Lets create our own language!

“A voiceless stop preceding an h aspirates the stop” means there’s gonna be a difference between aspirated stops and normal stops. won’t that be a bit of a problem for english speakers or

I think it can be all of them. Not in any specific case, my idea is that if someone can’t pronounce /h/, they can use a similar sound from their native language / the closest sound to it they can produce. For me it’s /x/.

Btw if you want to learn /x/, I hope this helps:

/x/ tutorial I made some time ago
  1. Say /k/ (for the ease of things, we’ll refer to it as ‘k’)
  2. Now say ‘k, k, k, k, k’ a couple of times.
  3. Whisper it. (It should sound something like ‘kh’)
  4. Elongate the ‘h’ in kh: ‘khhhh, khhhh, khhhh, khhhh’
  5. Eliminate the ‘k’ portion: ‘hhhh, hhhh, hhhh, hhhh’
  6. The ‘h’ you’re pronouncing should be the /x/. Try to play around with it to practice.
  7. Have fun!

I don’t mean to distinguish t from tʰ, just that’s how it is pronounced. I can’t really distinguish them to well, but since it doesn’t matter it’s fine.

And @Nie that helped me so much! Thank you!

1 Like

You’re Welcome!

Alright, so I think it is now time for some preliminary grammar.

Do we want SOV, SVO, VOS, etc?

And do we want to be head marking, tail marking, or a combination?

Maybe free word order? (I’ll be unresponsive for w while now, cause sleep)
Edit: Never mind. A restrective word order may be more interesting and easier to do.

1 Like

Could we do SVO then? I know this is definitely english bias but it feels the most logical, and is the only one im used to. I do want to do something interesting with word order though. Maybe allow omition of both subject and object?

Is it that the word order can be both SVO and OVS? I haven’t read 10000 wikipedia pages about grammar stuff yet, so I’m not really qualified to talk about it.

english has SVO (You did that) and sometimes OSV (What did you do?), but i would like to just stick to SVO. An ive been thinking about it, and allowing omition of everything would be a cool feature. It would allow for some very short sentences and weird scenarios.

“What did you do this evening?”

“I”

3 Likes

Sounds good to me. Instead of saying “I existed.” Just say “I”.

It would be kind of like someone asking what you were doing last night. And it would be grammatically correct to say “sleeping” instead of just what is normally said.

1 Like

That is what is normally said, even if it isn’t grammatically correct.

Yeah, thats what I said, but I want it to be the only correct way to do it in this language

I will not let this thread die, so here are some polls to focus in on the grammar of this as of yet unnamed project (we really need a name)

Should this language be

• Analytic,
  • Fusional,
  • or Agglutinative?

0 voters

What should we mark nouns for?

• Nothing
  • Number (singular/plural)
  • Number (singular/dual/plural)
  • Number (singular/paucal/plural)
  • Gender/Class (please say how you want to divide it up)
  • Locative (near-far etc,)
  • Other (please elaborate)

0 voters

I wonder if there would be a way to incorporate something thrive related into marking…

What should we mark our verbs for?

• Nothing
  • Tense (past/nonpast)
  • Tense (past/present/future)
  • Tense (nonfuture/future)
  • Tense (other - please elaborate)
  • Aspect (perfective/imperfective)
  • Aspect (other - please elaborate)
  • Mood
  • Other (please elaborate)

0 voters

What should our alignment be?

• Nominative/Accusative
  • Ergative/Absolutive
  • Other

0 voters

Anything else in terms of grammar?

1 Like

I voted tense other, and what i want is a relative tens, like in the future of the past (the story im telling you) he die(tense neutral die cause died implies past and it makes too little sense enough) of cancer , the past of the past of the past (before fusion is invented) of the future people die(tense neutral die cause died implies past and it makes too little sense enough) of cancer a lot.

1 Like

I’m NOT really good at grammar terms so I won’t vote. I don’t know what half of these mean :skull:

2 Likes

which ones? i just used wikipedia’s names for the featuers, so sorry if it wasnt very clear what each term was.

@Deathwake im a little confused. The first one seemed like a past perfective tense, but i dont understand the other ones.

1 Like

it wasnt technical terms im too lazy to use those, i sorta mean strict relative tense but im fine with absolute

2 Likes

glorpenoka dorkaborkadork!8!6

1 Like