Quick Question Thread

This is one of those ideas that I don’t see a reason why it couldn’t be included. It’ll be a long time before it becomes relevant as we aren’t near the stage where this could be added.

How would that work? Would you have a menu for selecting which species to play as? And what would the other species do while you are evolving the other? Would it be AI controlled and auto-evo or do you need to keep swapping between them each editor session to keep them both going?

Like in Sims, where I ruin one person’s life and then switch while I wait for the computer to sort them back out again.

if the species your playing as goes extinct, can you pick the closest relative of that species?

Yes that is the planned system of dealing with a ‘Game Over’

4 Likes

will there be an option to choose how long each editor cycle is (say instead o a few million years you can choose to evolve little by little every couple hundred thousand years)

There has been a discussed feature where you can decide to spend less time in the editor (though you’d also get less MP), but this was ultimately rejected (I think), since among other reasons there isn’t really a reason to get less MP, and the feature would probably never be used, resulting it in being a waste of the devs time to implement.

how long will the modeling in the creature editor take? (like making a foot for example)

It would take as long as it does when one can do it.
In short: We don’t know.

1 Like

So how good must a computer be to play finished thrive?

Species can makes some pretty cool creatures with unique limbs if you let it go, oh idk, 50 hours at 10x speed.

I want to aim to have Thrive playable on around 8 years old computers at any given time. With that benchmark it was a bit soon to break the game for integrated graphics from 2012. But in a few years I think we can hit that goal as long as there aren’t a lot of laptops with 4GB of ram. So the aim is not to be as heavy as AAA games, but still heavier than many simple indie games.

In short, it’s not gonna be flash game levels of simple, and not Space Engineers level of powerful.

I wouldn’t consider Space Engineers AAA level graphics (and requiring a ton of graphics power), at least the last time I played it, it seemed something we could accomplish.

will there be small disasters like a tsunami

Yes disasters that can spice up a playthrough are planned, and there have been ideas thrown around where you can decide which disasters you want at the starting of a playthrough, to even allow for bigger disasters like meteor impacts which can throw an entire species back a stage or two.

thanks for quick feedback and nice idea

can you add like a virus AI it would be great!

They have deemed that viruses would not be fun to play against and that there is no good way to implement them.

the real question is are there actually ancient viruses? and how long do they date back to.

Please don’t double post, edit your post instead. But I think your new, so welcome! I like your profile pic. Also
@TheXenomorphian what’s an ancient virus exactly?