Lets create our own language!

So from looking at the results of the poll, I have noticed two issues.

1st is a tie between ergative/absolutive and nominative/accusative so we have to decide which one we want.

2nd is the fact that the majority supports the language being analytical, but everyone voted in at least some way to mark nouns, which would mean we would have to do a fusional or agglutinative language. So which would you guys prefer? I don’t really care which one we do.

2 Likes

Mark nouns with so many particles the language effectively becomes fusional but with spaces?? Have free word order but your place in the sentence decides tense? I have so many dumb ideas please ignore and do something sensible.

1 Like

That’s actually a pretty good idea! Like each noun is marked with a particle, which is different depending on its tense etc. That would definitely be a cool feature.

2 Likes

okay i think we need a phonology to do actual ideas for individual, uh, anything.
anyone got some ideas for phonology? IPA link pls use IPA so we can know what you mean.

Also i think we agree analytic but with some sort noun marking anyways, for locativity, plurality, and maybe something else, mark verbs for tense, maybe something else, and we’re Nominative/Accusative. any complaints? Have we settled on a tense structure?

Here is the phonology as of now:

Summary

Consonants

Bilabial Labiodental Dental Alveolar Palatal Velar Glottal
Nasal m n ɲ ŋ
Stop p,b t,d k,g ʔ
Fricative f,v θ s,z ʃ,ʒ h
Approximate j
Lat. Approx. l

Vowels

Front Central Back
High i,iː ʊ,ʊː
Medium ə,əː
Low a,aː ɑ,ɑː

Phonotactics

• Syllable Structure: CV(C)

• Ex: fʊʒ or θaɪ̯

• Two sounds clustering distinguished only by voicing is illegal

• Ex: jəːʃʒin is illegal, jəːʒʒin or jəːʃʃin are not

• ɲ and ŋ are the same phoneme: ɲ is in the onset, ŋ located in the coda

• Ex: ɲaŋ is legal, ŋiɲ is not

• A voiced and a voiceless consonant clustering creates voiced gemination

• Ex: sɑːfvih becomes sɑːvvih

• A ʔ preceding a voiceless stop creates gemination

• Ex: biʔpaŋ becomes bippaŋ

• A voiceless stop preceding an h aspirates the stop

• Ex: siːthal becomes siːtʰal

I’d prefer ergative/absolutive, but since it is the majority it’s alright.

From what I got
nouns are marked for plurality, and locativity(?)
verbs are marked for tense(past/present/future) and mood

1 Like

I added /x/ as an optional variation to /h/. I also changed the font for /a/ and /aː/ in the vowel chart to avoid any potential confusion with /ɑ/ and /ɑː/. Is this okay?

1 Like