Quick Question Thread

1. We currently have the Microbial stage.

2. We already have a Discord server.

discord.gg/FZxDQ4H

1 Like

This might be a good place to repeat the questions I asked about eusociality and caste systems in an extra thread but that never really got anywhere:

1. Reproducing is neccessary to use the Editor, correct? Now what would happen, if the player chooses to play in Organism Mode as one of the castes, which does not reproduce? If I had the choice between playing as a soldier termite, or as termite queen, I know which one I would choose. But then how do we access the Editor and evolve our species further? When interacting with an hatching egg perhaps?
  2. Would it be allowed to use certain castes, maybe designed to be stronger and bigger at the cost of intelligence, to be used as beasts of burden or mounts by their smaller and smarter brethren, similar to domesticated species?
  3. If each visit in the Organism Editor grants you the same amount of Mutation points it usually does, how should it be distributed? To be spend and divided between the evolution of different castes as you see fit, or if each caste gains their mutation points individually (You get the same standard amount of MP per Editor-session for each caste), without the possibility of redistributing leftover MP from one caste to another.
4 Likes

That’s a really in depth question

For the first bit if you go the caste route where you have a reproductive queen and non-reproductive workers you will probably be playing strategy mode. And the way you get to the editor would be different. That is one of the ways to get access to a basic strategy mode earlier.

For your second question, I cant see why not. So yes

For your third: For having castes, I think it’s likely you will have to distribute your points through your castes

For different mechanics, I was thinking of a more complex type of organism on a planet.

" In a sense the succulent-rich savannas are the closest Darwin IV comes to true oceans, for the quantity of water trapped in the plants is vast. "

―Wayne Barlowe

As such, the largest remaining ocean on Darwin IV is located in the Northern hemisphere, the Amoebic Sea, a gelatinous superorganism that covers about 5% of the planets surface. Could organisms like this exist in the game? An entire colony of single celled organisms formed into one vast creature?

Quick Question: What will happen to RG after Thrive?
Will the devs sit back and sleep, content with their work?
Or will they work on another game?

I think it will be quite difficult to decide as a team to work on a new project unrelated to thrive. But probably some members will be able to come up with a project that they want to work on.

I don’t think this is a realistic thing to ponder at this point as it might take a decade to “finish” thrive, and even then work on it can continue basically infinitely.

Will a species be considered spacefaring when they colonies their first planet in their solar system or is it when they develope FTL?

As far as the game is concerned I don’t think “spacefaring” is a significant term. The stage shift to space stage happens once the first spaceship manages to get to space (perhaps an useful definition is that it gets into an orbit that lasts at least a few orbits before decaying).

When you do start to build your first rocket in the space stage, would you have to research parts and other technology in order to that? Would it work similar to the spaceship editor in spore, where you’re given a selection of parts?

I was thinking that you would get a selection of parts, but only ones that are currently available. When you do begin to research more on rocket science, more parts begin to be accessible.

First parts: Extremely inefficient engine, blocky wings, un-aerodynamic cockpit that will burn up when going faster than 5m/s etc.

i think you should make your own

If I remember correctly, the general consensus on earlier threads was to have it be a bit like Kerbal Space Program - science mode or something, where you start out with crappy materials and slowly make your way up to nuclear reactors and stuff (and even go beyond to reach FTL reactors)

Is there something you want to have done before reaching out and advertising the game a bit more? Something like “We’d like to start spreading the awareness by the version 0.4.5., when we’re planning to have done this and this and this by then”, or is it gonna be more of the sudden “Yeah, I think we’re ready”?

The current plan is to get 0.4.0 released in a reasonable timeframe and then try to find more developers to really polish 0.4.1 and then do a major outreach push then.

1 Like

We need to get some famous youtubers to play this, that might help.

Ive got a couple on call. They arent huge youtubers but pretty big.

Care to mention their YouTube names?

It’s not a good idea to mention their names publicly as that might lead to all sorts of trouble and them totally declining after that.

Not sure if you meant their irl names or usernames, but i understand either way.