Quick Question Thread

Simply put: You probably can, but it isn’t a great idea. Like how @tjwhale said in this thread: Chloroplasts are very heavy, so moving around just isn’t worth it while using them. The analogy he used: Imagine the chloroplast as a backpack that weighs 20 kg but produces 1 sandwich per day. You’ll have a to lug around a 20 kg backpack around for only a single sandwich per day, so it’ll be better to just either drop the backpack and go sandwich-less (and find your own food), or get a lot of those backpacks, enough to sustain yourself and don’t move around at all.

2 Likes

Oh, I’ve never realized chloroplasts are this inefficient, it actually explains a lot. In that case let’s say there may be some combination. For example mature creature will have chloroplasts and photosynthesise to a very small extent, but it will grow flowers, then they will get polinated, produce fruits and seeds. They will plant those seed and it could grow as a plant. However, during their growing (let’s call it “childhood”) they will develop lungs, hearts, etc. And then legs. Their parents would feed them during this phase, or they could grow up some fake fruits or something to eat from their own body. After that they would separate from their roots and became independant on photosynthesis, but still keep some plant like features. I mean they could grow treebark instead of skin or grass like thing instead of hair. The tree bark could grow after the individual matures, like humans grow beard or something like that. Analogy to this could be insects, with their larval stage.

Would something like this be possible? Like if we could evolve our own life cycle of our creatures? Just not to stay with the classical mammal/egg scenario. I know this would probably be insane load of work, but still, could be awesome if evolution could take different path that we know of. We would just need to figure out the efficiency of all the components involved in making such creature.

Sorry that was way longer then I expected :smiley:

1 Like

What’s the ultimate goal of Thrive? For spore it’s to get to the center of the galaxy but when can someone say they won Thrive.

When they manage to build and power the ascension gate allowing their species to turn into pure energy.

http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/ascension

What color of chlorophyll will Thrive have?

That would depend on what color the plants need to absorb… Plus, while I think chlorophyll is always green, perhaps other substances could be used that we haven’t discovered here on Earth? Say, something to absorb any light but blue? Maybe absorb any light but red? (That could be used to make some kind of creepy, blood-covered-looking planet for October, A.K.A. Spooktober)

Either that or transcend into sentient salt pillars.

Im pretty sure that earth was once purple

2 Likes

We talked about this in one of the podcasts. Tis where the blue cell meme came from.

How would we build skin will we make only one small pattern or place every hair on the skin?

sounds fun.

You’ll develop the general pattern, most likely.

1 Like

I reckon we would use a brush tool to add hair/feathers, so we could have different lengths in different areas

3 Likes

What is the furthest that you can progress as a plant? What steps would you have to take in order to reach the Space Stage as such?

How do you get evolution points? Breeding to be reaslistic so the player will do stuff that animals do instead of being immortal and just have some comfy time when want to change or just by killing and befriend stuff like spore?

How about having a brain required to invent even the most basic technologies?

2 Likes

probably the same as how it is now: You reproduce, make some small changes, and repeat

I offered the idea for a creature that was immortal, it world game mutation points from eating other creatures and enter a caccoon or hibernation state to evolve. There were a few other ideas but I don’t feel like saying them because I began specifying certain traits.

How would that work from an evolutionary standpoint tho?

1 Like

Immortality? There’s always the immortal jellyfish, that reverts to being a juvenile every so often.

that’s basically Spore

Spore again
And what @Omicron sed it true it cant evolve for evolution mutations must happen and no amount of mutations can change an adult creature the egg cell must be mutated for evolution.
Natural selection states that badly adapted animals will die and the good one will reproduce, the good genes get transferred to the next generation, it cant evolve in the shell cuz it doesn’t know what mutations are bad and which are good.