Put your scientific misconceptions you had in childhood here

Thats how it should be in my opinion! If you ever watch the ice age series skip the first one. Just pretend it never was released.

I was looking through my old drawings folder to see if I could find any of my old earth drawings when I came across these pieces of art:

Google Blue ball machine, you will understand

When I was 8-10 years old I was addicted to quantum physics.

When I was very young, I had no understanding of parallax and thought that the Sun was following me.

Later, I had plans to go to space which included a bathtub full of ice cubes to protect me from all that flaming hot air in the upper atmosphere. (Understandable.)

Later still, I remember asking my parents if Adam and Eve were monkeys. I was on the verge of learning the terrible truth that not all beliefs are compatible.

1 Like

lol

Once in my catechesis (catholic go brrrr), I tried to create a theory that would explain the existence of other religions and the atheism.

Some were really good, but the only ones they accepted was that “Other religions were made by the devil to make people angry”

This explains a lot about history.

2 Likes

I used to think the earth had 365 day/night sections and if you wanted it to be Christmas, you just had to be where it was.

1 Like

i used to think the water rising when you get in a bathtub was because of your weight.
not entirely incorrect i guess…

When I was very little I thought trees waving in the wind actually produced the wind, more recently I believed that humans were blank slates society could upload whatever it wanted into it, and even more recently, only a few years ago I thought reptiles were a legal clade.

1 Like

Funny history

One time, I was in the hospital waiting to have surgery. I was waiting in my bed with my father. He told me that he had a device that transferred the dream I selected to my brain. I, curious, told him to press the beach one, but as I went to surgery, I didn’t see if it was true or not.
Now, I know there’s this lucid dream stuff, hypnagogia, etc.

But if I had that equipment, everything would have been easier.

What surgery you had mr planet?

One misconception I had was that cells were like spore “cells”

I once thought evolution was something that things could choose. like in forum games. So that the species could make choices each generation what they wanted to change. Man i was dumb

Idk, I think something related to the nose or ear

I use to think that cells looked like Spore cells and that some people were born with black nails due to genetics (instead of black nail varnish)

Not really scientific, but until I was 6 I thought military air shows were a thing to scare Hitler into not invading my country (the UK)

Hitler was many decades dead before I was even born

1 Like

I used to think living things had cells in the same way non-living things had molecules (same size, similar function, ect)

1 Like

I used to think i would suffocate to death if i closed the windows

1 Like

I thought if I left the freezers door open, over time the house can get so cold that snow can start to accumulate in the house.

4 Likes

This is one that I only figured out recently so it might surprise you guys too. I always thought starfish body plans had more than one planes of symmetry (radial or the such), but it turns out they’re actually bilaterally symmetrical just like we are. Another fun fact is that echinoderms - which includes starfish - are one of the most closely related animals to vertebrates in the entire kingdom.

2 Likes

I once thought evolution was something that things could choose. like in forum games. So that the species could make choices each generation what they wanted to change. Man i was dumb

Some people still have this misconception, and it isn’t too far off from Lamarckian evolution, so maybe not as dumb as you think.

I always thought starfish body plans had more than one planes of symmetry (radial or the such), but it turns out they’re actually bilaterally symmetrical just like we are.

Their larvae are bilateral, but I thought adults were still considered radially symmetrical for all intents and purposes. Unless I’m wrong?

Looking it up briefly, it looks like starfish are considered approximately radial in adulthood, but are made bilateral because that symmetry is broken up by their madreporite (the hole they use to intake water). Who would have thought.
It seems that they also demonstrate bilateral tendencies at times; when stressed, they only move in two directions as opposed to the multiple directions they can move normally. I was also thinking of the formal classification of Bilateria.

1 Like

Oh, neat! Also, you’re right – they’re nested pretty comfortably in Bilateria, aren’t they?

(Forgive the double-post. I guess deleting a post doesn’t actually delete it…)