Quick Question Thread

So do you mean its an occasional phenomenon, which would happen by a microbe taking compounds from another cell’s excretions, but not a ‘for-life’ friendship, as the colonies/clumping do?

I thought you were trying to make it an alternative of the colony symbiosis , but I guess I misinterpreted you . When you said

I thought it as a alternative to clumping as cells would share nutrients but it isnt as effective, so i guess i need to say sorry by wasting our time with useless discussion

2 Likes

Sorry if I sounded harsh.

2 Likes

You should have said it before :sweat_smile:

1 Like

hello guys i just want to ask can i draw a backround idea and show it to you?

1 Like

well of course
you can put it in the fanart thread

2 Likes
Cytoplasm is NOT a protein. Since cytoplasm is what contains organelles, “cytosol” should be employed as the right term. The cytosol is a mix of many molecules such as water, ions AND proteins.

*double post

When’s the next livestream?

When the next release is if there are enough developers that promise to show up.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn’t Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread

What are the new auto-evo prototype features (the one which i guess its coming in 0.5.2)?
As the ‘species respond to patches’ issue in github was closed I’m guessing it is coming in the next release

It’s based on @tjwhale’s prototype that is based on energy amounts. The organelles in the species give energy based on what compounds are available in a patch. As a result the species will adapt to get organelles that give them energy or predation energy in the patches they are in.

2 Likes

What will happen to microbes with chloroplasts that don’t evolve to become plants in the aware stage? Will they be able to, weakly, photosynthesize or will they just give you a nice shade of green to colour with?

I would assume it depends on how many chloroplasts you had

Simple, you would become a photosynthesizing animal! It’s entirely possible, and while it is unlikely you will be able to completely sustain yourself on it, it will certainly mean you will have to eat less often but will need to stay in the sun. You will be able to photosynthesize just as well as plants, but unlike plants you will not be dedicated entirely to it, so you wont be able to survive off of it alone.

This has been discussed in the past. If being a moving around plant / animal hybrid was super useful, wouldn’t that exist on earth as well?
For that reason I really like the idea of making there be just two choices in thrive (when LAWK is on):

• Load up on chloroplasts so much that you get your energy from them, but become too heavy to move or have a brain
  • Get rid of all chloroplasts as they reduce your efficiency in moving around and go all in on just eating whatever is doing the photosynthesis to get your energy (basically become a herbivore)

that is quite limiting and I don’t see a point inn purposely restricting something because it doesn’t make perfect sense. if it isn’t efficient, then players will learn not to do it, and eventually evolve away from it.

That’s what I’m saying. Photosynthesis energy needs to be balanced in the game so that it is just not worth it to use it unless you pick one of the two choices I gave.

But it does! While they’re rare and do not obtain their chloroplasts naturally (instead taking it from eaten algae), there actually exists at least one animalistic species which uses photosynthesis to supplement their energy intake.

5 Likes

My intent is for photosynthesis to only be a viable source of energy if you specialize in it, otherwise it will simply be a nice supplemental supply of energy that maybe helps you need to hunt slightly less often. It might be difficult to find that balance, but that is my goal.

Since binding agents are maybe gonna be added next release does that mean that we are getting a multicellular stage next version, if not what do the binding agents do?