Deathwake
(i nuked zenzone and will never let him forget it)
384
I got some upgrades over june…
i was gonna post a like neofetch or whatever but that’s 80% redundant information lol
point being, a decent aircooler and the 5900xt were both on sale for rly low amounts so now I have 16 cores!
I also got a 1 TB SSD a little bit ago and didn’t tell yall, and I fully moved everything onto Arch Linux!
Compiling stuff is a bit faster, browser lags a bit less maybe, and I like the new cooler, it seems very capable, it kept my CPU mostly under 65 c after minutes at 100% utilization (i recompiled my browser from source). Honestly the best part of the upgrade is the SSD, I finally have room!
actually in a stroke of utter comedy, I had installed windows on a space SSD for a gag right before the CPU went on sale. After upgrading windows sped up so dramatically it almost became usable. Linux, running loads of software all at once on a heavy DE (kde) is so, so, so much faster, it doesn’t slow down at all unless you run it on an ancient machine. Windows slows down when your have a mere 6 cores. Honestly while the random stutters have mostly gone away, windows still takes so long to boot it isn’t worth ever using.
2 Likes
aah31415
(The maker of SitF, Radiostrocity, The Lifenote and TGBing; The Second Ascended...; And just maybe a security warning come alive...?)
385
I presume you’ll be fine with your PC as a whole for a while now then?
2 Likes
Deathwake
(i nuked zenzone and will never let him forget it)
386
yeah this thing has basically no issues left lol.
I think my goals now will be to maybe do some ricing or otherwise make my setup more aesthetically pleasing. Similarly if i were to buy new hardware it would probably be a new case, as my current one is, while not ugly, kinda boring and irritating. Or yk, 4k monitor? My 1080p monitor is feeling kinda irritatingly low resolution, and i’d love to leave it in one of the few empty spaces in my room to be a local console for either my current rk3588 server or an upcoming ryzen 1700 server (used stuff is so goddamed awesome).
2 Likes
aah31415
(The maker of SitF, Radiostrocity, The Lifenote and TGBing; The Second Ascended...; And just maybe a security warning come alive...?)
387
How old is that 1K monitor btw?
2 Likes
Deathwake
(i nuked zenzone and will never let him forget it)
388
i think 2019? It’s quite modern and featureful it’s just cheap and only 1080p. Plus it doesn’t have the same dpi as my 1440p one so it the mouse is irritating when it jumps from one to the other
2 Likes
aah31415
(The maker of SitF, Radiostrocity, The Lifenote and TGBing; The Second Ascended...; And just maybe a security warning come alive...?)
389
You sure there won’t be a noticeable resolution gap between the 1440 and 4K?
1 Like
Deathwake
(i nuked zenzone and will never let him forget it)
390
I can barely see the pixels on my 1440p monitor! so i expect it’ll be reasonable. Anyways this is all a bit away I don’t have too much money to throw at computer ideas til maybe mid-fall when my job actually has had work to do and pay me for
2 Likes
aah31415
(The maker of SitF, Radiostrocity, The Lifenote and TGBing; The Second Ascended...; And just maybe a security warning come alive...?)
391
I presume the 1440 is going to last longer then before being replaced even if you have the resources to do so?
Ricing is a term in the Linux community that describes the action of customizing the “artstyle” of your desktop environment. Wallpaper, window manager, terminal theme, desktop theme, etc. Changing all of that to fit a specific artstyle is called ricing.
3 Likes
aah31415
(The maker of SitF, Radiostrocity, The Lifenote and TGBing; The Second Ascended...; And just maybe a security warning come alive...?)
401
I been away from the forum for awhile since I had to shut down my computer since I was building a new one!
It’s was my first time doing custom water-cooling so it was a pain in the ass to build but I am so happy with it!
It also didn’t help with all of the tariffs and belgium making all the parts unavailable or more expensive but oh well…
I used the Torrent — Full Tower PC Case case which look really nice especially since I went with white/light theme instead of the usual PC gamer black/dark
3 Likes
aah31415
(The maker of SitF, Radiostrocity, The Lifenote and TGBing; The Second Ascended...; And just maybe a security warning come alive...?)
403