Put your scientific misconceptions you had in childhood here

It does after 24 hours if it doesn’t get flagged or edited further. That’s just a Discourse feature meant to allow people to report offensive posts that were deleted before they managed to hit the report button.

1 Like

It’s not exactly science, but that’s how I imagined 'merica when I was younger.

2 Likes

I thought America only had three time zones lol, excluding Hawaii and Alaska

I also thought Alaska and the entire western half of the main US were the same size. Alaska is big, but not that big lol

I used to believe all eggs had baby chicks in them, and we just eat the super undeveloped ones

2 Likes

I used to think that whenever something hit a dirty surface the bacteria on said surface multiplied at light speed to cover the new object.

2 Likes

I used to think that you couldn’t see where I was looking if I only turned my eyes.

Pretty common misconception: I thought black holes were like space tornadoes. Actual spinning vortexes with wind and everything, except unimaginably strong and- well- in space. Mainly due to the misconception they ‘suck’ things and them often being represented as literal holes, leading to a vortex-like shape.

Nowadays black holes are probably my favorite objects in the whole universe and I can safely say they are so, so much cooler than what I had ever imagined back then. I hope it becomes commonplace to teach kids what black holes really are and how they really look and act.

4 Likes

When i whas 9 i thought women get pregnet by kising

3 Likes

Now I know that its because of handholding

8 Likes

now i know it is because of loving each other very much

2 Likes

And then he plants a little seed in mommy using supposedly exotic gardening techniques

sorry, but thats a common misconception.

I would often imagine all of the bacteria just speedrunning and multiplying to an object that fell. It was quite overstimulating since I was imagining them multiplying endlessly.

1 Like

you live in brazil? filler text filler text

Ayo thats kinda sussss…

Sim Senhor! Sou brasileiro
Acre > Ohio

i whas never in this chat disapears

I thought helium balloons (the one that carries people) had a bad design. Why wouldn’t they compress the gas and use its lifting abilities without having it to occupy so much space? I thought that you couldn’t cover it with a layer of metal to make it strong against birds which may damage it with their claws, it would become too heavy. But if the gas was compressed like lng, the material around it wouldn’t need to be that much. Maybe I though, the balloons wouldn’t even need to look like balloons, they could be designed to look like flying cars.

Second misconception, I watched a documentry about hysterical strength when I was small (people lifting cars in a high adrenalin situation, that sort of stuff) and I though we all had secret super powers. Our subconscious mind was able to use our full potential, but it didn’t allow our conscious mind to do the same because it wasn’t worthy or wouldn’t use it the right way. (Sleepwalkers and drunk people can survive falling from a higher building but that is due to muscles being relaxed). Now I think an ability that rarely gets used wouldn’t evolve and worthyness was from the Thor movie I think.

1 Like

That all fish would evolve into amphibians, and all amphibians would evolve into reptiles, and all reptiles evolved into dinosaurs, and all dinosaur evolved into birds, and all birds evolved into mammals. Also though not my scientific misconception but my dad said that birds are a type of mammals and that animals are just mammals and not a whole kingdom of organisms.

This is not exactly a scientific misconsception, but when my dad told me what communism was for the first time, I pictured a mob of people mowing a lawn synchronized, all with fake smiley faces, all looking the same, with bee swarm music playing in the background.

1 Like