Quick Question Thread

i would love to make a dragon like pangolin creature that has wings and has claws the are sharper then a kantana

Is there a thread designated for different ranged attacks creatures could evolve, if there isn’t I might make one.

Seen it but I’m talking about things that might evolve that don’t exist on Earth.

Maby a cannon like a thing where the animal grows nail like stuff that detaches from the body when its threatened and shoots out by pressure build up from a chamber behind the projectile

1 Like

I thought of that and I just added the extra detail of it being filled with venom that would kill or disable the creature shot.

Or it could produce oils that can be enflamed by digestive fluids, body heat, or other means, then spew it.

Or it can drink water and use body heat to make it really hot, then spew it.

Like the bombardier beetle?

This is a species of beetle that, when threatened, mixes two chemicals in their abdomen, which then creates a mixture of water and 1,4-Benzoquinone, an irritant to the eyes and respiratory systems, at around 100°C, even vaporizing a part of the liquid, which then expands rapidly and sprays out of the abdomen (it’s also capable of aiming the spray with some impressive precision)

2 Likes

So, in other words, it’s possible to begin the game as a plant but then later develop a brain?

1 Like

I’m not sure how possible that would be. As once you become a plant it’s probably pretty hard to move back to being an animal in order to have enough energy to support a brain.

Then what’s the furthest that you can go before having to make a final decision between plant and animal? Can you develop chloroplasts early in the Microbial Stage and then later change your mind?

Couldn’t u be symbiotic with photosynthetic cells? Like ur an animal and u eat plant cells and keep them alive inside of u, I know 1 animal does this but don’t remember the name.
Edit: found a video

1 Like

How will electric vision (idk the word) be simulated?

1 Like

How long will each stage be? I remember hearing that the Microbe stage would take around 2 - 3 hours to finish.

2 Likes

Good god, please no.

I mean, it depends. If the microbe stage is at least engaging, should be fine.

Definitely should be an hour at most for microbe.
For the other stages, I suppose it would depend on how quickly you progress in terms of intelligence and complexity, then in technological advancement for post-aware.

I don’t know how long they’ll be, but they’ll theoretically be longer than spore’s stages at least.

Electroreception? Likely similar to echolocation.
Echolocation would theoretically produce an image of the surrounding environment based on either sounds you make bouncing off of objects or those objects producing sound of which then idk how that’d be turned into an image.
Electroreception (if I understand it correctly) would be mostly black/grey with some sort of indicator of a nearby object when the electroreception electrorecepts.

2 Likes

Yeah… I really hope that’s not gonna happen. Spore was already pretty annoying, where they stopped you from becoming a stronger cell once you’ve reached maximum-DNA, really annoyed the min-maxer in me.
Currently, a single generations already takes a couple minutes, so that should be around 10 generations in which you’ll progress from a single, possibly flaggela- and mitochodrium-less cell to basically an apex predator if done correctly. That’s a bit too fast for my taste. (Now that I think about it, how would multicellular creatures with pili work? Because if they just “couple” at first, then the chance of one accidentally stabbing another one is a bit too high)

Unlike spore, in thrive you have the option to just keep playing and expanding your cell as long as you want. In fact ideally, if a player really wants to stick to microbe they should be able to play until their sun gets so warm it knocks out all life on their planet, so you can play a long time. Though generations in the microbe stage will pass time more quickly then a generation in for example the multicrellular stage because the earth was populated by microbes for 3 billion years until multicelled organisms evolves.

As i always say, if you dont think playing as a microbe can be engaging, you dont know enough about microbes. There are crazy microbes with crazy abilities IRL. Also all the types of pilus, all the different chemicals, all the differnet organelles, all the different kinds of microbes. There are even microbes that look like multicellular organisms, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Stentor_roeseli_composite_image.jpg < they have trrumpet like mouth structure and can stretch extremely long and snatch up prey, its cool.

Didiniums spin to eat:

Drama AF:

Stentor:

Euglena:

There is an IMMENSE amount of potential variety:
https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Microbial_Biorealm

7 Likes

Can we have “GO TO THE LIGHT” be a sound when you’re playing a motile plant?

That would be funny.