Quick Question Thread

That means I can recreate the Ice Age franchise in Thrive.

The wonders of technology, i’ll tell you.

1 Like

So, I just watched Untrusted’s Saurian gameplay. Regarding both visuals and gameplay, how much is Thrive supposed to be like Saurian? Except all the… evolving stuff. Just speaking of “a typical day of your creature”.

We want a mimimalist UI, we want you to experience your creatures life, running from predators, hunting etc. Hopefully though, with less slow bits where you run around for awhile.

BTW heres the video Zahyyy is talking about:

4 Likes

And will Thrive be able to visually reach similar level of graphics?

I doubt it, i bet Thrive will have similar graphics to Spore or higher, we can never know for sure.

I had an idea, and I’m wondering if it’ll be possible in-game. Basically, the creature is an ant-bee-thing and it produces a living photosynthetic ‘gel’ and releases it to come back later and eat it. Is it possible?

1 Like

This is a cool idea and I don’t particularly see a reason why it wouldn’t be possible. I mean I guess it’s a bit like a human making a beer or something, using microrganisms to process resources and in return propagating them.

There’s ants that farm fungus, for example, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080324173459.htm

How would I be able to detach the photosynthetic cells in the editor?
…maybe make a cell that kills itself to let go of the photosynthetic cells?

IIRC you’re going to be able to create different ‘castes’, though I’m not sure if you can (or should be able to) add organelles your main creature doesn’t have (chloroplasts). It would take many generations too, and the in-between generations would not be great to say the least. (Making it very unlikely to happen IRL)

You’d also be pretty vulnerable to creatures that break in the ‘hive’ to eat the moss/gell/algae/whatever

I thought it would just release the gel anywhere, not really create a ‘hive’ at all. It would spend the time away from the gel searching for water, probably. If it did make a hive, maybe go off of an earlier idea I had, a semi-silicon based creature that uses the waste quartz to build. Would that be possible?

Well, female mammals are able to produce milk. That’s a gland not found in the other caste. Photosynthesis just tends not to be viable in more complex organisms.
One way to circumvent this is having one gender be motile and the other be like a tree, but there’s probably a maximum genetic divergence allowed between castes. Think of how embryos develop, it’s all variants on one base.

1 Like

I’m not sure that leaving your gel around would be a viable survival technique. Perhaps the Ant-bee thing could coat itself in this gel so it is always accessible… Plus it would act like a natural form of protection.

1 Like

How will the the world feel like when your roaming around?
I personally hope it’s like the game The Isle

I think the “feel” will vary depending on what kinda life you have on your planet. You can be a tiny creature with redwood-like trees looming over forests, or you could be a hulking monster trampling over 100 foot long ferns.

That reminds me, how would automatic generation be handled with planets you visit through space travel? I would think planets wouldn’t be as detailed as your home world, due to your planet having time to sift through several hours of auto evolve and the likes.

We’ll definitely need to cut some corners regarding other planets in the space stage. We probably could fill them with pregenerated species and run a simplified terrain generation to fake them well enough.

1 Like

I mean, we could have a set of generic premade species, that when put out for the player they could be randomised a bit. Therefore, its highly unlikely you’d encounter the same animal twice.

2 Likes

I wonder if No Man’s Sky follows this method of procedural generation - having a few defined bases, but nearly infinite ways to modify those bases.
How I want to see planets being generated is by having one creature base per planet, then making a couple morphological variants - like Earth’s chordates, all with a four-limbed structure.

I think what no mans sky did was have a whole bunch of premade body parts (like I mean thousands) and glue them together randomly to create new creatures. The colour scheme was also randomly generated too.

Will there be an male, and female editor for creature stage? (Sorry if this question is a little far ahead.)

Yes, there are gender differences planned.