Lets figure out Thrive 0.4.0 guys

Really easy to avoid? Well let me introduce you to jetfighter bacteria (as I like to call em)
[Forgot to take image]
They are very fast toxin bacteria that take down larger cells in groups of 5-10 and are belgiuming everywhere, they will swarm over you at first sight and bombard you with toxins, and if you run away you’ll just stumble upon another group of them right in front of you which basically pins you down between them. Its a constant persecution where you have to constantly be moving and dodging toxins while trying to reach the compounds which are most likely also swarmed with them, that was a monstrocity autoevo created in one of my playthroughs

Edit- Belgium why didnt it reply properly, gime a second
Edit2- oh wait it did

Hey Grom, looks like other are getting a bit more difficult outcomes then us, if you run through a playthrough and see some of them or bacteria like them please send a picture. I keep on seeing people with these deadly worlds and I just wan’t one lol

They basically just looked like tiny generic blue bacteria with a toxin vacuole, oh yeah they were small hard-to-hit targets too so even toxin cells were belgiumed

ah okay, I remember seeing someone with a bacteria the size of the starter cell so I wasn’t sure if these guys were super beings too

Nah, just tiny blokes, but speedy, shooty shooty, and had the most aggro ai ive ever seen, and were e v e r y w h e r e

2 Likes

I know that mitochondria are used for creating ATP at faster rates but I wanted to do a stick mainly with chloroplasts. Cytoplasm was added because I didn’t want the efficiency of the mitochondria. I figured just going with Cytoplasm would be a more interesting run and didn’t want to make it to easy on myself.

In my second evolution of Untustux pilaepsis i didn’t have any cytoplasm and I couldn’t keep up with the ATP needed for movement. I would quickly run out, although osmoregulation wasn’t a problem when sitting still.

In the third evolution the cytoplasm allowed me to move for a while but it wasn’t keeping up with glucose production or my ATP consumption, it just meant that I didn’t have to sit around as long as before

1 Like

Aggressive toxy bacteria are fun

You are getting very strong words on very strong paper about these new toxies, by the by.

Links to our little balancing discussion. Everyone is invited to join.
Lets figure out Thrive 0.4.0 guys - the beginning, where I analyse reasons behind my no-evo run being a success.
Lets figure out Thrive 0.4.0 guys - solutions proposed by myself
Lets figure out Thrive 0.4.0 guys - Colt44’s comments on my thoughts
Lets figure out Thrive 0.4.0 guys - my responce

you should make that post or the original post a wiki post so that other people can edit it and add their own links

“I dunno what these new organneles do” build

I think it is time to do some early game builds, and I’ve decided that I’m ready to test some new organneles.
I’ll skip expectations this time.
Start game:
1st evolution: 1 Nitrogen fixing plastid (NFP), 1 metabobolome

Well, I finally got a build which feels different from the rest. The game became harder, because I needed to collect more stuff, but my stats havent increased at all. I had no flagella, therefore I was always maxed out on ATP and I felt like metabolosome was redundant.
And let’s talk about NFP. Seriously, it costs 80 mp, but it does pretty much nothing. You get, like, 1 ammonium per 20 seconds. This is the definition of useless.
Grade: 8/10, still too easy, but I finally managed to die somehow.

Early game:
Evolution 2: 2 flagella, 1 vacuole, 1 cytoplasm

I just increased my atp consumption to 22 per second and found no glucose clouds. Luckily, I somehow managed to get into the editor before dying

Ev. 3: chloroplast, chemoplast, cytoplasm
To deal with my atp consumption I’ve placed organelles that can generate glucose from everything.
And the game crashed (granted, it was the first time the game crashed for me). I played with this build a bit, but I forgot to take a screenshot.
I managed to balance out my atp consumption, so the game became easy again. This is actually really interesting - game is hard only when you screw up in the editor. Further research is needed, I request doing more early game builds.
I would give this 7/10 overall

Double negative; means that it does something.

Sorry, not a native speaker, sometimes I forget things like these

Actually, I can already see some interesting tendencies with the early game builds.
At this point there were only three builds that scored lower than 8. There is one thing uniting these three cases - every one of them is hard, because the cell can’t produce ATP fast enough, or can’t keep up with it’s glucose consumption.
I think we won’t find any build that has no problems with atp or glucose, but is still hard to play.
Assuming I’m wrong and we actually manage to find such a build, we need to overanalyse that particular build
Assuming I’m correct, we need to find a way to fix this asap, because this is really bad for the game on multiple levels.
I think that some of the things proposed by me will help with this situation, but I don’t know if this is enough.
Probably some further compound rebalancing should be made. Probably, instead of decreasing the density of all clouds, only phosphates and ammonia should be decreased in quantity

1 Like

But… But… the nitrogen fixing plastic creates ammonium…
Also, I think this organelle would be, just like the chloroplast, way better if the game would have reached the point where compounds clouds don’t randomly spawn en masse, since they’d be the only way to obtain ammonium/glucose without having to kill other cells / spend way too much time scavenging.

Yeah, i meant ammonium. Thanks for pointing that out.
Also, you made a good point. I really like the idea of diminishing resources, but I feel like you’re given too much resources even from the start. Maybe the amount (or density) of clouds should drop after your first evolution and gradually decrease afterwards

I had this bug only once, but it crushed my eyes, for the game took 20 minutes after this bug to crash. When returning to my desktop, I couldn’t see any color but red… .

Yesterday I had another idea on rebalancing the game.
Right now most of the organelles aren’t worth their atp cost and that is the reason why all-around builds or simplistic builds are OP.
I think half of the organelles should be heavily buffed.
So, here are my thoughts:

First of all, flagellas are pretty much useless now, so, let’s fix that

• Base movement speed decreased from 2 to 1.5

• Flagella gives twice as much speed - these two changes should make player cell slower and, since pc cells often have flagella, you either have to get one as well or find a way to defend yourself. And having a flagella means increased atp cost which means that you need to deal with it

Second thing is that NFP is useless for its cost.

• NFP gives two times as much ammonia
  • NFP cost decreased by 10 mp - first change is obvious, the second one is more interesting. If NFP’s cost is 70, that means that you can take a flagella or vacuole on remaining 30 mp. First of all, that is another flagella buff, and vacuole can be useful as well, considering NFP means slower gameplay.

Well, that’s it for now. Later, I’ll start the journey to find the “wasted energy” build - build, which has no problems with ATP or glucose, but is still hard to play. Stay tuned

1 Like

Glucose factory build

I have tried to make a build that’s all about balancing the ATP production and consumption. I don’t want to add anything but that.

Start:
1st evolution - 2 cytoplasm, cloroplast, mytochondria.

Me and my buddy Joel

First of all, gameplay has become much slower. My cell was slower and I needed more resources. Other than that, I had no trouble getting to the next stage - other cells weren’t hunting me for some reason.
8/10 for now, but I fear that auto-evo can cause me some trouble later.

Also, that happened and game crashed:

[INFO] Species_2974 population is now -657

On my second run these guys showed up:
They are the reason this run was much more difficult.
I heard that devs want to make all species start as a single hex of cytoplasm. To that I say “Yes, please”.

Evolution 2: 1 NFP, 2 cytoplasm
Evolution 3: 1 NFP, 2 cytoplasm

Sooo… I think I have got the most useless set of organelles possible yet even the huge guys was not a big deal for me. I was still fast enough to outmaneuvre them.
And this game is so much more engaging and interesting, if you’re take your time and stop rushing to the next evolution. I was really glad I have tried it. But the most efficient strategy is speedrunning the hell out of the game. I feel like we should change that.
This build receives 8/10, it was easy, but slow. And that kinda proves my point.
A-and… this was my only idea on how to make a useless glucose factory. If you have any, share them with me.
For now, I think we have figured out enough. I want to thank Colt44 for helping me with this little project of mine.

Now, we can do something cool with the results…

hm.
a very efficient body plan.

3 Likes