Quick Question Thread

This is a very earth way of thinking. The creatures on an alien planet don’t have to conform to the same ways of evolution as what happens on earth. These creatures could do as @Biologicah referenced with the immortal jellyfish, they can revert themselves to a younger form in a caccoon state. During this process they could apply their mutation points and evolve, then emerge a new creature.

1 Like

But the jellyfish evolve in generations a single individual cant evolve it doesn’t know what mutations are good and that will be true for aliens.

That is where the mutation points from eating comes in, it’s the creature stealing traits from the things it eats and evolving the favorable ones.

Yes, but then it just that spore feeling, y’know?

I thought that Thrive was suppose to have that spore feeling, but with a scientific/educational tone?

That’s gene transfer i think i don’t know the word and some microbial life has it but a multicellular animal cant change all of its stem cells.

There is such a thing as RNA editing, allowing environmental pressures to change what compounds are produced by reading DNA, but as always, complex organisms cannot evolve much. No extra limbs for you today. For a virus or jellyfish, this may work out, but for a complex organism, reverting to a juvenile state is almost like suicide and leaving an orphan.

2 Likes

I think Steve has some nostalgia for leaving the water in spore and creating a new animal that doesn’t look like the “cell”

I remember @Steve stating that he has never played Spore.

He stated that he stopped a long time ago.

Alright, continue then.

I think this does count as killing itself I guess, during the cocoon state it’s essentially breaking itself down then rebuilding itself with the new traits it “acquired” from other species. This isn’t a short process this would take years to do. This could have a plant equivalent but this is definitely meant for very mobile and aggressive behavior.

This doesn’t grow the population it would be more efficient to just kill the last generation and leave the next to survive.

But isn’t steve’s pfp from spore?

And isn’t the thing in the pfp named Steve?

This creature doesn’t have a population, it’s independent. I have a few ideas for late game but yeah, it doesn’t have a population to grow.

im confused

1 Like

It would die a disaster needs just to kill one and the animal is dead Those jellyfish aren’t actually immortal u can kill them but it means they can’t die a natural death only a death by force

First, whenever I say immortal I mean it can’t die of old age, nothing is literally immortal. And if one dies so what there could be an entire planet of creatures like these, where no creature is exactly the same as another. We keep basing aliens off Earth but this is something very out there but I think is possible.

Steve im exhausted disproving ur BS i will leave u and if a planet is filled with nonreproductive species only an extinction must happen to lower the pop forever