some consonant clusters that they want to ban? Or maybe other phonotactical rules?

1 Like

It links to the entire playlist btw.

1 Like

maybe coda nasals should assimilate to the following consonant, e.g daʊ̯ŋtɑmkiː would be illegal but daʊ̯ntɑŋkiː would be fine. Also could ban two sounds clustering distinguished only by voicing, e.g no jəːʃʒin it would have to be either jəːʒʒin or jəːʃʃin.

1 Like

Definitely, i also have afew thoughts:
ɲ should only be in the onset of a syllable.
i want there to be a large amount of gemination (idk why) so maybe when a voiceless and voiced consonant cluster, it becomes a geminated voiced?

i also want to treat ʔ with some special care in terms of phonotactics, but i have no idea what to do.

1 Like

perhaps a coda ʔ could also become gemination instead, then we get some unvoiced gemination too.

1 Like

I like that idea! Anything else you want to add to phonotactics? i think we might have to make some arbitrary restrictions to give the language an identity. Maybe we could make ɲ and ŋ could be the same phoneme? ɲ coming at the starts of syllables and ŋ at the ends?

You have reawoken the sleeping nerd giant, I have come back from the dead and am very curious if we will actually make a conling this time

5 Likes

Join in! we were just discussing phonotactics.

I did put together a chart earlier on in the chat in 2019 if you scroll up but we could also start over

1 Like

One thing that i might want to add is θ simply so that thrive can be approximated via θəraɪ̯v. otherwise it would have to be approximated like təraɪ̯v, which sounds stupid.

EDIT: updated google docs with everything so far i believe.

1 Like

fəraɪ̯v exists as well, and sounds pretty close to θəraɪ̯v
to me

Yeah, but don’t you want our language to be able to pronounce it exactly?

Can someone please explain to me how each character sounds, I’m a little lost.
Also, we should start making words.